close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any opinions on the SnowDog icefishing thingamabob....

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Capnhook, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Capnhook

Capnhook

Do any of you have a SnowDog? Has any of you had any experience with a SnowDog? What is your opinion of them? Wifey mentioned it for a birthday present, and I suspect I'll be getting one. Guess she feels sorry for my old legs. I got a knee replacement in Late Nov, and I'm getting another one in Late Feb., and she knows I love to icefish. Thanks for any input. Capnhook

2. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I am not familiar with snow dogs but when we use to snowmobile a lot we had quite a problem with snow snakes. Fortunately we always carried a couple bottles of anti-venom! Seriously I have watched the videos and I think I will stick with riding a quad.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006

know someone with one. Seems great in that it is compact, can run on dry land. Other than that I think quads or sleds are better, if you want to spend the money on one. I think price is the biggest attraction.

Probably have to stud the track of the snowdog, too. Doesn't work worth dog doo on glare ice.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Bumble likes this.
  4. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

I'd Stick with a nice two up sled or a quad. Can buy some nice machines and a trailer for the price of the sno dog. Plus there's no way I'm riding in a sled on rough ice out on the bay or bigger lakes. Defiantly want something with a suspension.

5. Scout 2

Scout 2

My neighbor has one and he uses it in the summer and winter both. He took a lawn cart and uses the weels on it in the summer and made skis for it for the ice. He was loading in his van but this year he bought a small covered trailer and leaves everything in the trailer. I saw him today going down the road standing in a jet sled and it does not look like it goes very fast. I agree on the price it seems like a lot for what it is

6. fishbuster

fishbuster

I saw 1 pulling 3 jet sleds the other day. Looked like a black train going across lake. Was moving right along.

7. sureshot006

sureshot006

I think top speed is 20 mph.

8. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I have to wonder how much effort is involved in steering? I know that riding in a sled, without any suspension, is rough.

9. y2ba

y2ba

On smooth ice, I’m sure they’d work pretty slick. The price is a bit steep in my opinion. If you were to ride in that sled for a weekend on any of the bigger waters, your back would hurt so bad you’d forget about your knee!

10. Scout 2

Scout 2

I wondered about that myself it looks like it would want to slide sideways and would be worse yet on ice. The standing up thing would kill me> He told me when I was talking to him that they have or we developing a sled for it that you sit on and he was going to get one. If it was me I would already have one made and be using it

11. junkman

junkman

It wouldn't take much to put together a riding sulky .A couple of old snowmobile skis and springs and a seat you would be in business .

leadbelly, y2ba and Scout 2 like this.
  12. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

Yeah, Junkman be pimpin' that snowdoggie!

Duck-Hunter likes this.
  13. sureshot006

sureshot006

You do not have to stand. There's a seat in the sled.

14. in the blood

in the blood

looking at one myself. Don't need a trailer helmet orv stickers stores in sled very small footprint 280lbs. 3500for setup isn't bad. but a used 2 up sled would be better ride cheaper been pondering for a week

jiggin is livin and sureshot006 like this.
  15. leadbelly

leadbelly

I just wonder how good it is in 8 inches of slush with 4 inches of snow on top of that