Another mid river jig try 9/6

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by 50incher, Sep 6, 2020.

1. 50incher

50incher

We started right on Ont. border & zip....went to the new to us Perch spot from yesterday, (it looks great on the graph) and jigged deeper to learn the area & bottom and got 3 Walleye....only problem is biggest was 12" lol !....actually had 2 on same time, made 2 pass's then hit 2 more spots with nothing....

Went back to the Perch spot and got 2 MA Sheapshead, lol and like 4 dinky Perch, did get one small Smallie at other spots too, just still rough stuff....buddy pulled wire for 3 hours and zip....we are catching more small Walleye than I ever recall, not a bad thing just confusing, lol....

Water temp was barely 71` and wind let up nice, short trip....should add that we're getting more big Sheapshead than I recall too for a summer and no Musky....did see a nice Kingfisher and a couple Black ducks....beginning to think bringing ice is a jinx for us, lol....got the Walleye at @ 18'....

DSCN0218.JPG ....cheers....

Out-N-About, chemo13, marty59 and 6 others like this.
  2. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

At least you are fishing! My boat hasn't seen water for awhile! Let alone catch a fish!

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

You ARE retired, right?!

sparky18181, 50incher and milanmark like this.
  4. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Yes I am! And lovin it! Means I only go when I really want to and the weather is good and the creek ain't risin'.... etc etc! And more importantly I ain't going perch fishing unless Painterman and the Roofer are catching them! If they ain't catching them nobody can! (I'd sing it but I don't sing very well!).

bellkey, Lake Boy and sureshot006 like this.
  5. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Thats okay, I've been listening to singing all day. "Rock on mom and dad, rock on mom and dad..." over and over and over... wouldn't change a thing :)

milanmark likes this.
  6. captnick

captnick

I talked to the guys that run the Wyandotte ramp and they said that the walleyes are starting up again. That a couple of eyes been coming in.

HRCHLab and 48180 Hunter like this.
  7. 48180 Hunter

48180 Hunter

About 3-4 Summers back. If U jigged right N front of the DTE plant between Bellanger & the Rouge Mouth U would catch tons of 12-14" Walleye all Summer. We was doing pretty good all Summer @ that 50' Hole @ the Rouge getting plenty of Keepers but when U got down N front of DTE it was Dink City..

wingster51 likes this.
  8. And you forgot he doesn’t get up early either

9. Slimshady

Slimshady

Me and a buddy jigged the upper yesterday morning in 20-25 mph gusts. It is crazy to think that picture you posted was the same day. We only found one walleye, 2 small SMB and about 45 giant sheep. The big sheep are typical for this time of the year, as we get them around this time of the year all the time. However, normally, when we find the big sheep, there are usually some walleyes mixed in. You might get 4 or 5 sheep for every walleye, but yesterday it was 45. My wrist is still sore from battling those things all morning. Fun fishing though. Lots of action.

10. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

I have to start "practicing" getting up though... first week of bow season when the bachelor groups are still together I have one stand that can produce but you better be there before first light or you are wasting your time! I shot my biggest deer ever with a bow there a few years back a very nice 8 pt! Easy to get up early with possibilities like that!

11. DETackle

DETackle Premium Member Sponsor

It should be starting soon, can’t wait for October. Fishing should pick up greatly and the river will be a virtual ghost town with everyone in the woods.

Logburner1 and milanmark like this.
  12. chromesnagger

chromesnagger

Care to share your sheep spot? I'm not interested in catching walleye and will let you know if I do. PM me if you prefer.

13. Slimshady

Slimshady

We fished all over the upper from LSC to mid Belle Isle, all US waters. Caught Sheep everywhere.

chromesnagger and sureshot006 like this.
  14. chromesnagger

chromesnagger

Appreciate it!

Freezer still packed with walter so im just looking for a fight. Might bring out the ice rod lol.

12riverfish and WormSoaker like this.
  15. Slimshady

Slimshady

BTW, early in the morning we did better in the cleanest water we could find and as the sun got higher, we did better in the stained water. We were searching for walleyes, but just found sheep. They are fun to fight though. A couple fought so hard we thought they were muskies.