Another switchgrass question, sorry:

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by millbs, Feb 21, 2018.

1. millbs

millbs

Hey guys, another switchgrass question for ya. I wish I could say it will be the last but it’s doubtful. :)
    I broadcast about 7 pounds per acre on 3 of the flat acres that I have a few days ago. Then we got 3” of rain.
    Will it be ok or do you think it might have gotten washed away or washed together in clumps and I should broadcast some more?
    Thanks for all the help fellas!!

1124AD6B-7A3E-45DA-9E34-5C866A15981E.jpeg

2. limige

limige

I'm sorry I can't help with your situation but I do like packing with a cultipacker for this reason. The seed will settle in the troughs and have the appearance of being drilled. It won't tend to puddle up which I'm guessing is what you will see

Sent from my SM-G920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Wild Thing and millbs like this.

3. ckosal

ckosal Addicted2hunting4 Premium Member

I am waiting for mine for another 4 weeks. Late March. 3rd weekend likely.

millbs likes this.
  4. OSXer

OSXer

It might have puddled together, but I wouldn't broadcast anymore personally. Too dense of a stand is actually worse and IMO, your seeding rate is already high by 20-30%.

farmlegend, millbs and bigal06 like this.
  5. cakebaker

cakebaker

I'd say you're fine , looks like a level area and a decent amount of thatch.

millbs likes this.
  6. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

I have seen successful stands that were too dense by most standards. Lay down in it sometime, feels like a crunchy air mattress. They also like to bed on the backside of the dense areas, they use it as a windbreak.

Walt Donaldson, millbs and cakebaker like this.
  7. cakebaker

cakebaker

IMG_20180225_151429793_HDR.jpg
    Frostseeded spot that grew in somewhat wet area.

8. hunterrep

hunterrep

As other suggested, I would not reseed. So what if you have a few bare patches in your field. That isn't a terrible thing and can always be reseeded later. You don't want to get it too thick.
    If I was allowed by my CRP contract, I would spray some spots in my field and plant some trees or bushes (structure). Structure in the middle of a NWSG field is where you will find deer bedded.

Dish7 likes this.
  9. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

I am in agreement that a few bare areas are fine, but still of the idea that you can't make it too thick.

Maybe this, if it's a screen, a bedding area, etc., my thoughts are that thicker is better. If it's a CRP/switchgrass application that is dozens of acres, yes, plant at recommended rates.

hunterrep likes this.
  10. hunterrep

hunterrep

You could be right about being too thick not being a problem. I haven't experienced that myself. My thoughts are, it doesn't really need to be very thick at all. In fact, all it needs to do is be able to hide a deer from "their" viewpoint. It doesn't take much grass to do that and the thinner the stand, the easier it is to mover around in and bed next to the clumps of SG that hides them. Keep in mind how big a clump of grass will eventually be coming from that one tiny little seed. It really does not take much seed at all to provide adequate cover IMO.

Dish7, bigal06, sniper and 2 others like this.
  11. Jet08

Jet08

My CRP plan allows it and that's exactly what I am doing!!! :coolgleam

12. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

I agree, hunted a large CRP in Missouri with intermittent scrub trees and it had lots of deer.

13. sniper

sniper

I occasionally walk through my 36 acres of crep fields and will find a ton of beds butt up to russian an autum olives bushes that have started growing...

14. Dish7

Dish7

Right on the mark. The whole advantage of nwsg is that it grows in clumps and allows wildlife movement while still providing security. You're right, it doesn't take as much as you might think.

Wild Thing likes this.
  15. cakebaker

cakebaker

I love autumn olive.

TrailMarker likes this.