Anyone have reloading data for a .41 mag?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JSBowman, Jun 27, 2017.

1. JSBowman

JSBowman

Just picked up a Super Blackhawk chambered in .41 mag. I'm looking to reload for it. Just wondering what has worked for you?

2. 357Maximum

357Maximum Banned

I shot a near book max charge of H110/W296 in mine with the 210 grain Hornady XTP and I have never seen any 41MAG that did not like that load. Sorry no exact charge, the world is what it is, but it was right out of 4th Edition Hornady manual.

JSBowman likes this.

3. JSBowman

JSBowman

Thanks. I've got some H110 to test out, and 210 grain Nosler bullets also.

4. sourdough44

sourdough44

Yeah, nothing wrong with some modest loads with H Universal or Unique either.

JSBowman and 357Maximum like this.
  5. kotimaki

kotimaki

Lil gun and xtps have served me well....

JSBowman likes this.
  6. jmoser

jmoser

H110 and XTP is a magic recipe in many magnum handguns for me.

357Maximum and JSBowman like this.
  7. JSBowman

JSBowman

Finally got around to testing a couple of loads, but it looks like I'm getting a bit of flattening on the primers. [​IMG]

8. jmoser

jmoser

Not even close to being flat - Load on !! .41 mag is 35,000 psi - that is bound to stretch the thin primer cup a little bit. Flat is just that - dimple gone and maybe even inverted a bit thru the firing pin hole. Blackhawk is a strong gun; your loads look fine. I have a .357 BH that handles hot 187 gr loads fine; same loads have pierced primers in my Marlin 1894.

Remember that in hot summer weather pressures will be a bit higher; don't forget to rezero etc in cooler temps come autumn.

What primers are you using? I stick with CCI 350s for my large magnum revolvers.

9. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

It depends what you gun prefers. I have used reloads with Unique and IMR4227 and they were great. So it depends. All the best...
    Gil

10. sourdough44

sourdough44

5C0C0BB2-395D-498C-804E-C910034A93A7.jpeg I just jumped on the 41 Mag bandwagon. I started with a local S&W Model 57, 6” barrel, now I have a 1986 vintage Redhawk, 5.5” barrel in the cue from Gunbroker.

So far I just loaded up some 210 gun plated bullets with 8.2 grains of Unique, familiarization loads. I haven’t shot any yet.

Gil Martin likes this.
  11. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

Good catch. Very nice picture, thanks for sharing. All the best...
    Gil

12. sourdough44

sourdough44

Those 8.2 grains of Unique were quite manageable. Enough to let you know you’re shooting a big bore, but easy on the shooter, gun, & brass.

I loaded up some ‘deep curl’ bullets with Ramshot Enforcer powder. I have some 296 & 2400 on hand, Enforcer seems to be the up & comer.

Next up are some shotshells. I wanted to skip the Speer shot capsules anyway, easy since they don’t make any for the 41. Since I don’t want to buy 25 lbs of shot, I may just cut some #9 shells open. I see various .410 ‘shot cards’ or may just make my own. I have some thin padding, even an egg carton is mentioned as material. That is for a ‘card’ over the powder, then maybe over the shot, nail polish over the shot is also mentioned. A bit of glue is mentioned to keep it secure too.

A small charge of H Titegroup is my powder of choice. I have done shotshells in the 38/357, 44, & 45 Colt. Then I need to fine a poisonous snake or other vermin.