close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone looking for an ice fishing quad?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by plugger, Jul 22, 2017.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I saw this on Craig's list. If I didn't already have a grizzly I would be after this one. Grizzlys make an awesome ice machine. grizzlys have good ground clearance, a diff lock, power to spare, and clearance for chains and larger tires. They also are as dependable as anything going.

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/snw/d/yamaha-grizzly/6224252283.html

2. Scales N Tails

Scales N Tails Banned

May be a good machine but have to disagree big-time on comment, as dependable as anything going. Can't beat a Honda in any area! Been around them all and wouldn't own anything else! Dependability and reliability for long cold runs on bay never been let down on owning a Honda ever!

chuckinduck likes this.

3. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Our area with deep lake effect snow may be different than yours. My son has the big Honda but when the snow gets deep with ice layers his quad stays on the trailer. Without a front diff lock and not being able to chain the front he cant come close to going where I can. I have had Honda quads since 1988, still have the 88 but they are a work horse not a deep dodo machine. If you would put tracks on one they would be good.

4. Scales N Tails

Scales N Tails Banned

Have used mine from Saginaw Bay to Northern Michigan to Northern Ontario to Southern Ontario at Simcoe. Mild to very extreme conditions/situations! Never been let down yet...with chain's on all four! Knock on wood. JMO and personal experiences

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  5. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Up here everyone has problems sometimes. Four years ago they canceled the NAFIC tournament because conditions were so bad, even snowmobiles and tracked quads couldn't go.

6. Scales N Tails

Scales N Tails Banned

That's when nothing gets thru so cant compare anything to the wrath that mother nature gives us!

plugger likes this.
  7. sledman

sledman

I'm looking into a atv for ice fishing was wondering what you thought of the Honda rancher. The clearance seems a little shallow ?? Would get one with EPS and automatic trans DCT.. 420cc new around $6300 Thanks in advance

8. plugger

plugger Premium Member

The one your talking about I believe has the independent rear suspension and is a great quad.. They are very dependable and also have great resale. A small frame quad will struggle in deep stuff. The four guys that I fish with a lot has two Grizzlys, a 1000 cc Polaris and a Honda rancher with the independent rear suspension. The Honda goes pretty well but he doesn't break trail and if we struggle at all he backs out. The Honda is nice because it is a lot lower to get on and off with heavy clothes and if you want to move it or turn it around you can pick one end up and carry it around. Because the lake we fish is 12 miles long and right next to lake Michigan we get some pretty extreme conditions due to lake effect snow and drifting. I am sure that quad, chained up, would serve you well 90% of the time.

9. sledman

sledman

Thanks a lot for the input I really appreciate it, I understand there's going to be limits on what it can do and go through and like you said deep snow may be a problem but I mainly fish Lake St. Clair where most of the time the snow doesn't get to deep. This would be the first atv I have ever purchased just would use it for ice fishing no other need for one. I have been reading a view reviews and there is a debate if Honda's 4 wheel drive is "true four wheel drive" which frankly I don't really understand.. Thanks a lot again

10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Some people refer to Hondas as three wheel drive, they don't hav a front diff lock. Which ever front heel has the least traction spins. On my grizzly I have a button that locks the front differential so the tires turn at the same speed, on a Honda you can simulate a diff lock by slightly applying the front brake so both tires pull. If you forget and leave the diff lock on you get a good understanding of how a differential works when you try to turn with good traction. This sounds simple but when you are in a bad spot remembering in time and getting the right braking force may not come naturally. Unless you are on a lake that gets deep snow with slush and ice layers I would not hesitate to run a Honda.

11. sledman

sledman

Thanks sounds like you know a lot about atvs....

12. Perchlips

Perchlips

I bought a new Honda Rancher a couple years ago for ice fishing and still have not had it on the ice. Really hoping for good ice this year. Just to let you know the newer Ranchers are on a full size frame now. I have enjoyed it on the trails more than I ever thought I would.

13. Perchlips

Perchlips

Sledman if you do go new shop around for out the door price. Alot of dealers will advertise a price then tack on a lot of fees. I saved a fair amount of money by going out of state.

14. sledman

sledman