close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Non-motorized boat registration bill

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by detroitjim, Apr 12, 2018.

1. detroitjim

detroitjim

They're trying to squeeze us paddlers again!!!!

Earlier this year, the commission unanimously passed resolution 10-2016-0, which, if passed by the legislature, would amend Michigan’s watercraft registration law so owners of kayaks, canoes and stand-up paddleboards would have to register their watercraft.

This quote from five years ago sums it up prefectly.
    Whats next inner tubes? Rubber duckies???

http://www.outdoornews.com/2018/03/22/paddlers-required-register-watercraft/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Tara, Aaronjeep2, mjh4 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tank.

Tank.

So everyone who plays on the water shares equally in the costs to play on it?

3. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

This has not passed nor will it ever. Several law makers already said it would not pass.

4. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

While owning 2 kayaks I can see a user fee.

For 1, I do use launch sites and take up parking spaces.

Secondly, the fee is so minute compared to other activities. Providing the fees are used for launch site improvements and not just absorbed into the "general fund"

5. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

Most launch site require either a sticker on your license plate or pay as you enter. Get the one on your plate at registration time and that covers your launching!

Will fly fisherman need to register their waders next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tara and detroitjim like this.
  6. whitetail&walleye

whitetail&walleye

I have a 8 foot plastic molded boat I use a couple times a year to chase smallies on the Chippewa. No problem registering it for a couple times of use a year. If some of the funds could go to leasing a couple small private land accesses I would be all for it. I've fished a large stretch of it for around 12 years and have seen many private spots shut down because of slobs. Plenty of places to slide in still like bridges and 2 county parks, but only 1 access is "user friendly" the other county park has a 20 foot hill 200 yards from the lot basically vertical and rocky. Unless you want to drag it 100 more yards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. detroitjim

detroitjim

I hope you are right!

8. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Once the paddlers are paying they'll start to demand something for their money. Might be small access sites that will only service canoes and kayaks. Might be more *no motor* lakes so they can paddle around without getting swamped by PWC and water skiers.

9. 357Maximum

357Maximum

So what? Some streams/river need a lot more small access sites. Some small lakes need more small access sites. If you have to go buy a cheap canoe/yak to use them spots, so what? It's not like they are actually keeping you out of them spots just by dictating what equipment you can use while there. Some folks love all the rules and regulations one can dream up. Sometimes if you wanna play in certain areas you have to follow certain rules, we have all been told numerous times that is no biggie right? Every small little special interest group is getting their own little special spots,,,it's the wave of the future. Sometime folks have to invest in new equipment to play in certain "special" areas, that's no big deal right?

10. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

I agree it's no big deal and would like to see more lakes be no motor. Some of the best ones I fish are no motor or NM C&R. Lots of big gills and bass. Not everyone feels the same way and I'm giving them a warning. A lot of the rich elitists in their boats that cost 10s of thousands will complain that they are being locked out of public water by not being allowed to fish the way they want to. Why should they have to spend money on a canoe just to fish those areas? How many people use yaks and canoes, anyway? You've heard all the arguments. Yes, they're dumb arguments that make no sense, glad you see right through them, doesn't stop the folks that only think with their emotions from getting all up in arms.

Attached Files:

11. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Exactly, and those that cannot afford or simply will not buy a canoe/kayak, special gear etc, will go elsewhere or just stay home/not buy a license... which leads to the best part, there is no crowds and I get to have my little sanctuary almost all to myself. Now if they would only outlaw the barbarism known as trolling, I would need a moment alone with my thoughts. Only googans troll for fish real fisherman catch their fish by casting not trolling.

12. Dish7

Dish7

Your a completely different person in this thread. I feel like I don't know you anymore lol....just jerking your chain :D

Swampdog467 and 357Maximum like this.
  13. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

As long as those little lakes are gear restricted I’m cool with it! :lol:

357Maximum likes this.
  14. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Along with a 4 lb test maximum, no kill, barbless hooks, and only allowed to be fished every third Wednesday , that will help so much with fisherman retention I cannot believe anyone would be against it. This state needs more restrictions, they are scientifically proven to recruit fisherman right out of and away from the ranks of PETA ya know.

Shoeman likes this.
  15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Will bicycles, walkers, bird watchers and mushroom pickers be next?