Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Another landmark lost in Wellston

144K views 924 replies 142 participants last post by  Night Moves 
#1 ·
Things were looking up a year and a half ago when I posted the re-opening of the Lumberjack Lodge and restaurant on Seaman rd.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3590711&postcount=1
An update on that one is that it's up for sale again.

Last year the Deer Horn closed due to the passing of one of the principals...litigation is tying up any reopening.

Then it was the Trout Scout smokehouse that closed.

Now the Wellston Hardware/Gas station on the corner of Seaman and M55 has closed.
No more hot breakfast sandwiches before the trip...:sad:

I hope it reopens, lots of those obscure plumbing and electrical parts in back cannot be found at the big box stores.

Now the only place for real 100% gas is pump#3 at the Mini-Mart in Brethren.
$4.29 this afternoon.

On the positive side, The Stockade down by Pine Creek will be opening again soon, however there is no liquor license.

See less See more
#52 ·
Use to rent the loft, walk down for breakfast, could always smell the wood burning from the fireplace on the walk down the stairs. Actually I would be outside working on sleds, while the family had breakfast. Stomachs were full until we hit Irons for lunch, oh the memories.

#53 ·
It was/is reopened but currently up for sale again.
Wellston Inn seems to be doing well, Just had a helluva home made corned beef hash breakfast this morning.
Poached eggs as big as baseballs.

Kozy is well also, giant stuffed hash browns is the ticket there.

Stockade has an "Opening Soon, wet burrito's" sign out front.
Me and the Boys were up for the weekend Jim got his buck, we still have tomorrow, but we can't seem to spend much time in the woods because we have been eating every meal at the newly re-opened Stockade Restaurant. The Wet Burrito's are better than I remember and I can promise you the Burgers will blow your mind, they don't have or serve alcohol but they were nice enough to let us bring our own in so we actually saved $$$. We have eaten there 4 times in 2 days. I have to say the Fried Chicken is the best I have ever had. They did remodel but they left the old wood interior and bar intact, very nicely done! Great people working there anyone know who owns it now?

#55 ·
So the Vagabond / Lumberjack, the Wellston Inn, and the Stockade are all open? Anyone know how long it has been since they have all been open at the same time?

Gonna have to get up there and practice a little redistribution.
Yup, all open for now.
It's a wash however with the loss last year of the Trout Scout smokehouse, the Deer Horn Inn and Wellston hardware.

Good custom sausage makers are hard to find around here, as are fire brick oven pizza, all you can eat buffets and antique plumbing parts.

#56 ·
Hey just to give everyone an update we hope to have the Deer Horn back up and running or sold to new owners within the next 6 months. We are just finalizing the paper work to take the bar back, we owned it in the 90's, and will be putting the bar back up for sale for the remainder of the original sale price.

#57 ·
Hey just to give everyone an update we hope to have the Deer Horn back up and running or sold to new owners within the next 6 months. We are just finalizing the paper work to take the bar back, we owned it in the 90's, and will be putting the bar back up for sale for the remainder of the original sale price.
I have not been there in years. Any idea what kind of shape the place is in? Wow, now we will have the Deer Horn too. Hope the Wellston Hardware reopens. Miss those meaty monster breakfast sandwiches they had, you could get one in the morning, fish half the day, and them thick sandwiches would still be warm.

#59 · (Edited)
Wellston hardware is empty...Auctioned off everything 2 weeks ago.
The ready made big breakfast sandwiches are now a memory only unless you make 'em yourself or bring some with you from Mickey D or Burger King..

Walmart has similar sausage patties in the frozen section, 28oz lb bag. $5.98.
Or the big 10# boxes from Gordons.
The precooked bacon in the box works too.

I've been putting my sandwiches together at night then nuke them on the way out the door in the morning.

Caught me typing too slow Steve... :eek:)
BTW, baptised that new gin pole yet?

#61 ·
I was talking to Paul Transue the new owner of Schmidt Outfitters a couple days ago. He thinks someone will buy the old hardware and turn it into a gas/convenience store. Some guys were taking out the gas pumps while I was there. Lots of changes around Wellston.
Jim

#62 ·
Wellston hardware is empty...Auctioned off everything 2 weeks ago.
The ready made big breakfast sandwiches are now a memory only unless you make 'em yourself or bring some with you from Mickey D or Burger King..

Walmart has similar sausage patties in the frozen section, 28oz lb bag. $5.98.
Or the big 10# boxes from Gordons.
The precooked bacon in the box works too.

I've been putting my sandwiches together at night then nuke them on the way out the door in the morning.

Caught me typing too slow Steve... :eek:)
BTW, baptised that new gin pole yet?
Thanks for the Tip!!!!

#64 ·
I was talking to Paul Transue the new owner of Schmidt Outfitters a couple days ago. He thinks someone will buy the old hardware and turn it into a gas/convenience store. Some guys were taking out the gas pumps while I was there. Lots of changes around Wellston.
Jim
Is Paul part owner or is Ray done with the shop??

#66 ·
Well here we go again.
"Granny's" little restaurant/ice cream parlor next to Dublin General store is closed.
Sign says health reasons.

That leaves Wellston Inn, Lumberjack and Kozy Kitchen for breakfasts in town.

The Stockade down by Pine Creek is open at 11:00am for lunch, then dinner.

On a side note, some dishes I recommend:
Kozy's stuffed hash browns, ham, mushrooms, cheese, peppers/onions...
Wellston Inn's Home made corned beef hash with an egg, grilled Cinnamon roll.
Stockade has a Chopped Delmonico Philly steak on fresh baked roll that's hard to beat, also a double Wellston Burger on it's own fresh bun.

Another note:
Kozy's owner received a stack of public notices for employees and public from the State. You know, the mandatory stuff as part of your license..
Among the stack was a "No guns allowed" sign that she stuck up with the rest.

I told her 3 weeks ago when I first saw it, that it was not mandatory like the rest, she needn't have it and then went into the reasoning about CC holders and FBI checks, training...what about bad guy's not conforming and a good guy just might be a benefit someday...etc, the whole spiel.

This morning I asked where the sign was, :D.
She says she got quite a few complaints these past weeks but when one fella asked if there was another restaurant nearby, and told her his reason, she tore the sign up then and there.

So I guess it works, complain about the no CPL signs and state your reason and it just could work.

I'll post that part on the CPL forum, good message to spread.

#71 ·
Well here we go again.
"Granny's" little restaurant/ice cream parlor next to Dublin General store is closed.
Sign says health reasons.

That leaves Wellston Inn, Lumberjack and Kozy Kitchen for breakfasts in town.

The Stockade down by Pine Creek is open at 11:00am for lunch, then dinner.

On a side note, some dishes I recommend:
Kozy's stuffed hash browns, ham, mushrooms, cheese, peppers/onions...
Wellston Inn's Home made corned beef hash with an egg, grilled Cinnamon roll.
Stockade has a Chopped Delmonico Philly steak on fresh baked roll that's hard to beat, also a double Wellston Burger on it's own fresh bun.

Another note:
Kozy's owner received a stack of public notices for employees and public from the State. You know, the mandatory stuff as part of your license..
Among the stack was a "No guns allowed" sign that she stuck up with the rest.

I told her 3 weeks ago when I first saw it, that it was not mandatory like the rest, she needn't have it and then went into the reasoning about CC holders and FBI checks, training...what about bad guy's not conforming and a good guy just might be a benefit someday...etc, the whole spiel.

This morning I asked where the sign was, :D.
She says she got quite a few complaints these past weeks but when one fella asked if there was another restaurant nearby, and told her his reason, she tore the sign up then and there.

So I guess it works, complain about the no CPL signs and state your reason and it just could work.

I'll post that part on the CPL forum, good message to spread.
That's awesome. I would pass up a place that had a sign like that. The Glock goes everywhere with me

#73 ·
One more thing... I was not a jerk about it, they welcomed me to stay. My son and I where very calm, cordial and polite about the whole situation. I made an extra effort to be polite and come off as rational and really put a positive light in cpl holders. Tipped 50% and went on our way. So glad this was the end result. I explained the whole situation to my 11 year old as it was unfolding. I told him it would not do any good to be mad about it and that we should try to represent fellow cpl holders in a positive manner and make a good impression. I'm so glad this was the outcome.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#74 · (Edited)
Well, the businesses that closed up in Wellston are sorely missed but the only thing to do is look forward and support those that remain as best as possible. We're in the process of buying our retirement home up there and can't wait to do just that - support the local businesses, and say good-bye for good to Washtenaw County and yuppies. :evilsmile

By the way, the last time we were up there we saw that sign at Kozy. Some little kids who were with their folks also saw it and pestered their folks about it for quite a while. When they left they were still pointing at it. LOL Glad it's down now.

#76 ·
Well we lost another one today Garlets corner restaurant burned down overnight.Pretty sad ,Both of my sons worked there. It had a long history in the area and will be missed.
I was bummed to hear this on the news this morning. My buddies and I would always do winter time bow deer drives on all the federal land around that area in the winter. We'd always stop there for grub every Saturday and Sunday after driving. :(