Another Neighbor Rant...sorry

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by walleyerick, Oct 31, 2016.

1. walleyerick

walleyerick

I hunt in Leelanau Co. and have had pretty decent success. When I first started hunting up here, I was pretty much one of the only bow hunters in the area, most guys are gun hunters. There is a chunk of property that the neighbors own, one of the largest in the area, (260 acres) and no one hunted it, it was like a preserve. The owner allowed any one whose property touched it permission to set up on the their respected lines and out to 500 yds into his property. Which most abided by. Fast forward, his health has severely deteriorated and his grown sons about 3 years ago decided to start and learn how to hunt at basically retirement age themselves. They have no clue.....lol. They do not bow hunt and have let everyone know that they are reclaiming their land, which is their right. The first year they decided to start hunting they kept going out well after daylight with their quads and spooking everything in the area. They following year, I mentioned to them to please get out a little earlier as I and some of the other neighbors would appreciate it. They found out where my blind was, which is about a 150 yds. plus off the line in the middle of a good swamp. They put up enough orange surveyors tape along that fence line blowing in 15-20 foot ribbons blowing in the wind to just make you shake your head. Then last year they started driving around the property lines usually around 630 every night during bow season and that has continued this year as well. Hell, last year, on October 8th and 9th, at 515, prime rut, perfect weather etc... they drive out and start leaf blowing their trails for only about 20 minutes til it got dark. Then they also love to shoot guns, at all hours of the day, especially just before they get into their quads to drive around the property. They shoot more rounds on a weekend then you will hear at any gun range. They even have something that sounds like a cannon, the ground shakes, I had a four point in when that thing went off Saturday night and if that deer could of dug a fox hole, he would have, that deer laid as flat to the ground as he could. I have talked to a lot of the other neighbors and that all are saying the same thing. Since the "kids" have taken over, we still see deer, but not like we used to and the hunting is not as enjoyable as it once was, I realize things change, but CMON MAN. I know some will say its their property and they can do what they want or move and find new property ect.... I say be glad its not you and if you have these neighbor issues then I feel for ya!!

2. Bomba

Bomba

wondering what area you are hunting that the "prime rut is Oct. 8-9"......?? Cuz I need to start hunting that area..

3. gunfun13

gunfun13

Canton/Lake Bellaire/Jackson Co Property Owner
    I have neighbors like that. Personally, I love sloppy hunters. Having quality habitat and good hunting practices surrounded by average habitat and poor hunting practices is a great recipe for success.

4. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Neighbors are the worst thing when it comes to owning property.

twolaketown likes this.
  5. miruss

miruss

Your right
    "
    I think he's lucky what they are doing is all they are doing !! If some one tried to tell me how to hunt MY property he would be in for a hell of a surprise !!

buckmasterflex and 357Maximum like this.
  6. triplelunger

triplelunger

Sounds like you had it pretty damn good for a long time... stop complaining...

Burksee, mbrewer and buckmasterflex like this.
  7. Phoolish

Phoolish

all they are doing is pushing the deer off their property on to the neighbors (yours). improve your habitat and more deer will come to yours

8. walleyerick

walleyerick

They actually did help last year, as they drove out around 200 in the afternoon on opening day, they pushed a nice ten point over the hill.

9. walleyerick

walleyerick

Over the years, the peak of the chase phase seems to center right around the 8th of November for us, by gun season they really seem to go into lock down, you still see them by not usually hot on a trail of a doe.

10. Bomba

Bomba

OOOOH. you meant Nov. got ya.. you typed October.
    makes sense now.

11. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

The usual suspects. :lol::lol::lol:

12. walleyerick

walleyerick

The issue is they are alienating all of their neighbors, we all talk and everyone has issues with these guys. I think that biggest gripe is the shooting, it can be constant non-stop sometimes. However, it seems to be worse in the fall. Money is no object to these guys as they are loaded, I cannot fathom the amount of money the spend on ammo.

13. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Sounds like they are enjoying their property. Just try to enjoy yours

357Maximum and RMH like this.
  14. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Are you sure they are hunters they may just be trying to stop people from killing deer .I hear of this occasionally .

15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

I am not so sure that, after a while, the shooting will bother the deer. I used to hunt at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland and on Ft. Meade, MD.

The deer there were not even phased by the sound of gunfire, even less by the sound of a shotgun being fired at them. They were used to artillery and tank fire. Loud noises, like A1M1 tanks roaring by did not even get their attention.

The point being that deer get used to certain noises and they become part of their normal environment. Ask them to shoot more, and bigger, guns.