close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody else target Long Tails?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by deadduck365, Nov 26, 2017.

1. just ducky

just ducky

Don't know where you're hunting, but I can personally attest to the bay. It's not just the water levels, but what that does to the habitat. The water levels on the bay right now are comparable to '96-'97, after which they took a nose dive of several feet until just a couple years ago...so 20 years approximately? What that did is change the habitat, which (according to the theory) changed the patterns of waterfowl. The phragmites on the bay is out of control, and that started in the low water years. Phrag provides very little, if anything, in the way of habitat for ANY critters, let alone waterfowl. I hunted areas this fall that I hadn't been able to access with a boat for 20 years due to low water, and what used to be cattails and other lower cover is now solid phrag, and the stuff is darn near impenetrable so most of that area is now nearly unhuntable. Birds don't like it any more than we like it. So what the theory suggests is the low water created a lot of other problems, not just a lack of water.

2. just ducky

just ducky

Your opinion, but I know the people I hunt with do. Got multiple hunters, and with two layouts, that leaves 2 or 3 hunters in the tender boat with time on their hands. In that short 1-2 hour time frame to get a multiple hunter limit of squaw, you can catch some damn nice perch ;)

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I hunt around LEMP, downriver etc. Water levels went up in the '70's and have yet to ever get down to where they were before they went up.

I will never forget the first time I really noticed that the water was starting to come up. I tried to boat under a bridge, on Grosse Isle, to visit a friend who lived above it. I had be doing that for years. That time, while in the same boat, I got stuck with my windshield hung up on the underside of the bridge.

It's never been low enough for that boat to get under it again.

I remember when Celeron was one island and much longer than it is now. I also remember when the celery was so thick on the west side of it that you could be running on plane and it would shut you down.

4. deadduck365

deadduck365

Yes they are walleye fishing.

5. deadduck365

deadduck365

I have been shot out there. Had to hit the deck. Bb’s hit the side of the boat.

6. carsonr2

carsonr2

This ^ to a T. Typically if you have people who can shoot in the layout we never have the time to get back to the buoy and anchor back up. It's either retrieve dead birds, rundown a cripple, swap a layout hunter or bring more shells to the layout. Can't even imagine trying to have a rod in the boat with all of the running around that is constantly consistent. Would actually be more of a hazard and dangerous than it would be worth on the big water.

The key TSS is your point of "Anyone half in the know"....

Timber likes this.
  7. idylmoments

idylmoments

ever hear of a Sea duck hunter getting shot by the party next to him?

If you saw what some of us saw on Sat and Sunday last weekend, its only a matter of time. Or someone will get shot on shore. I was fishing and away from the pile of boats running and gunning. It was the wild west.
    Used to be a busy weekend had 4 boats and you could spread out. There were 15 at least and some side by side like they are fishing. When 2 local papers call your friends to find out what is going on, it's turned into a gong show

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    deadduck365 and TSS Caddis like this.
  8. Big Skip

Big Skip

Not to mention keeping an eye on the shooter for safety, and keeping watch for other boats that could potentially not see the layout

Timber and carsonr2 like this.
  9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I don't believe we have ever had anyone close enough for use to be hit by them or us hit them. The Great Lakes are BIG!. It would take a really "special" person to hit someone out on the "broad waters".

Timber likes this.
  10. RightHand

RightHand

A buddy and I came real close to getting hit while perch fishing outta bolles early oct. watched the guy come straight at us from 200 yards out. 2 guys in the boat, didn't see us till the were 10-15 yards away and we were jumping up and down yelling. "Special person" is an understatement.

11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

OH, there are some winners out there, that's for sure.

12. road trips

road trips

I haven’t been out there the last 2 seasons. Can’t imagine what it’s like out there now.
    I’m sure I’ll get the layout wet again, but I needed a break from it.

Timber and TSS Caddis like this.
  13. pikenetter

pikenetter

other than squaws, duck hunting in west michigan sucks, DNR does absolutely no habitat projects on the west side. the once great muskegon marsh is nothing but an overgrown cattail marsh that is pretty void of ducks after week one. grand river marshes have been over taken by houses with little to no spots left. thank god for the five to ten squaw hunts we can get, weather depending. yes it is crowded compared to ten years ago when i was the only boat . but it has no effect on my hunting. until the DNR decides west michigan duck hunters deserve an 1/8th of the resources used on the east side it will be squaws or bust

Sparky23 likes this.
  14. TNL

TNL

Might be a bit nautical out there today with 14 footers. Not sure if she's going to lay down again before the close.

15. just ducky

just ducky

Captain has his eyes glued to the layouts. The extra gunners, who are now in the tender, have time. I'm not saying hours on end, but you do have a few minutes here and there to while away the idle time because not everyone is as good of a shot as you guys...people do miss.