Any Heddon reel experts on the board? (Heddon Mark IV 3200)

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by zuren, Aug 6, 2020.

1. zuren

zuren

Many years ago I acquired a Heddon rod and reel setup from my grandfather when he was still alive. I am mostly a spin reel guy, so it has been in my closet for years. I believe he got it from his brother who was a big pike and musky fisherman down in Ohio. The rod is far too short and stiff for my fishing, but the reel seems quite nice.

The reel is a Heddon Mark IV 3200. Made in Japan. One recently sold on Ebay for $60 that was not in as good of condition as mine is, so it seems to be a desirable reel that I would like to try to use.

Not mine but here is an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254670901782
    Images

But I have a question around the cast control since I'm not sure it is working as intended/designed. I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this reel?

The cast control is pretty simple - a knob on the side puts pressure on a shaft that is part of the spool; tighten the knob, more drag on the spool during casting. But I think something is missing on mine (e.g. ball bearing or something else that goes under the cap). I have not been able to find an owners manual or parts schematic for the reel (still searching).

If anyone is familiar with this reel, I would be interested in having a conversation!

Thanks!

2. tincanary

tincanary

I'm not familiar with the reel at all, completely unknown to me. I could probably lend a hand though. Does the spool tension knob work as it should?

3. zuren

zuren

Maybe some images would be helpful (attached).

The nipple you see sticking out the side of the end cap is part of the spool shaft. That is a little exaggerated with how that is sticking out (see the image where the spool appears to be shifted to one side).

With the spool sitting where it is supposed to be, that nipple is slightly recessed in the shaft. The way the interior of the cap is shaped, it won't touch the nipple, so it seems to me that something is missing - a ball bearing or something to fill the gap that should be trapped in the cap. As it stands, I can tighten that knob and I never have an effect on the cast control.

Without a parts schematic or someone who knows the reel, it is impossible for me to tell.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. tincanary

tincanary

Do you know when it was manufactured? Bearings were very uncommon in reels until the 70s, most used bushings to keep manufacturing costs low. I'm thinking it may take a bronze or brass bushing. Measure the inside diameter of the cap, the spool shaft, and the depth of the knob up to the copper shim. You should be able to find something that fits and try it out. Bushings are cheap. I may have some that will fit it. If you can get me the measurements I'll see what I have and send one your way assuming I have a compatible part.

5. tincanary

tincanary

Actually on second thought, it looks to be complete to me, just had to bring it up on a bigger screen. The snap ring is what holds the bushing or bearing in place inside of the side plate. The shims in the spool cap are there to fill in the space between the cap and spool shaft end. You may want to flip the shims around as they look a little worn which is pretty normal. Put a drop of oil on the shim and test it out.