Anybody have any idea what Pennsylvania is doing for CWD?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Aug 14, 2020.

1. swampbuck

swampbuck

They seem to be laying low, after their little experiment failed. As science indicated it would. Kinda like shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Dish7

Dish7

3. motdean

motdean

Oh trust me, I don't continue to unearth new information for those that are going to ignore it and double down on the "better way to manage disease" folks.

I bring up the new information, such as the modeling that was completed October 2019 in conjunction with our own DNR, but not brought to the NRC until July 2020 or the fact that the PA Plan includes the removal of APR's in a CWD zone for the edification of those so

4. Justsayin

Justsayin

If you have come to believe the experiment was a bad idea, let's talk about it. Why was it a bad idea? Should we continue it? How should we be moving forward? What would you want to change?

Why do we shine a light into darkened corners, it is to see what we could not. We shouldn't fear the truth no more than we should accept burying it.

As for me if I believed "All is lost", you would never see another post from me here. Whether I would be just another number in lost hunter column is TBD. Despite the naysayers, I still see the possibility to change direction and resulting outcome.

Why hang out in a forum if not to share with others, to learn or challenge what you thought you knew? If truth shared gives new perspective, cause to step back and ask questions, think beyond oneself, to at least consider what we could be doing... just perhaps... "All does not need to be lost".

mbrewer, Woodstock and motdean like this.
  5. sniper

sniper

Are you not lazy enough to go back and look the hundred of threads here that already has been posted on the subject? Didn’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

6. sniper

sniper

Lmao! I was for sure that their both chest bump guys!

Dish7 likes this.
  7. Waif

Waif

Lost touch with some Pa. guys on a nonhunting forum that posted a little each year on their hunting.
    None were overboard big antler types that I recall. Certainly not going to argue about them while still appreciating better examples.

Their region was/is only a snapshot of the state.
    The first comments not in favor of progressing regulations was reduction of deer numbers.
    Pictures did not show lush habitat and posts did not cover capacities ect..

Like other areas of the country , seeing less deer after reductions seemed more a concern than what was being seen. I'm sure if asked ,type of deer remaining to be seen by them would have desired observations.

Pa. has (well did at one time anyways) enough hunters to steer the herd any direction it/they want no doubt. Just needs to know hunter desires , continue to communicate with them effectively , and work on a both short and long term plan that compliment each other.
    Hunters and the agency changing regulations will work together, or hunters will get dictated to . How effective regulations are towards the goals for the herds sake determines which method of cooperation,or dictation gets used going forward.
    Nothing unique there.

Had Michigan hunters reduced herds where the state sought reduction of late , would that affect the relationship between hunters and the state going forward? I say it should. With better cooperation on the states side.
    What did hunters gain when a herd was greatly reduced in the past?
    That experience makes me ask what today's regulators response will be.
    We simply had an area nearly devoid of deer I/we didn't hunt after.
    Certainly deer numbers increased eventually after we no longer hunted there. Hey , they could not have decreased much more. Yet no gain in the deers future or hunter desires beyond deer well below former ag. complaint level. Who hunts that wouldn't have wanted a balanced herd with decent buck numbers in it to follow a nearly clean slate?
    Leaving me with the suspicion , hunters need to be on the same page for what they are steering the herd towards , more than the regulators..
    Then work within the parameters of where they hunt and it's herd to manage accordingly.

A.P.R.'s are ,for all the debate , a small part of a healthy herd that suits hunter interests.
    Those who hunt under an A.P.R. should be sharing the results. And the results of/on the herd well beyond antlers.
    I still await improvement due to A.P.R.. This season antlers should reflect a gain in size/age. But there is much more to a herd....Only hunter focus on the herd beyond antlers is going to improve and balance the herd.
    No objection to wanting older deer as a goal. (well ,I'm not crazy having them in my hot zone but whatever . Just another among constantly changing annual regulations preventing long term,like four years planning ).
    Yet hunters having what they want in regulation should go farther and consider the herd as a whole. Vs skimming the cream and calling it good.

Tilden Hunter likes this.
  8. sniper

sniper

Deaner I believe a lot of people are beyond caring as much. As seen here with little or the same 3-4 guys traffic of the thread. It’s nauseating. Until you, swampy and apparently Brew cares now and a slim few others gets their questions answered, were at a standstill.
    Let’s just hunt...

9. mbrewer

mbrewer

You and snipper have the same color chapped lips, Coincidence?

10. Woodstock

Woodstock

Discourse leads to enlightenment and hopefully solutions.

Apathy and ignorance lead no where.

mbrewer likes this.
  11. Dish7

Dish7

Good post but I have a question about the last line. Who do you consider to be "skimming the cream and calling it good"? Is it the hunter who is satisfied with one deer? Two? The hunter who never shoots a doe or shoots many? Every age class and sex of the herd is considered a worthy target when it comes to disease control though many can only focus on one. So which hunter that buys their tag and goes out and enjoys their hobby is not considering the herd as a whole? Not one resident of the State of MI is obligated to hunt. Hunting is not a job. It is recreation pure and simple. Some are more passionate about it than others. Which ones are skimming cream?

Just a question. Not meant to be contentious.

Waif likes this.
  12. mbrewer

mbrewer

Your brain needs exercise.

13. mbrewer

mbrewer

Individually, a whole bunch of us are skimming the cream, me included. But, it isn't our individual efforts that matter, it's our collective efforts. And right now our collective efforts are being restricted based on more on social considerations than science.

That's wrong and i don't like it.

14. Dish7

Dish7

You should take more time before responding. We expect far better jabs then this from you, lol.

sniper likes this.
  15. motdean

motdean

Oh, trust me, I will be hunting. If they decide not to open the lab up this fall, it won't be in my normal hunting spot where CWD is present, but I have others.

Were you aware that (I believe it was) 5 out of the 6 speakers at this month's NRC meeting appeared to be from non-hunting contingents? Do you care? Should you?

The fellas started a slippery slope by doing what they did to our regulations for their "experiment".
    I fully intend to keep this issue front and center until we have fix in place. If the administrator of this site wants to either tell me to stop or ban me, that is up to him.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    sniper, mbrewer and Woodstock like this.