Another mid Perch try....

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by 50incher, Sep 13, 2020.

1. 50incher

50incher

Wasn't gonna post but what the hell, it was short & sweet, not, lol....minnows were better but still a mix, will say the Emerald's we did have did far better but caught fish on both....late start, 7:30....brother had to go home, forgot the depth sounder, then we get out & perfect anchor 1st try and I forgot fishing poles ! so back to dock !....

Only tried 2 spots but did re anchor a couple times, 1st deep at 18'-20' & small Smallies & Sheap....moved to a new MI. spot ;) and never re anchored....dropped in 19' with only one anchor and will never do that again, west wind & current had us swinging from 15' to 19'....caught at least 60 and kept 9, yeah again, biggest 10" & 2 that swallowed hook at 7.5"....most came from 15'-16' and too tired/lazy to care about re anchoring again, lol....

Floating weeds and dying ones under the surface were a huge problem too....got a dbl header of Silver Bass and 3 more & 1/2 doz Smallies all under 15"....saw 2 groups of diving Sea Gulls and huge rafts of Cormorants....WT was 68` and vis @ 3' maybe....packed it in before 11 am....

Perch are in the river for sure....Covid, no auto "change over", off the chart work OT and no Ont. water fishing makes 2020 one for the books, my average all summer is 3 hours fishing a week !!!....did see a 1/2 doz. butterflies and coming into dock a fat little Muskrat sitting on a dock eating all the weeds washed on top, lol....peace to all....cheers....

2. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Now how do you forget fishing poles? LOL
    Must be outta practice fishing! I can relate!

Shoeman and 50incher like this.

3. 50incher

50incher

Well, lol....they were leaning against my truck door....side note, I'm fishing after work & tired....and this is the 2nd time but there has been a very nice slightly older lady, very well dressed, not a homeless person....I thought she likes to walk down and watch the sunrise ? dunno....

And she's very friendly but also VERY talkative when she see's me or us and I'm always in a hurry trying to load boat etc....and I try to be polite back, but it is a little distracting, lol....both times after conversing she has given me a "blessing/prayer" very nice actually for a safe voyage and calm seas, etc and good fishing as well....so I have to thank her, but again it does distract me, lol....

Today we were really running late too, so that's my excuse....good stuff to me, lol....just glad nobody drove down & snatched my 3 Perch poles ! :D....

milanmark, DougM and sureshot006 like this.
  4. djohn

djohn

Good story . Life is good. Enjoy your posts.

50incher likes this.
  5. BOEDY

BOEDY

Forgetting the poles no big deal, just dont start forgetting the boat :lol:

TK81, 50incher and sureshot006 like this.
  6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Would have to be a real good looker to forget my rods LOL!

50incher likes this.
  7. 50incher

50incher

Not going there....sticking to fishing :D....will say, we are and have been struggling to find nice Perch for some time/years in the river, nothing but ??'s....and think it might become something we explore more this fall as opposed to Musky fishing, since no Ont. water....

A lot of small Walleye, a lot of small Perch ??!!....I can't figure it out, not just me as I'm getting little time on the water mind you....where are all the bigger sized fish ?....seriously lol....

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Maybe the bigger fish are after different prey, and thus in a different location. Who knows...

9. 50incher

50incher

All I can say is I have spent the majority of my time in Canadian water, as our whole family has and I know we missed a lot for MI water, but it's the same body of water, lol....I just love the scenery more over there ! in part :rolleyes:....

The problem I "feel" is all the retired guys I know who are getting lots of time on the water and still have all the same ??'s we talk about, I'm talking about experienced fisherman....

Anyhoo it's interesting stuff....when we Perch fished that "deeper" water, that current is just blasting....:dizzy:....having time to explore would be interesting stuff....cheers....

milanmark and sureshot006 like this.