close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any opinions on the SnowDog icefishing thingamabob....

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Capnhook, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Scout 2

Scout 2

The sled does not come with it unless this has changed this year. I have yet to see someone use one in deep snow or slush

2. sureshot006

sureshot006

Yeah I don't know if it comes with it or not but I know my buddy's dad has a seat. Maybe he added it, I don't know for sure. He does not stand to ride out.

Don't know how it would handle deep snow/slush, either.

3. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

For some reason I am seeing William H Bonney at the driver's side window with a cherry squishy in his hand lookin' in YOUR window....

:lol: :mischeif: :evilsmile :woohoo1: :bouncy: :corkysm55

"SAY AHHHH!"

[​IMG]

4. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Do they have a studded track?

5. sureshot006

sureshot006

No. Almost worthless on bare, wind polished ice

Scout 2 likes this.
  6. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

I'm sure you can stud it just like a sled but then it's going to tear up the back of your car lol

sureshot006 likes this.
  7. sureshot006

sureshot006

Honestly I think its a cool idea but i don't see the snodog being real popular long term...

William H Bonney likes this.
  8. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Same. Not around here anyways where most people have quads and sleds.

9. leadbelly

leadbelly

Hopefully it's a cherry and coke slushy. Yum yum yum.

William H Bonney likes this.
  10. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Saw one a 2 weeks backs with some wet snow on the ice and this guy couldn't get that thing to move anywhere with his gear hooked up. He ended up leaving his gear to go in and put studs on the track and cam back for it. He is a shop owner where they sell them too so my guess is he has the $3000 version. I would say your much better off with a $3000 sled.

4h20 likes this.
  11. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sfw1960 likes this.
  12. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I was wondering when the infamous Slurpy MassaH was goin' to happen along on that!

:evilsmile :whistle:

13. gamalot

gamalot

I will be on the ice tomorrow morning for the first time with my Snowdog B13ME model. Pretty sure it will be glare ice here so wish me luck if the reports are accurate and it does need studs.

On land with 8 inches of snow it goes fine but I will say it is a bit top heavy and tippy. The sled is an extra $200 and comes with hifax runners but not with the optional chairs. They have a basic chair and a nicer padded one for them.

Two things I know for sure is you will absolutely want the next model up from mine, B13MER which comes with reverse. They should also incorporate top mounted grab handles to make it easier to move around on your trailer or rite it if you lay it over. At 300 pounds and with no forward mounted grab spots it can be a bear. I steered mine off the path and between a couple trees and needed my Kubota to yank it back out.

All in all it is a well made machine and I love the fact I don't need to license, register and insure it every year here in NY where that adds a good $300 to the annual cost of using it.

Better report after tomorrow with the maiden voyage of the dog pulling my new Otter XT PRO Resort.

hawgeye, Scout 2 and William H Bonney like this.
  14. gamalot

gamalot

Positive reviews all the way around from me. It was 9 degrees with 12 inches of solid black ice and 10 MPH winds and just a few patches of light snow but otherwise just ice skating ice. The snow dog performed perfect and pulled a chain including the stand up dog sled behind it plus my Otter XT Pro Resort sled shanty and 2 other Clam shanties all tied together and never skipped a beat or had any traction issue until we got back to the launch ramp that was glare ice and a 30 degree incline. On the flat ice it was a complete hoot and perfect mule and no studs required. The sleds being pulled were a different issue. They were wagging the dog all the way from side to side but the dog just chugged along. We had some fun after setting up and playing with just the dog and sled. Picture a boat pulling a skier and doing some sharp turns and a spin out but everyone wanted to go play.

Just to be clear, guys on Snowmobiles with studs and ATVs with chains had just as hard a time going up the launch ramp as the snow dog did if pulling a load. Once I unhooked the shanties from the stand up dog sled I was able to blast up the ramp with very little slipping as long as I got a good run at it. I tried going up in other similar spots that had deep snow cover and no problems at all. Those who want to bash the snow dog's abilities as a ice gear mule are probably just lefties who will never like anything but what they have. A Polaris Ranger with no chains or studs made it just about as far as I did pulling his load and after he unhooked the load he went up all the way same as me.

I will be back out later this week pulling just my clam 2 man and I know for sure it will go where ever I point it. With studs in the track it would easily crawl up the launch ramp with glare ice towing a load. Traction was the issue there but not the power to do it. I am pretty sure if I have snow on top of the ice the dog will do the job just fine and that my friends is exactly where my legs don't have the power.

Gam

hawgeye, PerchPatrol and Scout 2 like this.
  15. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Just to be clear I have nothing but my own 2 feet, just reporting what I saw. It may run very well on ice, idk because what I saw was a Snowdog going absolutely nowhere with the gear hooked up in wet snow. Show me a snowmobile that won't go through that. Just my opinion, the next year or 2 will be searching for a machine and the snowdog will not be on the list.