Any one Cisco fishing in Oakland co?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by wallyduckman, Feb 10, 2018.

1. wallyduckman

wallyduckman

Would like to learn the ropes! Never done it but would like to smoke some. I live near few lakes that are full of them. So any info to catch the on the ice would be helpful thanks

2. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I used to live in Oakland County but never caught a Cisco (or heard of one for that matter) until I moved to NW MI. Up here you benefit greatly from electronics. The Cisco move around in schools, typically suspended in the middle third of the water column. I catch them as deep as 100 ft down and as shallow as 30 ft down. A typical size range is 16-22". So use a large vertical spoon, untipped. Swedish Pimples, Elk Rapids jigs, or (my favorite) a 2 oz Jonah Jig, for example. You want something big and flashy that can get down deep fairly quickly. Fish the bottom with one line for perch, whitefish, Lakers or whatever and when you see the suspended school of large marks come through, drop your ready Cisco jig into a second hole and stop just above the pack. Jig moderately aggressively, like 18-24" lifts, and follow the jig down with minimal slack in the line so you can detect a strike. More often than not, they will come up to hit the falling jig and you detect that by suddenly seeing more slack in the line than before. If no immediate takers, let line out and jig your way down through the school. You can often see the whole school moving around vertically as your lure works its way down. Their mouths are thin so go easy on the hookset. They fight well but have a tendency to tear free of the hook near the ice due to head shakes + thin lips. Better to tire them out a bit in the depths before bringing into the hole. If you are lucky you will get a second chance at the same school but often not, as the schools move on quickly and then it's back to your bottom fishing until another pelagic school appears 45 minutes later.
    Good luck. Report back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Scout 2, wallyduckman and Firefighter like this.

3. Pointerguy

Pointerguy

Years ago we used to fish them on Cedar Island lake in White Lk twp. We would drill two holes each. With a spud ramp one edge and jig Swedish pimples. We fished deep water. When you landed one you would drop the other pull and start walking back. Someone would take the fish off and throw the lure back into the hole and you would walk back up to your hole. No bait used that I can remember. The fishing was fast and furious when they came through.

4. Moritahei

Moritahei

We used get them occasionally while trout fishing on Orchard Lake (mid to late 60’s) in about 45ft or so.

5. michael marrs

michael marrs

any lakes w/ public access that would have these?
    ?

6. Firefighter

Firefighter

Quite a few lakes around here used to have healthy populations. T'was a hoot catching them and no better fish smoked IMO.

They need clean healthy lakes. Apparently they're not as clean as they used to be.

I've also noticed a direct, observable and pronounced correlation between the increase in walleye (vermin) stocking and decrease in cisco. (I speak about local inland lakes only)

I'll take a few cisco over a limit of walleye any day.

GOTONE and michael marrs like this.
  7. michael marrs

michael marrs

really, wow, I have heard, that they had a direct reflection, on how large the pike could be, interesting about eating them, I have never caught one, ( or did not know what it was)