Anybody in the auto insurance/attorney biz?

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by So-hooked, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ma1979

ma1979

Off-Road Vehicles Cannot Be Registered For On-Road Use

Vehicles manufactured as an off-road vehicle (ORV) cannot be modified and titled as an assembled vehicle for on-road use. A vehicle manufactured as an ORV, even if the owner added accessories such as lights, windshield, and street legal tires, does not qualify as an assembled vehicle, including a low-speed assembled vehicle, because:

It was not built from new or used parts by someone other than a manufacturer, and
    It was not altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration.
    ORV manufacturers state their vehicles are not designed for on-road use and include a statement on their Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) that the vehicle was built for off-road use only. ORVs that cannot be titled and registered for on-road use as an assembled vehicle include:

a) 4-wheel and 6-wheel ORV utility vehicles. These units look like small trucks with a roof. Examples include the Polaris Ranger, John Deere Gator, Kawasaki Mule, Yamaha Viking, Honda Pioneer, and Kubota RTV.

b) 4-wheel all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). Often called "quads," these are units with handlebars and a seat straddled by the operator.

c) Three and four-wheel ATVs often called "quads."

d) Dune buggies manufactured for off-road use only.

e) Gray Market off-road "mini trucks." These are imported as ORVs rather than motor vehicles. It is not possible to upgrade them to meet U.S. EPA emission standards and DOT safety standards. They can only be titled as an ORV. Examples include the Suzuki Carry, Subaru Sambar, Honda ACTY, Mazda Scrum, and Daihatsu Hijet.

Vehicles whose MCO show the vehicle was built to federal low speed vehicle standards may be titled as a low speed vehicle using the year, make, and VIN shown on the MCO.

Trail bikes (2-wheel motorcycles) may be upgraded for on-road use.

2. ma1979

ma1979

Thats on the Tuscola county sheriff office Facebook page

3. junkman

junkman

There was a time when you could title the SXS's to be street legal.The ones that were made street legal before the law was changed are grandfathered in.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  4. junkman

junkman

When I'm out and about on it I get two comments about it.One is that's a cool as heck bike or the other end of the spectrum what a P.O.S. Most guys that are into cars,trucks,bikes,quads,or anything else with an engine are the ones that love it.The one that hate it are what I would consider yuppies and other assorted undesirables.:lol:

5. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

It was mentioned above but State Farm is a disaster right now. It's a sinking ship. They have openly admitted they don't care about Customer Service.

I think your problem is State Farm not your SxS.

6. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

Not sure how all states handle making ORV's street legal? I know Montana did allow plated ORV's to travel on most back roads.
    This is good info, I have always heard you can plate the SxS. Now I know it would be a waste of time and money to add all the requirements. I have 900 Ranger I was thinking about doing.
    I have been told some people put a farm triangle on the back and it gets around the requirements? This of course is if you are slow moving and not getting crazy?

7. Waif

Waif

If you are activley farming at the time ,you might get away with only having a slow moving vehice sign.....otherwise ,how do you explain what you are doing?

8. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

I expected that would be tough to explain.

Waif likes this.
  9. So-hooked

So-hooked

Yep. I have a physical metal plat on mine.

I talked to a state boy at a party once about my CPL and the SxS. He said he hates seeing those orange triangles on SxS and would pull them over.

10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

That was before idiots with no clue became pussified.

Thanks Obama!!

11. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Correct. Same with the "mini trucks" you have to stay off main roads and can only do 25mph and yield to traffic. Much the same as having an ORV sticker. ORV rules vary by county though.

12. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Just tell them you're checking fields.

In my experience and area, if you're going slow with a slow moving vehicle sign or an ORV and not causing an unsafe situation, no one bothers you. I can't speak for everywhere though.

13. augustus0603

augustus0603

FYI- Citizens Insurance just came out with a new auto insurance policy that will write a SxS licensed for road use. Give your local Citizens agent a call if you're not with them. It is a package policy that would require writing all autos and home.

14. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Progressive would issue you one as long as you didn't use it on the road .:confused:

15. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Use of a SMV (slow moving vehicle) and an agricultural exemption requires speeds under 25 and you must be able to demonstrate the vehicle is being used between farms for agricultural purposes. In townships that allow the use of orv-atvs on road have a maximum speed of 25 mph. By state law you must have an orv sticker.