Anybody plant Thuja Green Giant Conifer Trees?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by hunter7504, Apr 12, 2009.

1. hunter7504

hunter7504

I was wondering if anyone has planted Thuja Green Giant Confier trees? I was looking for a some quick year around cover for the deer on my property along the a road way. On E-Bay, they are around $58 for 25 trees. They say these can grow 3 feet or more a year.

Tress info:

Will grow in a wide range of soils in zones 5 to 8 and prefers a deep well drained fertile soil although it adapts well to frequently saturated clay soils. This is a tough tree and will not easily suffer damage from high wind or heavy ice and snow loads. Also, drought tolerant after it is well established, exhibits no significant pest or disease problems, is deer and bagworm resistant and is hardy to -25F.

Thanks,

2. roostersbane

roostersbane

I put about 80 in a few years ago (8"-12") and they all got nipped off late winter. Looks like some were eaten and others were just nipped and spit-out.

3. StoneyCreekOutdoorProp

StoneyCreekOutdoorProp

I tried some a few years ago and lost every one to either browse or who knows what. The salesman will tell you that not one animal will eat them and they have never had a complaint about browsing from their customers, now I know they were full of it and I won't try them again. Going to try a hybrid poplar for a fence row screen this year.

4. CBMLIFEMEMBER

CBMLIFEMEMBER

If they grow fast deer eat them. Chad I would fence the poplar too. I have some that are 18 years old and are STILL only 3 foot tall.:sad:

5. smsmith

smsmith

They are not deer resistant, they are however MORE deer resistant than white cedars (arbor vitaes). I planted some 3 years ago, they are about 15" tall now. They are in less than ideal growing conditions, so I didn't expect the super fast growth rate. Planted in the right spot with the right soil and the right amount of water (and deer protection) they could do well. I think you'd have better luck with white and/or norway spruce.

6. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

We purchased Thuja Occidentalis (there are different ones) last year - 50 of them. The planting instructions said to pot them and keep them semi-shaded for a year, so that's what we did. We lost 9 of them over winter, as we really didn't protect them, just stuck the pots under the trees in our tree row at home. But the guarantee on the trees said they'll replace dead ones .. we just haven't sent them back yet. These particular ones, as I remember, are supposed to grow larger, in both height and width, that some others. When we plant at the property, we'll 'fence' them in for at least two years so they can get established, also using the 'soap' repellent trick on the fencing -- we used chicken wire -- (worked on our olives and willows for the past two years.)
    ~m~