Anyone ever buy used cop vehicles at auction?

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by brushbuster, Aug 6, 2020.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Curious if anyone has ever done this? I know they get they crap beat out of them but I think they can be well maintained. anyone ever have good luck doing this?

2. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

They do get the crap beat out of them, they also get crapped in, pee’d and puked in too.

While they are maintained, remember that those vehicles are running many hrs everyday. So if they have 100k on the odometer you can guarantee they have two to three times the idle time on them.

3. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

This is as far as my experience goes...

4. tincanary

tincanary

I've had a couple. The very first one was a nightmare ('87 Caprice) because whomever removed all of the police electronics did such a hack job there were all kinds of gremlins. I've had the best luck with a MSP car, they're very good with maintenance. My last one ('96 Caprice) had a brand new engine, transmission, and rear axle put in at 150k miles from a place in Lansing. MSP cars will usually have door tags showing what was rebuilt/replaced, by whom, and at what mileage. I bought the car with 180 on the clock and sold it with 330k. Never let me down, but damn did it rot good in some areas.

5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Yes. The wear components were in working shape, but the engine was toast. It was a 5.7 hemi charger and the long idle hours were hard on the motor. The wireharness was also a mess

6. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Buying a used cop car is as bad or worse than buying a used government maintenance vehicle. Miles mean nothing, they are started in the morning and not shut off all day. Oil changes are still done by the odometer, and oil change messages on the DIC are ignored. GVW is but a suggestion GAWR is completely disregarded, and all but the absolutely mandatory maintenance is disregarded the final year of its scheduled life cycle.

brushbuster and DEDGOOSE like this.
  7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Uh, yes. We had one when I was young. It was one of the Detroit STRESS cars. It was literally a blast to drive. Timing chain, and carb trouble from what I remember. My brother has a van he bought from the UofM at auction. My neighbor had an old DNR Pick-up. It was a Dodge, and he did alright with it.

I'd say they get the minimal maintenance. Scout cars, get driven hard and their brakes take a terrible beating. Better off communities usually sell theirs after a few years. Because more serious maintenance is do. Other vehicles from fleets are worth looking at to. If your local municipality is holding an auction try to strike up a conversation with the fleet mechanic(s). They may point you towards a good one.

The thing is auctions are a business and there are quite a few professional buyers who scan the vin with an app and that's where they get their price. Others bid too high and then the value is questionable. So, don't expect a cheap vehicle and look at private sellers and know what they are going for.

The University of Michigan auctions off quite a few and I imaging MSU does as well.
    Past auction for an idea. https://braunandhelmer.com/past-auc...id=157520&feed_type=200&esp_cfid=3522#gallery

Good luck whatever you decide!

brushbuster likes this.
  8. Alaby

Alaby

I bought a MSP Harley at a State auction,probably paid too much, but I loved it. Had 30000 on it when I bought it,65000 on it when I sold it 3 years later. Only thing I did to was put new tires on it a couple times and normal maintenance.

9. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

My sister and her husband have bought a couple ,the last one is a challenger or charger ( I get them confused ) but it looks good and runs good. The only thing they have done besides General maintenance is replaced the muffler. His father also buys them once in awhile.

brushbuster and Nostromo like this.
  10. sparky18181

sparky18181 Premium Member

It really depends on the municipality that you are buying from. My dept did a great job maintaining them but knowing how they are driven, I d think twice about ever buying one

Nostromo and brushbuster like this.
  11. jimbo

jimbo

I remember my uncle said everyday they had to do an inspection report on his patrol car and mark everything down. Even if it was the same thing, until they had time to fix it.
    I’ve never had one, but I don’t think it would scare me up.
    Just check it out first, one side and out

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

tincanary likes this.
  12. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

My uncle bought an impala from an auction, never had any problems with the car and he had it for years. Bought with a little less than 100k on it for dirt cheap.

brushbuster likes this.
  13. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

This, they keep them running so all the electronics can stay on.

14. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I'm gonna put a bid in on an Explorer. We are just looking for cheap all wd vehichle to save a little on my plow truck to get us through a couple winters until we can buy a newer truck for cash.

junkman and Nostromo like this.
  15. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

You need to be mechanically inclined to the point where you know swapping a motor or trans is no big deal and have the gargae capable of doing it before anyone goes buying a beat up vehicle at an auction if not your at the mercy of a mechanic.