Any tips on securing a kennel in back seat of truck cab?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Lamarsh, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I've always had a quad cab, not a crew cab, so my back seat was smaller and my intermediate sized Ruff Tuff kennel would only fit in the back seat with the seats down, and not pushed back. My new truck is a crew cab, so I can fit the kennel in my back seat with the seats pushed back, which is nice because I have more room to store stuff above the kennel, and it sits on an even surface. Problem I've been having though is finding a real good way to secure it down. Right now I have it secured down using two straps affixed to the reinforcements that the seat belts are on. I can crank the straps down, but when the kennel sort of moves forward and back it loosens up. Works ok, but is not perfect.

Was just wondering if anybody has any good pointers on how to get a kennel secured down nicely in the back seat of a truck with the seats down. Thanks

2. gundogguy

gundogguy

Pics would be helpful!

Lamarsh likes this.

3. slammer

slammer

I just put mine in the back seat behind the passenger and then move the passenger seat back until it is touching the kennel then it can’t trip if I have to brake hard for whatever reason

PA BUCK 2 and Lamarsh like this.
  4. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I can snap some ASAP, but generally speaking it is just a Ruff Tuff Intermediate kennel in the back seat of a Ram with the back seats folded back, so sitting on that platform thing that most trucks have. I'll snap some pics ASAP though, hopefully today. Thank you!

The way I have it rigged right now keeps the kennel down (in the case of a wreck), but it moves forward and back, which is annoying, so I'm hoping to find a way to strap it down real good so it doesn't move around.

Also, I noticed now that my kennel isn't sitting on squishy seats, but on hard plastic, now all the rattles and creeks can be heard when I hit bumps. Hoping to solve that too, they drive me nuts lol.

5. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

That's what I did with my quad cab, but my kennel is too small now for the larger back seat, so I'd have to really put that passenger seat far back and lose a bunch of storage space. Wouldn't be ideal in my situation. Good idea tho, literally worked for me for the past 4 years with my old quad cab.

6. jasperdog

jasperdog Premium Member

On my F150 it sits flat on the floor and we cram stuff around it to keep it from rocking/moving around.
    On my old GMC it was not flat and we shimmed it with blankets the best we could and then went with the cramming...

I never thought about it flying up, but I will take a look at that.

We used Suburbans for years and I think the dog is safer in the cab than back against the window in the event of a rear end collision.

Lamarsh likes this.
  7. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

IMG_3052.jpg

Here it is. In this pic there is only one strap, but I have used two as well. Towards the back, the strap is on one of the seatbelt things, and on the other end towards the back of the passenger seat it is attached to the frame thing that connects the passenger seat to the floor of the truck.

Really just wondering if there are better ways to secure kennels down, especially a way to do it without the strap being in the way of things like it is between the kennel and my passenger seat. In my old truck that was a quad cab and I just kept the kennel on the actual seats, I just used the seat belts, just wrapped them around the kennel, they'd lock in place and it was super easy, worked for years. I could still do that with this truck but I'm hoping to find a way to secure it better with the seat folded back so I can have more room above the kennel.

8. gundogguy

gundogguy

Looks just like the way our crates fit in both of our F150's. I see no reason for the strap or tie down.

Lamarsh likes this.
  9. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

The straps do get in the way, but I had them on like that in the event the truck rolls over to keep the dogs a bit safe and prevent the kennel from flying around. Sort of splitting hairs and thinking of worst case scenario, but I figured it was wise to do.

Since mine sits on a hard surface now, it's been rattling around and driving me nuts. Might find a piece of rubber or foam and try to put it between the kennel and the floor thing.

10. waterfowlhunter83

waterfowlhunter83

[​IMG]

I ended up building a platform for mine to sit on. I just move the seat back to wedge it in place. It hasn’t moved around on me yet. I could attach tie downs on the platform if I want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Lamarsh, BigW and gundogguy like this.
  11. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

12. PA BUCK 2

PA BUCK 2

My Ram has a load floor that you can deploy from under the rear seats (2014) similar to what waterfowler83 built. I do not ratchet strap it down. But if I was going to- I would use the seat supports fore and aft to do so.

Lamarsh likes this.
  13. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

My Ram has the load floor as well, and to date I have been securing it down how you suggested. Hoping to find a better way to rig it up so I don't have the darn straps all over the place, they get in the way.

14. BFTrout

BFTrout

build a platform like the above post and bolt the kennel to the platform. this will eliminate the need for straps, plus they tend to crush the kennel so the door doesn't operate properly. make the platform wide enough to get caught on the seat if the truck goes air borne.

Lamarsh likes this.
  15. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I'm wondering if there's a way I can bolt my kennel down to that load floor on my Ram, sort of what BFTrout said above regarding a platform, but with the load floor already in my Ram. Only issue is that it is pretty flimsy, it's designed to have a load pressed down against it, not lifted up from it.....