Anyone plant Native Grasses on Small Properties?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by marksman72, Apr 21, 2018.

1. marksman72

marksman72

I have 13 wooded acres that I've been doing Habitat work on for sometime now. We have small 1/4 acre food plots with annuals and perennials. I've hinged-cut some areas also that have come in nice with thick prickers and native species. Was thinking of clearing out some other areas to plant Native Grasses like Bluestem or Switchgrass for diversity. Anyone else do this on smaller, wooded properties?

2. Carelapse

Carelapse

Bluestem will look better there, i recommend it

jparks02 and marksman72 like this.

3. OSXer

OSXer

I don't see why you couldn't so long as you insure good sunlight. Partial sunlight and you'll get partial results (thin, slower growth).

I've planted SG on a property in similar size to yours, but in an old field setting. I liked it in both more blocky areas for bedding/buffering and in linear 10yard swaths for screening. Big blue stem would look prettier overall throughout the year, but will not stand up near as long as SG. I have some scattered in for the look.

jparks02 likes this.
  4. stickman1978

stickman1978

I have got about 20 plants of Big Blue stem and some thing else I have grown from seed in pots. Hopefully I will have it planted in various spots to aid as screening. The idea is to go back and divide it later if I want more plants. Not looking for mass quantities to maintain just adding a little diversity.

jparks02 and marksman72 like this.
  5. marksman72

marksman72

I like the pot idea. Want to add some diversity as well. :)

jparks02 likes this.
  6. Osceola

Osceola

I planted a mix of Big and Little Blue Stem, Indian and Switch grass. It doesn't stand up well to heavy snows, so it does't provide much winter cover. Knowing what I know now, I would plant Switchgrass only, which I intend to do in some other areas.

7. hunterrep

hunterrep

Exactly what I planted with the same results. Because I got sick of seeing a flat useless field of grass after the first couple snows, I spent an entire growing season going through my 13 acre NWSG field, sprayed several 8' wide strips to kill the NWSG that was there and frost seeded straight switchgrass. At least these strips will remain standing and break up the field instead of the whole field being flat as a pancake after a snow. I was very disappointed with the Big Blue, Little Blue standability. Very weak plants that provides zero cover when it is needed the most.

8. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

This will be my first year planting the grasses and I plan to go with straight Cave In Rock switch. Need to get some Simazine soon, then spray the gly once or twice and then drill the seed in June. Hoping to get good results that will stand up here in the "Banana Belt" of the U.P.

9. stickman1978

stickman1978

So the Cave In Rock holds up to snow?

marksman72 and cakebaker like this.
  10. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I have no personal knowledge of it yet Stickman....but Jeff Sturgis and others on this forum seem to think it holds up far better than NWSG. Fortunately, being in the U.P. "Banana Belt" we don't get near as much snow as much of the U.P. does. Time will tell...

marksman72 and stickman1978 like this.
  11. Plant175

Plant175

It holds up pretty good but if your first snow is wet and heavy it will be pretty flat the next day. Mine is standing pretty good yet but last weeks wet snow probably has flattened it.

12. smith34

smith34

A heavy wet snow can lay it down, when it melts, it pops back up. Typical winter snow does not mat it down. When I did my planting’s (and doing more this year) I did add one flavor of bbs with cir and one other flavor of switch that suits my soil well. The 3 work together well and continue to stand well. I didn’t go straight cir due to my soils, not to mention I like variety, but the 2 others in the mix work exceptionally well in my sand box.

13. Jet08

Jet08

No sand at my place but very similar results. I had one heavy snow and one ice storm that knocked it down but it popped right back up and is still standing strong. I am actually a little concerned about the amount of sunlight that will be able to get to the new growth here in a couple weeks.. Mine is a CIR, Big Blue, Indiangrass mix.

marksman72 likes this.
  14. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

I have a 10' x 650' strip on my south property line of my 19 acres. I'm planning a burn Friday morning if conditions permit. It's pure CIR.
    This strip is next to an old fence row and my property line. On the other side of the fence row is an area about an acre in size that my driveway dissects. On one side of the drive is an abandon food plot and the other side (next to the fence row) is an area I've been mowing, another portion is an old gravel pit that I have been filling in over the last several years.
    My intension is to finally get the pit to a point where I can get it filled, leveled, and planted to more switch.

5700 profit trail.jpg

marksman72 likes this.
  15. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

As a follow up, I burned last week on Friday morning 4/27.
    It went swimmingly!

27C98C6D-D8CF-48CE-B8C4-9F28910BAEF6.jpeg

Plant175 likes this.