Antique Custom Walleye River Rigg

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Capt.Bob, May 15, 2018 at 1:05 AM.

1. Capt.Bob

Capt.Bob

Decided to try and restore this old Ouachita to a specialty rig for the largest river run in the world. This means ice out conditions and high water on the largest tributary to all the great lakes. This is what I am starting with.

Well some history on this boat first off this is a true Missouri built Bayou and river boat. This was Built in the late 50's to early sixties by the Ouachita boat co. named after the Ouachita river, so it is a flat bow and not a modified-v, which I think is a safer design where it is going to be used. Made for staying on top with little draft, and not rough water and smooth ride.

The other good thing is since this boat was built before the stamped in serial numbers law's, it had none. Plus this boat was bought for use on a private closed down gravel pit, meaning the land owner never registered it. So with no title, never registered, and been in one family and never left their farm,,,, I had to work with the Ohio Division of Watercraft for over 6 months to get a title. So,,,, it is now a 2017 Ouachita and I am the original owner,,,,,, and this boat will be pulled by a HHR, and at times be launched just backing in rivers from the river bank to launch!

So size is critical, In this dangerous waterway it needs to be big enough for 2 persons to safely fish and navigate in flood conditions, but small enough to portage in low water where boat ramps are not available to hit some pools.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After spending 5 months working with Ohio Div. of Watercraft It is now a titled 2017 Ouachita. I tipped out the middle seat and put rod lockers, front deck beefed up for electric anchor and battery station. and an aluminum sub-floor. Then strop and paint bwith Gilespie coatings, mill-spec paint,, WWII OD Green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also extended the port side ;ockers all the way to the rear, this made room for a dedicated fish finder and battery compartment with lock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I run a very heavy large 135 Amh battery, around 80# the Solar backup Vmax Tank AGM made the boat perform it's

best mounted up front, and the quick connect disconnects made for super easy changing locations from front to back, it was great! It planed quicker and had 3 to 4 mph higher speed with battery up front compared to moving it to the rear. This may change with another fisherman in the front seat,,, which is not installed yet, and the Captain seat is just thrown in for the test run and will be determined what seats will be used later!

No wrenches simply unplug the power supply from the plug in the bow, and move the battery and case to the rear, and plug it in. The power wire has 2 disconnects,18" long for each one, soldered to each copper eye terminal that bolts to the battery with 5/16" stainless steel bolt's. This is really handy changing the battery from the Hunt'r, to v-bottm Metal Miss-fit I resurrected 3 years ago. So handy to simply unplug a 120 amp disconnect and throw the battery box and all in the other boat and pug it in,,, ready roll!
    [​IMG]

This boat is complete with auyo bilge pump, the 45# capacity Minn-Kota Deckhand with optional hard wired remote located on the starboard side of the drivers seat, allowing one man operation in heavy boat traffic when needed, I can pull up or fall in behind moored boats, and control my boat speed to a stall while deploring the anchor for single file fishing action.
    [​IMG]

then for loading and unloading in the fast current, I added bumpers to guide the boat on, so even my old ars with my busted up back and neck can load it by myself at this old busted up age!
    [​IMG]

After it's first Walleye season on the big river, it proved to be even better than I had hoped. I would have to say there is not one thing I would change on this rigg. on high water bigger would be nice, but the I would need more motor, and in low water smaller would be easier to launch but to snakk for comfort for two guys. Plus, the HHR I own has the HO 2.4 engine, with 3:93 gears and with the factory 1000# towing package, runs like a raped ape with this rigg following! It was a great project and works better anything I could have bought pre rigged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and did we catch the fish!!!
    [​IMG]

2. drwink

drwink

3. roger15055

roger15055

Capt. Bob - You did a great job on it you should be Happy with that for years to come!! I like everything that you did to it as well. I was looking at it thinking winter canal perch fishing !! Congrats you made it your own! It's the Capt Bob limited Edition!!!

Capt.Bob likes this.
  4. Capt.Bob

Capt.Bob

Ya it really add's some personalized pride to it knowing it is a vintage boat from the 50's. Best of all is the way it does just what I needed and nothing more.

Scout 2 and roger15055 like this.
  5. piketroller

piketroller

Those first couple pictures were painful to look at. My uncle had one of these old Ouachita 4 seater jon boats which seem to be very rare, at least north of the Ohio River. Seeing that seat cut out was pretty rough to look at, but the project came out great in the end. It’s a little sad you had to cannibalize a unique boat like that, but it’s still much better than having it sit in the weeds in someone’s backyard for the next couple decades.

6. Capt.Bob

Capt.Bob

It's a boat, not muscle car. This was the only way to make something more useful out of it than you can buy for the certain purpose it was "cannibalized for". You would have had trouble getting $500.00 for it before,, he tried. But know I have turned down $2500.00.

Plus it is not an antique, it is a titled registered 2017 Ouachita today! I know what your saying, but as a 4 seat johnboat there are much better options today, but the way I built it I can't find a better option for what I need.

Scout 2 likes this.
  7. piketroller

piketroller

Enjoy the boat. I’m just saying one man’s old boat is another man’s muscle car.

Capt.Bob likes this.
  8. Capt.Bob

Capt.Bob

It is in puddle jumper mode now. Bluegills are just come'n on the beds here in Southern Mi. Don't need the big battery up front or a anchor over 10# and the Deck Hand is gone till I need boat control in the river again. so the Battery get's downsized and in the back for Johnson trolling motor, to match the main engine, how's that fer antique,,,, ;)

9. piketroller

piketroller

10. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

11. Capt.Bob

Capt.Bob

Thats ok, I really don't care for those seats. I don't want a catch n release boat look, or try and impress the girls,, I just want a seriously efficient fishing rigg that can get to the fish in them very backwoods areas where others don't go and don't want to have to worry about a little mud or a few scratches getting their! I could care less about being pretty about it or worrying about a little dirt or water!. It's all about function on this and my 12R Sea Nymph I built as the "METAL MISSFIT", it stays at my place at the lake.

I'll run the Johnson on my hunt'r fer gill hop'n. Bad picture but clean up like new both of em 83 vintage, and run like new. Would use the Minn Kota Endura with the Maximizer but don't need it for mobile fishing
    [​IMG]

But if I wanted a Wondertroll I would just throw it on have that too. Runs great and still in very good condition, but eats batteries! early 60's vintage from my Dad.
    [​IMG]

But since your want'n to do some bartering on some antiques,, how much you got to spend? I would for the right price part with my brand new, never used with the original box,,,, MANU * MOTOR, no batteries needed here, and a young guy like you should be able to run it all day long without a recharge,,,, with that huge prop it will move you around the lake quite well.

Just saying some of us old farts know what are antiques that are better left untouched, but we also know when some like the Ouachita are much more precious when they have the right touche's,,,, ;)
    [​IMG]

That old blue tub with manu motor and and my wonderspin and wonder rod both like new real with box and rod with hard storage tune and model number on all, or the wonder rod fly and wondermatic real would be classy to, just not as productive as the boat in hunter mode, and the custom Avid UL fast 6'3 and Legend Elite 6'LF, along with the Avid #4 with LA 3-4 Reddington and floating WF,, much less fatiguing, and more productive! Like a good friend once said,,,,, "a man's got to know his limitations" And this old fart knows what works best fer where I travel!

roger15055 likes this.
  12. roger15055

roger15055

As Paul Newman said in Cool Hand Luke- "Oh He Just Said Something". :p

13. Scout 2

Scout 2

I like your mods to the boat. The name of the game is make something fit you so you can use it. You did a very good job and should be very proud of your work

Capt.Bob likes this.