another perspective on cwd

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by dogwhistle, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ahoude23

ahoude23

"if you were the person in charge, and were asked on the stand "why didnt you ban baiting of deer when cwd was first discovered close to michigan?" what would you answer? "

I think the answer is that they do not know that baiting aids in transmission of CWD. It is only speculation.

2. Sargeyork

Sargeyork

I had to keep from puking when I read about "pens" and running deer thru chutes for testing, deer are not cattle. There is no such thing as a fair hunt with fences that keep deer in. All the game farms and breeding facilities relating to deer and the escape of pigs should be shut down NOW!!!:mad:

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Yeszir!

4. Thor_77

Thor_77 Guest

Wow , that's ace backwards. Because someones unproven theory lets screw over all of some type of businesses . A finger pointing witch hunt , just in time for Halloween.

May be we can shut down bars because of drunk driving.

Nut jobs with guns , yeah thats right , its the guns. Lets take them away.

The founding fathers of his country would be rolled over in their graves at the thought of a mass hysteria witch hunt.

5. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

Thor, are you a deer farmer?

Theory? Is it theory that deer farms pose a greater disease risk? Didn't New York also get CWD in a deer farm?
    Didn't lead paint, DDT and thalidomide get banned due to their risk/benefits?

Another deer farm in Wisconsin just tested postive this week.

Game farm deer had CWD
    Portage facility quarantined
    By LEE BERGQUIST
    [email protected]
    Posted: Oct. 10, 2008

A white-tailed deer kept at a game farm in Portage has tested positive for chronic wasting disease.

State Veterinarian Robert Ehlenfeldt said Friday that a 7 1/2 -year-old doe, killed on Sept. 20, had been infected with the fatal disease.

The animal was owned by Alligator Creek Whitetails near Junction City. State officials have quarantined the facility.

State regulations require that all farm-raised deer and elk 16 months or older must be tested after death. In this case, the deer had been “harvested,” according to the attending veterinarian, state officials said. But an exact cause of death was not immediately known.

An owner of the game farm would not comment Friday.

State officials were notified of the results on Thursday by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  6. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

The owner of the deer farm index facility in the New York CWD outbreak did taxidermy on the same premises and did work on carcasses of deer from a number of CWD infected states and that is probably how the disease was passed to his captive herd. My understanding is that the Kent Co. index facility also did taxidermy work on the premises. It seems to me that it just makes sense that deer farms should not be allowed to have taxidermy facilities on the same premises where live deer are present. It also makes a heck of a lot of sense that any state that has found CWD in free ranging herds, should be subject to a quarantine and neither meat or hides or racks should be allowed to leave those states unless the animal has been tested and found CWD free or the cape and rack have been tanned and mounted within the state and then only the finished mount is exported. Maybe this is just too logical a suggestion.

7. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

It also makes a heck of a lot of sense that any state that has found CWD in free ranging herds, should be subject to a quarantine and neither meat or hides or racks should be allowed to leave those states unless the animal has been tested and found CWD free or the cape and rack have been tanned and mounted within the state and then only the finished mount is exported. Maybe this is just too logical a suggestion.

Munster, with that statement you and I are in total and complete agreement.

8. swamphunter@msn.com

[email protected]

The Michigan survailance and responce plan that has been in place since 2002 calls for a 79 square mile zone be esstablished around the original cases and eradication will happen in that zone with testing of all eradicated animals. An additional 79 square mile will be established around each additional case that is found in the orriginal eradification zone and so on and so on and so on. you get the picture.

I recommend that you go to the MDNR site and look up the " Michigan survailence and responce plan for CWD in free ranging and PO/captive cervids" and read from page 10 on. Page 10 is the beginning of the responce part of the plan and we all know that we are now in the responce part of the plan.

9. Ninja

Ninja Guest

We are NOT in the response part of the plan for eradication in the 79 miles (squared) area, which is 6241 square miles according to the precise wording of the plan....the eradication in that area will only be triggered by the discovery of CWD in the FREE-RANGING herd.
    I reccomend that you go to the DNR sight and re-read from page 10 on.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  10. dogwhistle

dogwhistle

the 50 mile radius was taken from an editorial in the Mucc magazine.

but even 79 square miles is a large area over two townships. the area where i live is pretty rural, farms and homes on small acreages. the density of housing would preclude shooting safely in many areas.

and killing that many animals wholesale over even that large an area is going to produce a large public protest. and most likely a legal one. i dont think it's a viable plan.

11. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I don't think you have this quite right. The Surveillance and Response Plan calls for a 5 mile circle(79 sq. mi. ** Pi X radius squared or 3.14 X 25**) around the animal/deer farm. I don't see where it calls for eradication as you state, but it does call for the killing of 300 deer 18 months and older from that area for testing. That was done shortly after the CWD deer was discovered.
    If I have wrong, please point me to the page and paragraph where I have it wrong.
    L & O

12. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

You still don't appear to have read it. The eradication part of the plan does not refer to hunters shooting deer. It refers to the DNR killing the deer, by whatever means they deem most effective. It also refers to calling in the State Police if necessary to deal with any protests.

-na

13. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Can you tell me where you found the 6241 sq. mi. number ? I only find reference to the 5 mi. circle around the farm/deer which would be about 79 sq. mi. The 6241 number would be the area in about a 45 mile circle.

L & O

14. Ninja

Ninja Guest

That is why I put the word "precise" in my post.....the wording is apparrently wrong in the response plan.
    They are defining the 5 mile circle as being a 79-mile-squared area, which is quite different than 79 square miles. :dizzy:

15. Ninja

Ninja Guest

It states "whatever means they deem most effective..." in point (i) under subsection (e)....it does not exclude hunters as being part of these means.