another perspective on cwd

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by dogwhistle, Oct 16, 2008.

1. e. fairbanks

e. fairbanks

There have been reports that DNR personnel were observed destroying mute swan nests and nesting birds in the UP ???
    Back when one of our prominent NRC members brought back venison from an elk he had shot in Wyoming that later proved to be from a CWD positive animal (two CO's were required to pick up the venison and take it to the lab in E. Lansing to be incinerated) demonstrating that the meat was hazardous and a definite threat to the health of our deer and elk herds here in Michigan. At that time our DNR's Dr. Steve Schmitt admitted that a number of other hunters had brought back CWD infected venison. (the CWD infective agent is found in the blood and muscle tissue of CWD positive animals) (since that year no word has leaked out on the hazardous venison being brought back by our hunters, and no one seems to have the guts to even comment on this situation including those who post on this forum declaring their great concern for "the health of our herd")
    The fact that our MDNR allows hunters who harvest deer and elk in states and provinces where CWD is present in the wild to bring back boned meat from those animals without the requirement that the meat come only from animals that have tested negative for CWD INDICATES THE DNR'S CONCERN FOR THE PROTECTION AND HEALTH OF OUR HERD FOR PRESENT AND FUTURE GENERATIONS.

2. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

Are you sure MDNR made those rules?

3. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

Old Rank,
    You said...
    "but it just seems like they are not making the right moves to battle this disease......and that is to ban captive deer farms."

Who is "they"? QDMA? MDNR? Do you know who can or cannot ban deer farms?

4. oldrank

oldrank

Um...The department of agriculture....."They' are whoever has that authority. The Dnr, our state government. I'm just a plastics extrusion guy and dont claim to be a biologist of any sort..........There is another good point made by e.fairbanks up there......Why are hunters allowed to bring back meat from other states without having it tested???? I dont wanna fall into the whole black helicopter group like I know you are thinking I am. I just want things done that make sence.......Banning baiting...Ok, I can see how in some spun up way could this could be a stepping stone in battling this disease but it is by far not the answer.....In hindsite the answer is to do all the other things that are not being done.......Examples.....Banning deer farms, not importing meat from other states into Michigan without it being test...the same with mounts or hides or any other part of the animal. Banning deer scents....Which in my eyes would far out way the danger of a bait pile. All of these scents come right from these farms.......and guess what???? that is where thay are always finding this disease........If my memory seves me right almost every state that has been infected has found CWD in a farm or suspected farms as the culprit from the classic spreading pattern of the disease.

5. dogwhistle

dogwhistle

i dont believe that it has been proven-yet that cwd has entered our wild herd. but, if and when it does, i doubt that we will be able to eradicate it. it doesnt sound like any other state has been able to do so.

however, "it's an ill wind". baiting has been banned in the lp. i'm sure it's a matter of time until the whole state is included.

and i see many calling for the banning of game farms. why limit it to just deer, why not birds as well? anytime you have concentrated populations of animals, including humans, it's a breeding ground for disease. feedlots, prisons, ships, etc. the practice of game farm killing is unethical and brings all hunting into disrepute and provides ammuniton for lawsuits.

unfortunatly we have obtained the mindset that hunting is judged on it's commercial worth; licenses sold, money spent on the economy of local areas and our beauracracy has followed that mindset. maybe this is a good time to reevaluate what we are doing and why. ethics should never be far from any discussion of hunting.

we've really brought this on ourselves. i think the discussion isnt what will we do about this situation, our options are very limited, but rather, what should we do to prevent such things in the future. a highly ethical strategy would go a long ways towards doing that.

6. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Are you sure about that?

You lost me here ... what does this have to do with CWD?

7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Maybe you are archaic. I have no idea. I am pretty sure I qualify. Go back and read those pages again. You had to know that miles squared was not what was being said. If you still can't see it, look for context clues. As I said, this is your mistake, not the person who wrote the report.

L & O

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

I am not sure that what I can imagine is all that relevant. I do find the wording in the plan interesting.

I have heard of resource professional using some of the following non-recreational methods of controlling wildlife populations at different points in time:

Poison, shooting from helicopters (New Zealand), shooting at night, shooting over bait, limiting habitat, sterilizing...

-na

9. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

The irony on this one is precious. :lol: Of course, we all know that baiting does not increase harvest numbers right. :dizzy:

10. Thor_77

Thor_77 Guest

Nowhere does it say that my container will be sanitized by you before you move it over your bait containing tubs , Opps there goes your VHS disease containment down the tubes.

These government directives are not always based on sound scientific evidence but their guesstimates , there are other trained professionals who have a different opinion of the current CWD procedures.