Anybody in the auto insurance/attorney biz?

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by So-hooked, Jun 1, 2017.

1. So-hooked

So-hooked

The SxS pictured in my avatar is street legal. However, insurance has been nothing but a nightmare from day one. It’s a long story so I’ll try and keep it short.

I just found out I was not properly insured from the beginning. Here are some of the comments I got back from my insurance.

I talked to another underwriter and unfortunately they will not allow us to go back to the 2014 policy. First of all, the policy had coverage of a recreational vehicle which has limited medical coverage and wouldn’t cover you enough if you or someone was hurt on the public road (I clearly explained it would be on the road and have emails to back it up). Since you have a Michigan VIN, the vehicle must be written as a private passenger vehicle and have a six month policy. The underwriter said now that we’re aware of the new vin number and permanent plates, it would be illegal for us to insure the vehicle as a recreational vehicle. That would be opening not only you but SF to a possible lawsuit if someone was injured on your vehicle.

The underwriter looked at the 2014 policy and you were not covered properly and Terri shouldn’t have written the policy that way. The current policy for $745.24 for six months covers you properly and gives you lifelong medical coverage in the event of an injury. Plus you have the liability coverage as all private passenger vehicle policies do.

Its titled as a ‘assembled pickup’ and the state of Michigan came out and put a new VIN# on it starting with ‘MI’

1) Should I be entitled to get my money back if I was not insured properly?
    2) Does anybody know who insures these? I have 4 vehicles insured though state farm. My Can-Am is the most expensive and there’s only 2 adult drivers.

Thanks for any help!

2. Waif

Waif

3. augustus0603

augustus0603

Progressive will insure it separately on an ATV policy. The medical coverage would be lacking as your agent pointed out. Health insurance would cover an injury or if involved with another vehicle. The driver of the vehicle's insurance would actually cover Personal Injury Protection same as a motorcycle.

No. You can't recover the premium, they could possibly even back charge you if they had to pay a claim from that period.

As an independent, no one wants to insure street legal SxS. Way too big of an exposure for the premium. If it's used primarily on the road, I would stick with the auto policy to be properly covered.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  4. LushLife

LushLife

I suggest you call an independent agent - a big one that represents 5-6 of the top carriers in the State

Give them the opportunity to quote your entire auto, and even home, policies

Don't get me wrong, St Farm got to be the biggest auto insurer by doing some things very well, but the co. just doesn't have the appetite to handle some things that are atypical or represent a large exposure

The $745 for 6 mos. doesn't seem unreasonable if indeed you're properly protected - remember you can "lay-up" coverage (comp only) during the off-season

5. augustus0603

augustus0603

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I am a licensed, P&C agent.

6. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

It's legal to ride ORV's on the road in Michigan anyway. So what's the issue?

7. augustus0603

augustus0603

Is that true in every county?

I know there have been some new laws adopted the last year but am unfamiliar with them. I was also under the impression you have to stay below 25MPH if you're riding on the side of a road.

Street legal SxS is pretty much an automobile. Again, if I'm not mistaken, it's only available for Grandfathered plates and new owners cannot make them street legal and obtain a plate.

I have a SxS and keep it in Missaukee County. I have a place close to the Stratford Trail system so I really don't have to ride far to access ORV trails. I know that I have to stay under 25MPH on the main road because I don't have plates and the machine isn't street legal.

8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Not true everywhere. They made it the counties decision a few years ago and some counties allow it.... some dont. Some counties open up specific roads and some leave it up to the townships. Up in chippewa county in paradise they refused to allow it for years. They were talking about allowing some roads last year.....never heard if that changed. That is an area you would think you could ride anywhere. My buddy has a place 1.5 miles from the trailhead and he has to trailer to it.

I live in lapeer county and they legalized it on specific roads. At my house you can pretty much ride on most dirt roads but the majority of the paved roads near my house are off limits when I looked at the map. I live a 1/4 mile from the dirt road and I can't legally ride down to that section from my driveway.

9. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

It is by county. I know around us the police leave you alone regardless. For years, as long as you weren't being a total D bag and had a helmet or seat belt on they just waved.

I do know that Michigan sucks and made it grandfathered plates only. Which is complete BS.

I guess I didn't read all the details in the OP

10. junkman

junkman

Back when I was with State Farm I asked about insurance on an assembled auto.My agent said they will not insure them.I don't know if it has changed since then But that is what I was told.

11. So-hooked

So-hooked

A co-worker had an issue with our health insurance not covering them in a accident. However, this was in a car and they are covering it as a passenger vehicle. Were mostly on dirt roads and I would suspect out SxS is safer then a motorcycle yet those rates are MUCH cheaper.

Personally I think it's way too much, especially cause its safer than a motorcycle. I also told them we drive it less than 1000mi a year. Its More than my 2016 3/4 ton Diesel RAM. If they're basing it on safety, I would think my RAM would be the lease expensive but it's the most ($90 a month) besides our SxS ($124 a month).

We don't have an off season with this puppy ;) we drive this thing all year long.

We are with state farm and they do insure them. I just think the rate is ridiculous because again... its safer than a motorcycle.

12. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Safer yes.....but far more costly to repair and people tend to really do stupid things with them. You are being charged to pay for alot of recklessness by others who own the same type of machine.

13. hawgeye

hawgeye

That depends who's driving them! The are more expensive to insure on the road because the are not designed to be driven on the road. They are an ORV. They changed the law so you cant license them as a road vehicle now.

14. hawgeye

hawgeye

They insure my Harley with a rebuilt title, they just wanted pictures to make sure it wasn't damaged prior to being insured.

15. junkman

junkman

I had a 4X4 with a car body on it.It was titled by the state of Michigan and had met all the requirements on the TR-54 form.But then again this was almost 25 years ago. Maybe my agent just did not want to deal with it or at the time they did not cover assembled vehicles.What ever the case was it was a long time ago.I now have an insurance company that will cover just about anything.