Any opinions on the SnowDog icefishing thingamabob....

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Capnhook, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Scout 2

Scout 2

If you can pick it up a short ways off the floor may be bet some of the snowmobile dollies until you get rev. These have all the wheel that swivel and usually come 3 to a set

2. gamalot

gamalot

Thanks y2ba. This sure is not any sort of argument between the machines we use to get our gear on the ice. I am just discussing some comparisons but from only what I am familiar with. I know for sure that a 4X4 ATV with chains all around is probably the best option in all the various conditions we may encounter. I have had both Polaris Sportsmans and an RZR set up for ice. I never owned a snowmobile because we just don't get a steady snow pack here to make them useful except for a month or two on the ice. Strictly speaking as a tow mobile I am pretty thrilled with the snow dog. I can only speak from the NY point of view. ATVs and snowmobiles require License, registration and Insurance year round here and that is about a $400 annual expense. I don't have the room any more to store a big machine and I did not want to spend big bucks on a new machine ATV or Snow or buy a used machine and spend time and money wrenching. I have the Snowdog for under $3500 and it gets the job done nicer than I expected in almost all conditions. YUP, there will be some upgrades and tweaks on it along the way. I am already working with Snowdog reps to get the reverse and they have been fabulous since my first email with them. Impressive actually. This is a machine for guys who don't require a play toy but who do require a tow mule. It is not the end all do all gadget but it can be used year round on land or in the snow or on the ice. I all but gave up hunting because I just can't drag a deer out of the vast woods right behind my back yard unless I have pals to come and help. This dog will hunt! I can store it in my shed in a 2 foot by 5 foot corner and out of my way. I am very sure it will pull me on the stand up sled with three flip over shanties behind with no issues at all regarding power. It was a locomotive and did very well on glare ice too unlike what other have said. I had three buddies with me who will testify to that and lots of weight behind it. I was at first very worried but that evaporated once the machine began chugging along without much slipping at all. Ice screw studs are in the future as is the reverse option. Last Sunday we had 3-4 inches of snow on top and it was a real hoot to go blasting after I got set up fishing. Faster than I want to go these days and everyone who saw it was quite impressed. I think I have the only one down in these parts so it is new to all but that won't be for long.

Gam

3. gamalot

gamalot

Thanks Scout2, never gave that a thought. I think I did solve half of that problem today. My trailer is a Triton snowmobile clam shell tilt bed which should have made this easy. Those who have these trailers will understand. For others here is the deal. If the cover is in the down position I can tilt the bed and it stays tilted like a ramp at an angle. If the cover is in the up position I can tilt the trailer bed but it will not stay in the tilted position unless I have someone up front hold it up. Seems weird I can't use the tilt ramp when the cover is open unless I prop something under the front. Why have a tilt bed if you can't drive up and into it. Spoke with Triton this morning and they have an optional gas piston kit that will allow the trailer to be open and tilted so with the snowdog on a downward angle in the tilted trailer I think the dragging will be way easier than pulling it backwards while flat or horizontal.

Gam

4. Scout 2

Scout 2

I had the same thing on the one I had. I mad a stick to prop it up but I think with the gas strut they have you can load 2 machines side by side while in the tilt position. Just be safe what ever you do. I saw a guy load a quad in the back of a truck one night half way up it slipped off the ramp with him half under it. Luck was on his side he did not hurt

5. gamalot

gamalot

Is there any info up in the forum regarding how the officials are reacting to the Snowdog on the ice? I have not yet been approached here in NY by any DEC or ENCON officers and just wondering if other states have made ruling on their usage.

6. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

They didn't last in the market years ago for a reason, and at least they had twin tracks with skid steer[​IMG][​IMG]

Scout 2 likes this.
  7. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

8. Scout 2

Scout 2

I was thinking about one of those when this post was started. Massey made one also. I know where there is one of the bolens sitting outside minus the motor. I looked at it but it has sat for so long nothing is any good on it anymore. Fox Trac made one also but I think just for the first year in the mid 60's

9. gamalot

gamalot

I guess that settles it then! A few companies tried marketing this type of machine back in the 60s so now 50 years later it makes no sense for a new company to do it with modern technology. Back then we had a Rupp snowmobile and based on that logic I guess it made no sense for companies to build off those early designs, Right?

Gam

10. Scout 2

Scout 2

They had some flaws and with today tech IO think they could have been much improved. I like the design of the one you have much better and it is more compact. weighs much less

11. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

The Op asked for opinions, you have yours and that's fine , they were marketing an elec one a few years back I don't see them out there and I really don't see such a specialty niche item catching on anymore than 3000 dollar tracks for a 4 wheeler, or any more than I could ever see myself taking a perfectly good $500 low mileage snowmobile and cutting the front half off and mounting the engine onto the tunnel so I could put handlebars on it and walk behind. I used to have a walking tractor ,I liked it, but I would never get rid of my garden tractor to make room for one! Willcrafts are way cool but you're not likely to see a lot of them to much of a niche single purpose item.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  12. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

SDI sells them, although I'm not seeing any modern tecno, more blast with 4 stroke lawnmower engine, cv clutch,boogie wheel track,like the early 60s, muscle steering, instead of skid steer and in today's world where people can't even change a flat tire, I can see the appeal of having something that's brand new that they're not going to have to tinker with

13. gamalot

gamalot

My main draw to it was that I don't have to waste $400 every year on plates, registration and insurance to run it on the ice or behind my house in the woods. That might not last given I do live in NY and sooner or later the state will figure a way to get their "Fair Share" in the form of fees and taxes. That plus the fact I don't have the cash or room any more to store a big snowmobile or ATV while I do have room for the Snowdog. It fits on and in my enclosed snowmobile trailer with both of my sled shanties so it is a win for me. Believe me, I can wrench on any machine just fine but in the $3,000 price range most of the machines I was seeing were well used and abused and over 10 years old. Most of them lacked the correct paperwork necessary at the DMV to even get them legal on the ice. Here in NY if there is no clear title or transferable registration then you can pound salt. It works just fine for ice fishing and on the old wood roads throughout my property. I had some fun blasting through 3 foot high snow banks and it had no problem at all however my body at 66 is not up to that type of fun these days. It did real good dragging a very full load of firewood in my large jet sled.

Gam

14. kevin1

kevin1

Well Michigan has decided that these will now be considered an ORV and must be registered and all laws followed while operating
    Not happy with that decision, but the little man has very few options

15. gamalot

gamalot

I do expect that NY will follow on that matter once a few of them get out and seen. If it moves, Tax it! Does Michigan require liability insurance also?

Gam