Any opinions on the SnowDog icefishing thingamabob....

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Capnhook, Jan 8, 2018.

1. kevin1

kevin1

I’m not sure, haven’t looked into it that much
    I would assume my homeowners ins may cover it, I’ll check next time I meet with my agent
    I’m kinda upset that they didn’t recognize it as a snowmobile, the registration is a lot cheaper that route

2. Scout 2

Scout 2

If I had the get up and go that I did 5 years ago I would build one. I have this neat little gear box off an 6 wheel drive vec here that has forward and reverse. I have a machine with the bogie wheels and wide track plus all the steel and aluminum I need in my shop. Biggest advantage is I have a small mill in my shop to do whatever. Maybe this summer

FREEPOP likes this.

3. gamalot

gamalot

I thought about doing that with an old Toro snowblower that had tracks. The auger part up front was all rusted out but the engine and tranny ran fine. Too bad I don't have the metal tools. No welder and my pals who do have that stuff just don't have time. I honestly never thought it would be of much use for pulling because it did not have the weight.

Gam

4. 4h20

4h20

I would take an old rupp snowmobile over any of these sno dog things. If it's too slow to jump a crack then you might not make it back. I can't even imagine making a 12 mile round trip going that slow.

5. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  6. 4h20

4h20

Yup, either one of those are better than a snow dog. Better deal too.

7. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

everyone doesn't think the same that's what makes the world go around, if no one buys the new stuff it doesn't hit the used market, I would be more likely to buy a Bolens hus ski, that would appreciate in value and if I remember correctly they had implements available like walking tractors, or was that just they're dozers
    now thats cooking with gas, I could see me putting Raider tracks on my 69 JD112 :)[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Cohojoe likes this.
  8. Schlomo

Schlomo

I called the DNR about this a few minute ago. Person on the phone told me it needs to be registered as an ORV in Michigan, and then i need to buy an ORV sticker. Problem is, when i check the SOS for ORV Registration, they state they do not register ORV's, but will Title them.

So my question is, what do i need to make my home-made TrackSled legal? My assumption is a title from the SOS and an ORV sticker. Should be about $11 for the ORV Title, and $26 for the ORV sticker. Not too bad, if im actually correct.

The woman also said they can go on ORV trails with the Trail sticker, but are prohibited on designated Snowmobile trails.

9. Scout 2

Scout 2

Unless something has changed your ORV sticker is your trail sticker if you buy the higher priced one. You need to find out if they call it a snowmobile or ORV as there is a difference between the registrations. ORV has a choice between 2 stickers and a snowmobile has registration numbers plus a trail permit

10. Schlomo

Schlomo

The DNR person i talked to said it was 100% an ORV, and even stressed they're not allowed on Snowmobile designated trails.

Seems i dont need a title. Looks like just the ORV sticker should be good.

This thread definitely helped me answer a few questions.

Scout 2 likes this.
  11. Scout 2

Scout 2

There are 2 ORV stickers. You buy one and you can ride the roads not the trails. The more expensive one you can ride both. But you only need one or the other

12. Fishontippydam

Fishontippydam

We get lots of slush here. So much that even a snowmobile gets stuck if going too slow or stop. I wonder how the DNR will track you down, to give you your ticket for abandonment??? Serial #??

13. gamalot

gamalot

A few years back we had a foot of good ice followed by a foot of snow and then rain. The top 2 inches of snow crusted over so you could walk but every few steps you broke through to fall into 6 inches of slush between the top crust and the ice. Every machine that ventured out got stuck in that crap. Wouldn't it just be more intelligent to stay off the ice with all machines when those conditions occur? Getting any machine unstuck is a royal PITA for sure.
    Here in NY we don't have ORV stickers. A machine is either a vehicle and registered and insured or it is not. Snowmobiles can go on designated trails and the ice and ATVs can go on public lakes but only where they are allowed but never on snowmobile trails. What happens in Michigan or Wisconsin has no bearing on NY. I just don't know how this will all work out with the snow dog. Some side by side ATVs or UTVs such as the RZR under 50 inches wide can be registered while other larger UTVs can't be registered. I see them all out on the ice here so as far as I know so far we are in a very gray area at this time. I am sure the laws and rules will eventually catch up and make some rules since the Snowdogs are new this year. I have seen guys with lawn tractors and snowblowers cutting paths out to their fishing spots and making hockey rinks for the kids and also making large oval tracks for motorcycle ice racing. BTW, dirt bikes used for ice racing can't be registered here in NY either but they sure do go on the ice. The jury is out at this moment and there is no telling what the final decision will be here in NY. I think I am the only one down in this part of NY with a snowdog so far and there are a few further north that I have heard of. I did stud my track with Kold Cutter ice screws and can say for sure they make a major difference getting back off the ice where the lake level was dropped leaving a sharp uphill climb back to the launch and parking.

Gam

Scout 2 likes this.
  14. KENJZ

KENJZ

How about the quality of snowdog? I don't worry about the engine because it is famous. I worry about the track and wonder how long it will last. I saw this youtube video at 0:53, the track has already having cracks. No good?

15. gamalot

gamalot

I suspect the track is just like any other snowmobile tracks and it all depends on how hard you are running it and what terrain you run it on. On my local launch ramp there is a cement pad going to the ice/water but at the top to the parking area is stones and the dog does slip in them if I try pulling a heavy load because they are lose. I don't push it pulling the shanties because it just wants to dig a hole and throw the rocks. It looks like this guy in the video does in fact try to dig his way in stones and gravel. I just checked my track with the Kold Cutter screws and it looks fine after maybe 10 miles on the ice but never trying to pull more than just me and the machine through the gravel and it never digs in or spins unless I try pulling a load. How long the track will last is an unknown thing right now since this is the first year they have been here.

Gam