Anyone try out the new type ceramic car waxes?

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by WALLEYE MIKE, Oct 20, 2020.

1. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

I thought I'd give some a try. Its made by turtle wax and is sprayed on after you wash and rinse. Spray on and wipe dry with a towel. Surface of the truck is nice and slick and shiny. We'll see how it lasts.

2. Shagy

Shagy

Funny you ask this. I was just looking at the ceramic coatings for boats and was wondering if anyone has had it applied to boat. I have read great things about it. I may try this on my truck as well.

3. Slimshady

Slimshady

Has anyone tried this on their painted aluminum boat yet? I have thought about trying it, but didn't know how well it would work on boats.

Scout 2 likes this.
  4. tincanary

tincanary

5. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Pulled the truck out of the garage. Looks pretty good. Maybe a bit more shine than before (waxed 5 month ago).
    Maybe try the RV next.

6. fishmark

fishmark Premium Member

I was going to have it done at a detail shop until they gave me a price.
    500.00 I thought it must be a refinish with rubbing compound for that price.

eucman likes this.
  7. Big Frank 25

Big Frank 25 Premium Member

8. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Just heard about this today at work, no opinion yet. Might try it though.

9. tincanary

tincanary

That job quote will probably include a clay bar, polish, and ceramic coating. No sense in ceramic coating if you have contaminants embedded in the paint. It's pretty labor intensive and to do it right, all trim and moldings must be taped off so they aren't damaged. A friend of mine owns a mobile detail business and his prices start out at $600 just for the outside. If there's any paint correction involved or he does the engine and interior on top of it, you're looking at over $1000 easy. https://www.facebook.com/autolavish/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    jiggin is livin and fishmark like this.
  10. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

$20 Turtle Wax ceramic coating you buy at Walmart or Meijers is not the same as professionally applied ceramic coatings. That’s why one costs $20 and the other costs $1000.

Cat Power likes this.
  11. tincanary

tincanary

The professional ceramic coatings run about triple what the Turtle Wax product runs if you were to do it yourself. I paid $50 for my CQuartz UK. I had the CQuartz on my car for the first 3 years I had it, it's so effective that washes are super easy and require minimal or no scrubbing at all. Wax, while not necessary with a coating, can also be applied on top of the ceramic coating for an even better finish. I'd put Dodo Juice Supernatural on mine twice a year and the paint was so nice you'd get lost in it. Most of the price in a professional detail job is in the labor, not the products used. It takes about a day to do it right.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  12. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

The OP was talking about a product made by Turtle wax. That’s not a ceramic coating as defined by the manufacturers of ceramic coatings.

Here is a video explaining some car finishes in today’s market, how they’re applied and what are the best products for your vehicle.

Most vehicle owners don’t have the expertise and patience to properly apply a true ceramic coating.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  13. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

My old truck was white. It had brake dust on it when I bought it. Finally made up by mine I had to wash it GOOD and clay bar it before I wax it to do it all right. Bought all the stuff and thought “how hard could this be!?”

Sheeettttt, 12 hours later I was ALMOST done and I couldn’t move my arms anymore. That was the cleanest, softest/smoothest paint I’ve ever seen or felt in my entire life though! I couldn’t stop touching it.

I will THROW $500 at someone to do that if I ever need it again. Never, ever, again.

14. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

:lol:

That’s what I’m talking about!!:lol::lol:

15. Big Frank 25

Big Frank 25 Premium Member

I sound add my son got this whip totally detailed. Hearing prices here. I guess he did get stung at all!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DanSS26 and tincanary like this.