Anybody planting during this 90 degree marathon ?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Marty H, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Marty H

Marty H

I'm still hoping for a little rain during this hot time but meanwhile I go out about twice a week and disc the weeds over and and over again waiting semi patiently to plant ! Sure don't need no Roundup with the sun cooking everything I turn over ! Looks like maybe this Thursday may give me a chance to plant with the weatherman's promise of some moisture ! I' sure glad they're never wrong !

2. stickman1978

stickman1978

Waiting until mid August here.

Dish7 likes this.

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Just sprayed my pig weed patch yesterday .That crap is hard to get rid of once established .Got some rye from the mill that was lousy with it a few years ago .Will spray again in a couple weeks then plant my plot 1st part of August .

Marty H, Nakoma and kisherfisher like this.
  4. brewster

brewster Premium Member

I think what I have planted is a bust and I'll do some prep for rye and brassicas. Have quite a few things to prep for in random spots.

Normally I'd be knocking down buckwheat for a second free crop, not this year. I'll also be putting rye with turnips and radishes where I planned on sorhgum.

My low areas are usually quite damp or wet now and it's dried out now also.

Like stickman1978 it's likely august for me too.

5. brewster

brewster Premium Member

More concerning to me is that I'm supposed to be doing mid contract crp discing and that ain't happening, right now.

Way too wet the last two springs, impossibly dry right now.

jafurnier likes this.
  6. OSXer

OSXer

I’m normally onboard with disking over chemicals, but also consider that the heat is drying and killing your soil at the same time. Depending on soil type, might be worse than letting weeds go longer to get past the drought, so long as you get them before reseeding.

7. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I may be planting brassicas tomorrow. Just waiting to see if we are still going to get the forecasted rain Wed night and Thursday. We are only 60 days or so from our average first frost date in September so this is my normal planting time for brassicas....but I am also no-tilling into a standing cover crop and we've also had a little rain over the past week - 0.43", 0.38" and 0.28" yesterday so I've got some soil moisture. I haven't turned my dirt in 5 years now so my OM is starting to build back up.

8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

It’s been abnormally hot in the EUP since late May. Mid 80s has been the norm not the exception. When we get rains it’s been 2”+ which my clay soil can’t handle. It’s been years since it’s been dry enough to plant anything prior to late July or early August. Lake Huron/Michigan are 5’ high because of it.

With that said things are finally drying out. I planted 500# of beans the day before Fathers Day and 400# yesterday. I’m planning on planting another 100# today. A high percentage of rain is in the near term forecast. A normal rainfall of an inch would be nice. We don’t need another big rain event.
    Good luck.

9. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

It's unlikely the seed will germinate in this heat without moisture.
    If it were time, I would be planting but I have a month-month and a half before I need to.

10. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

What do you mean by killing the soil ?

L & O

11. jfishbones

jfishbones

None here yet, just been watering my new fruit trees... its been dry and hot for sure.

jparks02 likes this.
  12. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

Top soil being blown away in the wind? My neighbor been discing all summer and all I see is the little topsoil he had is being blown away. He does have a nice looking sandbox, by fall it will be beach worthy.

Dish7, Osceola and Wild Thing like this.
  13. OSXer

OSXer

Brief response since I’m typing from a mobile device.

There is dirt and there is soil. Dirt isn’t alive, but soil is. This idea is one of the huge concepts that drives No-till practices as being better than conventional ag practices.

Frequently disturbing the soil breaks up the soil structure. The heat is also baking /killing microorganisms that live in the dirt, in effect, worsening the soil. That’s what I’d meant.

Whitetail Freak and Dish7 like this.