Antique fishing lures

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. St. Clair' started by Chris Hurttgam, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Chris Hurttgam

Chris Hurttgam

Does anyone know of any antique fishing lure shows around southeast michigan area. My dad has passed down some old lures that i would like to know of what value they are. I have a couple dozen all wood some with no eyes some with glass eyes and one with a propeller. Trying to look on line with no luck.

2. fishingmonster

fishingmonster

Post some pics

3. I'd rather be fishing

I'd rather be fishing

tmp_1587-Screenshot_2018-03-09-13-43-53120285468.png My dad knew this guy and went to school with his son Dale back in the late 50's early 60's. They went fishing together and every now and then they'd give my dad hand carved original lures to try out. He has a tackle box with many.
    Fred Arborgast known for bass lures.
    https://www.arbogastlures.com/
    Certain lures, that can be attributed to a known desirable maker, can go well into the hundreds even thousands. Be careful and do your homework one lure recently sold for over 100 thousand! Without seeing or knowing the maker evaluating is impossible.
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/fishing/overview
    This may help to get you started.

6667supersport likes this.
  4. I'd rather be fishing

I'd rather be fishing

One other thing the original box can increase the value dramatically.http://www.fishingcollectables.com/
    Many sites will offer value but remember they will low ball you, they have to in order to make money on resale.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    6667supersport likes this.
  5. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Color also matters. Have seen certain lures not that old sell for X amount of dollars, but if the color is very rare it can be worth 10X. Remember following an Ebay auction that had a solid black Bagley lure and a few others, I bookmarked the auction because it was at an unusually high dollar amount, at the end of the auction it more than tripled because of that lure, the 5 lures sold for well over $300.

I would try and identify the lures and do a search on Ebay to see what people are asking for them and/or what they have sold for.

I'd rather be fishing likes this.
  6. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Cool story.

I'd rather be fishing likes this.
  7. I'd rather be fishing

I'd rather be fishing

Any of you have an AL Hobbs original custom built rods?
    St Clair Shores, Back in the late 70's one of my dad's fishing buddies Ozzy took him to meet the guy who made all his fishing poles -AL Hobbs. My parents had him make about a dozen rods ulta-light thru mediums. I met him in 1987 and and he asked me what I like in a fishing pole we talked a bit he showed me his shop. A few months later my dad took me back over to his shop and I had a custom rod waiting for me. He use to joke with my dad that all the rods he makes have a lifetime guarantee, when he made mine he was 89 years old. tmp_26211-20180312_114607-64944710.jpg

This was his predominant color scheme he also had dark maroon sticks, absolutely beautiful. The rod in the pick has gone on 10+ fly-in trips, Erie, Huron, Michigan-1time, many rivers an of course LSC. It's caught over 2000 walleyes & around 300 northern pike. This rods 30th birthday is in 2 weeks! If the house starts on fire this is the one I grab on the way out.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    6667supersport, zfishin and PRU2 like this.