Antlerless ok on combo license

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by icefalcon, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Obviously you think there is a better system. Can you explain to us how you think we can get to a 100% confidence level?

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. brookie1

brookie1

For the 2019 report we received 25,070 surveys back, which actually puts us in the 99 percent confidence level. So we are almost there, lol. But hey, let's put in a much less accurate system. Trying to calculate exactly how many deer we don't have seems to be important for some reason so why not make it more of a challenge.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020

3. Waif

Waif

Where did my writing that I accept the confidence level method indicate I know of a better way?

I was trained to make up charts and statistics.
    And in doing so could produce desired outcomes.
    Parameters can be adjusted to lower spikes/swings ect..

I don't have to accept the states confidence level simply because you or the state does.
    Any more than you or the state have to accept mine.

We are going to see check stations phased out except for a few.
    The state already has ideas of how data will be collected.
    The pasts positive interaction with the D.N.R. at stations going the way of better (?) methods of collecting data.
    What's that leave casual hunters? A license and rules check or a ticket. Not exactly positive interactions if you're hunting at the time.

Surveys could be much improved. At least those I've filled out's leading questions.
    I do see where township section in data can help. As well as number age and sex of deer removed. But that still ignores what deer remain. Which is a herd managements foundation. Otherwise old mother Hubbard's cupboard may or may not be being managed for future withdrawals in a statistically measured manner. There is a bottom to the barrel , even if you only remove ten crackers a day while a few get tossed in as new recruits steadily, how many you remove does not tell how many exist /remain unless you know how many you started with , plus the new additions.
    I removed a hundred every X amount of time , so there must be a hundred more seems to be our method of knowing deer numbers. Even if spotlight surveys show a hundred tonight, the barrel is bigger than where an individual deer is standing.

How has the current survey method complimented C.W.D. management in my hot zone?
    How are current regulations (far removed from the original response plan , be that good or bad in it's inconsistency and evolving regulations) complimenting C.W.D. management?

Do we need statistical sampling to know deer kills will be down here this year from their highs?
    Or do we need surveys to know that?
    I don't. And the season has barely started.
    So why the regulation changes reducing kills by reducing testing? Money?
    If it's money , then past surveys confidence levels mean little to management in their application when money=application.

Would you be willing to share the cost of testing? Was one question on a prior survey or surveys.. No mention of requirements to obtain testing ,or the state collecting information from another states testing of this states deer.
    For those hunters who replied no , what confidence level of their participation exists?
    And who is applying that data in a positive manner?

motdean likes this.
  4. MichMatt

MichMatt

Yes Indiana has a call in #. very easy and I think you have only so much time too. Maybe 72 hours and if I recall they give you a verification number too.
    but its been over 5 years since I last hunted in IN.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  5. bansheejoel

bansheejoel

So obviously I understand the whole two doe licensing changes this year but I can’t find anywhere if this is private only or includes public. Can anyone chime in? Thanks

6. motdean

motdean

It's both.

7. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

You sure?

8. Rainman68

Rainman68

Any license, any season, anywhere in MI = "Dead Doe".

9. motdean

motdean

Almost. I believe that there is a portion of the western U.P. that does not allow you to take an antlerless on a buck tag.

When I said "both" in an earlier post, it was reflective of both private and public land in the areas that it was legal.
    upload_2020-10-5_5-40-3.png

jr28schalm likes this.
  10. DabblerDuck

DabblerDuck

It seems like more and more the DNR is making decisions that allow people to do whatever will make them happy and make the state money.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

That chart is out of date. See 2020 Guide for the present regs.

12. motdean

motdean

Liver and Onions likes this.
  13. sniper

sniper

The blood bit has always made me chuckle when comparing statistical real numbers to deer numbers. The blood in your body is a constant. Trying to collect deer and deer hunting numbers in the state of MI is like trying to herd cats. Take in part the human element of a survey (that’s a disaster to begin with) then throw in an animal that is no where near a constant in any part of this state, you have a recipe for endless jagged numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

14. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

motdean likes this.
  15. fishx65

fishx65

Just learned about this yesterday and the depression is setting in. I hunt Lake County and the deer population was just starting to get pretty good again after 15 years of really low numbers. This SUCKS!!!!!!!! I guess the only good part is that I'll have the stateland woods to myself again very soon which is something I did enjoy during the lean years.