Any newer Detroit River, Lake Erie Fisherman Here?

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by Skinner 2, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Curious, any older teens new to fishing here thats going about it mostly alone?

How about any people with a young family (kids) thats new and getting into fishing? Perhaps just purchashed an older boat? Very limited on tackle?

2. Namrock

Namrock

Just started taking my boy over on big water this year. Did the scr drifting bb/harnesses & lake Saint Clair casting for smallies. Want to get him over on Erie, but I know that's an entirely different animal. Been watching this fourm trying to pick up pointers, but sometimes it's like you guys are speaking a whole different language when you're talking about your gear;) & I get a little cornfused. I did pick up some old planer boards from another member on MS. Going to have to bite the bullet & go out there & juat give it a whirl. Lots of good information on here this site that's for sure!

3. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Im sure all the terminology can be confusing to a new person. Bad enough techniques and minor tweeks we all do to trying to figure out what the color patterns really look like.

Everyone here has a prefered way of fishing. Sometimes hard to try something new.

How did you do on SCR? What boat ya running?

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  4. Namrock

Namrock

Went the Fri before last & we got 5 keeper eye's between 15-20". Boy also caught a pretty nice cat. The boats an old 89 Lund ProV dlx 1700 with a Johnson 70. & I have heard & seen enough to know we have to pick our days to go out on Erie with that size of a boat.
    IMG_20200619_105251128.jpg
    IMG_20200619_100258916.jpg
    IMG_20200619_093253367.jpg
    IMG_20200529_194009615_HDR.jpg

Not a 2 man limit by any means, but he had a blast & it was a fun day learning.

5. detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Awesome job Namrock! He’ll never forget those days

Namrock likes this.
  6. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Come two weeks earlier next year buddy :) you caught the tail end. Always slows end of June into July. Give Erie a try. Can't be that hard. I've done the trolling gig with my uncle on big water. Not to hard I man my side just fine ;)
    Lotta good guy's, pm's go a long ways on here

bustapapa, piperjrc and Namrock like this.
  7. Slimshady

Slimshady

No, but I took a couple of kids like that a few weeks ago for their first ever Erie trip. We all had a blast. It was great being able to show them the ropes and put them on their first walleyes of their lives. They didn't want to quit. By the end, they wanted to catch sheep more than walleyes because they fight so hard, and we already had our limit of eyes anyway. I used to fish with their dad, but he died 6 years ago from MS, so he isn't around to take them like he should have been. I will be taking them again soon.

8. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Slim,

Thats great you were able to get them out and willing to take them again. .

I think deep down many guys like catching the big sheep cause they fight so well. People just don't want to admit it. Kinda the moped fat girl thinking.

9. WillC

WillC

I just set up my Hurricane deck boat with 2 rod holders on each side to troll. My 10 year old son and I went out yesterday morning and were able to get 3 keepers in the boat. We started out with husky jerk lures with no success, then switched to crawler harnesses and that's when we caught 3. We were trolling between 1.8 and 2.5 mph.

Attached Files:

10. haggerty05

haggerty05

Erie is not that different and nothing to be nervous about. Just respect the weather and wind direction. I moved down here from warren and thought the same thing. Bottom bouncersamd harnesses work just fine. The weather is looking good for the next week come on down. Head straight out of sterling state park to 22-25 fow and start from there. If catching alot of sheepshead speed up. If still catching sheepshead try farther out. You run a good chance of getting a master angler one down here too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Hook and Ladder and Namrock like this.
  11. Walleye whore

Walleye whore

I also fished crawlers yesterday getting 12 keepers. Our speed was 1.2-1.4. 1.8 and more a little fast IMO?

Hook and Ladder and Namrock like this.
  12. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

We ran crawlers and Bandits Friday and if l ran 2 - 2.2 no junk fish and both sides caught walleye. I have found when fishing is like it is right now you can get away with faster speeds with harnesses .

Namrock and jstfish48162 like this.
  13. Slimshady

Slimshady

If you are confused about any of the lingo, just shoot one of us a PM. We would be happy to sort it out for you. Here are the main terms you need to know:

BB = Bottom Bouncers
    Meat = Crawlers/Crawler harnesses
    Jets/Spoons = Jet divers pulling small spoons like the Michigan Stinger Spoons
    Note: There are multiple sizes of Jets from 10 - 50. Most of the time 10's and 20's are great for this part of Erie.
    In-lines = In-line sinkers that generally resemble a bait-fish. They range from 1/2 oz to 4 oz.
    Boards = Off-shore or Churches boards that attach to your line and take it to the side.
    Tattle-flags = Kits that you modify your boards with so that you can see when a fish hits your bait.
    Farm Animals = Sheephead
    Mini-discs = Smallest sized, non-tripping "dipsey-type" diver that dives about 15-20 feet.
    "40 back" = this means how far behind the board you are running your baits. You let out 40 feet of line and then attach the board. From there you might run it out another 75-150 feet, but that doesn't really matter. Most of us do this with line-counter reels, but if you don't have those, you can estimate it by pulling your rod from parallel to the water to straight up while letting out line and each of those is "10-feet". As long as you are consistent when setting them each time you catch a fish, it doesn't really matter how you do it.

14. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

That's nice of you. I'll join.

White spot = good
    Alotta white = bad
    Loaded up = good
    Heavy thumping = bad

Don't forget to bleed 'em and zip'em or some crotchety, old guy will have words for you at the cleaning station.

Just trying to help my buddy, Nammy, out! ;)

Namrock likes this.
  15. Namrock

Namrock

Look at all this great information on here, You guy's really do rock! Thanks for your explanation of terms slimshady, that helped explain some stuff for sure. Labtech's was a little more like jibberish, but I'm used to that from him over on the deer hunting forum's :p Going to keep an eye on the wind forecast, but I think we're going to give it a try out of Sterling State Park Fri morning. Might even get to bring my dad with us.
    In all seriousness, thanks for the information on here. Been a big help already

jstfish48162 and LabtechLewis like this.