close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody else target Long Tails?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by deadduck365, Nov 26, 2017.

1. deadduck365

deadduck365

I know they are showing up all over the state and all the Great Lakes. How many of you guys in here target them? Just curious. Nobody needs to give away their spots or even body of water.

2. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

i would love to get one, and a scoter. had planned to get a guide this year, but ducks at harsens has been so good i have been hunting almost every day and have probably missed the longtails in saginaw bay.

3. Divers Down

Divers Down

4. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

i assume from layout boats, not shore blinds?

5. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I target divers, from layout boats. That can include old squaw but I would rather see bluebills, cans or redheads.

Divers Down, slwayne and Timber like this.
  6. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

for sure. i just want to get a longtail pair to scratch off of my wish list - haha

7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Hunt the big lakes for a while and that will happen. The Tawas area can be good for them.

8. Divers Down

Divers Down

We only shoot a couple a season from the layout on Erie and they’re poor color.

Timber likes this.
  9. Divers Down

Divers Down

Hunt Lake Michigan, they’re all 10 quality over there for some reason.

Timber and ShootSkybusters like this.
  10. population control

population control

No need for a guide if you have a fishing boat and some diver decoys. I shot many out of my big white and red walleye fishing boat. Calm days were always the best. They could see the decoys better. Go deep. Over 60 foot for the better quality birds. We usually set up in 80 or 90 foot.

Timber and Divers Down like this.
  11. deadduck365

deadduck365

There is an infamous red Lund duck killing boat out there. I watched a red Lund limit on lsc many years ago when we were layout hunting. I couldn’t believe the birds decoyed to that red boat and not our layout.

Divers Down likes this.
  12. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

Easy explanation, that I discovered during early goose. If they get shot at over and over from either gray or camo boats, the boat that is a different color will be percieved as safe. After the first week of early goose over water we just perch fish with our guns and kill more than out of a boat blind and decoys.

13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I've shot late season local mallards from a 22' fiberglass salmon boat anchored next to a pier. These birds see boats parked there all summer and just piled into the spread, which was funny as they avoided all kinds of boat blinds and layouts on the way to us.

Likewise, they seemed to notice the boat trolling 6 lines on the last day of season was not a threat, as many times we had birds between our planer boards and our boat. Buddy said he wished he had a gun. I just happened to have the 12 gauge with and would shut off the boat as we got close, and then he'd load up and jump shoot them. Ended up with 3 lakers (season closed back then, had to throw them back), a steelhead, and two mallards that day.

Funny part was my buddy doing the shooting sells insurance and was talking duck hunting with a client the following spring, who told a story about layout hunting on a perfect day and the only SOB getting any ducks was some guy out trolling who would stop and just blast them from his fishing boat. Buddy just smiled and nodded.

12-3-10 026.jpg 12-3-10 024.jpg

Timber, LumberJ, Spartan88 and 3 others like this.
  14. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

There's 1000's of long tails where we fish in the spring. They are way more boat shy than they were 10 years+ ago when they first showed up. We'd troll within 15 yards of them back then and they'd hardly move. These days you don't get within 100 yards and they're gone.

15. Fill Sinobad23

Fill Sinobad23

Just started this year, by far easiest form of duck hunting possible. Just drifting with a few decoys behind the Lund and they come from all directions. Biggest pain in the ass is pulling the decoys every two seconds to retrieve birds but its not a bad problem to have haha

Divers Down likes this.