close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. missed-again

missed-again

Keep hearing rumors about serious conversations to reduce the number of days allowed for firearm deer hunting. To reduce season length of both rifle/shotgun and muzzleloading seasons. Just wondering why this keeps going around and around.

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. Trout King

Trout King

It goes around and around because some hunters feel there is too many day of gun and too many deer get killed. Some hunters feel if we cut the number of gun hunting days that Michigan will magically turn into Iowa or any other "big buck" state since more deer are likely to survive.

Reality is that with CWD knocking at the door that our gun season (including ML season) will not be shortened, in fact I would guess there might be more days added to feed the DNR's "scorched earth" policy for CWD management. Of course this is all my opinion.

3. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

With it being evident that CWD is well established, one safe bet we can make about upcoming regulation changes is that seasons will not be shortened.

Even then, no “regular” regulation changes are coming until 2020, other than emergency changes. As far as season length goes, the only emergency changes they would make will involve expanding season lengths to combat CWD, not reducing them.

itchn2fish and Trout King like this.
  4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

This BS will continue because the archery hunters think their season is way too short, and they want their sport extended into the entire period of the annual rut. If any specific season should be pruned, it would be the archery season. The length of that season was set decades ago when archery was considered a "primitive weapon". Now that we've progressed (?) to the point of not compound bows but also crossbows are the majority of weapons used, a competent hunter shouldn't need that many days to harvest a deer.

I have to assume that there is also an ever growing number of convicted felons who are barred from possessing a firearm for any reason that feel shorted. Throw in the stealthy approach to poaching that hi-tech archery offers that the non-convicted types enjoy, and it is obvious why so many people want to extend bow hunting at the expense of everyone else.

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

Umm....this is funny!
    Archery season doesn’t end once it opens.
    How many day would you allow archery hunters to harvest a deer, if they meet your competency standards.
    A growing number of felons with hurt feelings? Really?
    The weapon of choice for poachers is still a rifle.

6. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

You could always try to answer the question posed by the OP.

Why do you think that the whining bow hunters want to shorten rifle season? Is it because most bow hunters haven't wounded enough deer by November 15th?

itchn2fish and swampbuck like this.
  7. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

With the latest number of CWD positives, I don't see a reduction in hunting days though the DNR may switch days/seasons around.

itchn2fish likes this.
  8. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

otcarcher, HUBBHUNTER and QDMAMAN like this.
  9. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

The op question was based off a rumor, I don’t speculate off of rumors. I’ve heard that rumor for 20+ years. I hunt archery, rifle and muzzy season and I’m out there every available minute all seasons.

You obviously don’t like archers, that’s fine. But I wonder what your true reason/motives are. Maybe your just a whining gun hunter that is upset that the bow hunters got YOUR buck.

FYI, last year during rifle season I found a fawn gut shot and never recovered and this year I found a buck my neighbor shot and thought he missed.
    Hmm, something about glass houses and stones comes to mind.

Have a nice day

HUBBHUNTER, Bomba and QDMAMAN like this.