any info on white oak sub-species

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Kingor3, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Kingor3

Kingor3

Started a thread a while ago about swamp white oaks but I am still looking for any decent information about whites, bi-color, and bur oaks ( which i believe are sub-species of white oaks.). I initially thought I had found swamp white oaks in my hunting area, but i believe they are bur oaks. They are producing whopper sized acorns with big hairy almost full cups ( mossycup oak ) and getting tore up by the deer. I am however curious as to which taste better, i know whites are better than the reds but have been researching online and can't come up with much. Need some good old common sense and personal experiences from some deer guys. thanks chris :corkysm55

2. dbltree

dbltree

Yes bur oaks are white oaks while pin and black oaks belong to the red oak species.

I have pics, links and detailed information in my tree planting threads.

Tree Planting

I also have more information about identifying oak and other tree species in my thread on TSI.

Timber Stand Improvment

Jump to page 5 I think for pics of oaks (bark, leaves, twigs etc.) to help you identify them but the entire thread is worth reading. :)

3. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

Oaks easily "cross", i.e. hybridize. A bur oak will cross with a english oak. This readily happens in the wild sometimes making it hard to id the result. Use a field guide or bring back pics and samples and research on the web. The field guide also gives you the geographic range of the various types. This helps eliminate the less common varieties.

4. dbltree

dbltree

My TSI thread on Outreach has a few more pictures and a listing of all the white oak hybrids ( at least the common ones...there may be upwards of 150!) and members of the white oak genus.

Find that info under the white oak pictures all of which are in one post so you don't need to page thru a bunch of comments.

TSI - Tree ID

Don't attempt it with dialup...:SHOCKED::D

5. Kingor3

Kingor3

thanks guys great info