Another fenced in positive

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Whitetail Freak, Mar 29, 2019.

1. buckguts1970

buckguts1970

Yes sir very proud of our herd here in montcalm co. The good news is there is a abundance of state land for you to come and help thin them out. Come getcha some!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Waif and Hillsdales Most Wanted like this.
  2. Waif

Waif

Not very proud to hunt a herd that is a third of what it was three years ago.
    Not much success to crow about there.
    Would rather have no C.W.D. and a growing herd instead of keeping deer numbers reduced but that's not the states plans option.
    Do enjoy my hunting though. Stubborn that way maybe.

As long as you see more deer where you manage property than I do mine , I don't think you need to squawk too/as much.
    When your turn comes , I'll hold you liable for any deer seen in your county too.

Have not seen a deer in a while. Winter hits today on an hour drive N.W. and back yes.
    Zero live deer.
    Not even a live one spotted in their normal haunts around here.

Anyways I'll ask again , , what are those disease tags getting used on?

buckguts1970 likes this.

3. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

I won't speak for Luv, but I traveled M-46 mid-day yesterday across the entire length of the county and I was blown away by how many deer were out in the fields for that time of day. One field in particular (south side of 46 between Amble and Lakeview) had probably 20-25 deer in it. Yeah, I get it - it's spring and they're congregated in the areas of nice green food, but it was still surprising given the time of day. And I lost count on road kill, but it was significant. Bottom line - there is NO shortage of deer in Montcalm county.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

A third? LOL! Every time I read your posts proclaiming a shortage of deer in Montcalm county I SMDH. Leave your house right now and take 131 to exit 120 and go east. I'll bet you a dollar you'll see a live deer before you get to Lakeview - and that's at 4:00 in the afternoon. Wait until 8:00 this evening and make the same drive and I'll bet you won't make it to Amble without seeing one. Keep driving east and counting deer and you'll run out of fingers and toes for you and your occupants before you get to six lakes. I really don't know what to say to someone that claims to not be able to find deer in Montcalm county. I hunt 4 different private properties in the county and semi-regularly hunt 2-3 different public spots and every single one has plenty of deer (even the public lands and even the private parcel in the pan handle). I would quantify almost every spot I hunt east of Federal road to still be over-populated and even a few spots I would say are still grossly overpopulated. It is of no surprise to me that we are having to deal with disease issues in Montcalm. Hunters have been unable to get numbers under control so ma nature is left to deal with it.

5. Waif

Waif

You'll see deer in Lakeview. Edmore. Stanton. Along with plenty of private land. Fertile soil. And lands reserved for hunting deer.
    And you'll see police regular too.
    Try cruising 66 regular at night for more than just deer numbers , but rather look for quality deer. Then ask why they exist there.

A couple dozen deer in a early greening choice field in an ag. area does not equate to representing deer numbers across all of Montcalm county.

What numbers did you see in the rest of the entire county?

6. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

My trip across 46 took me lengthwise through 6 different townships. Obviously not the entire county, but not an insignificant portion.

As an aside, I toured a friend's new property along the north county line in Richland township, and it contained an incredible amount of deer sign. We spoke to one of his new neighbors on our way out and he pointed out the field across the street and let us know that a group of 30-40 deer is current coming out into that field every evening. He also, surprisingly, said himself and all the neighbors have a gentlemen's agreement strictly prohibiting shooting does. LOL

7. Waif

Waif

A nice stretch through there.
    Also a lot of gas company land by the road commission outfit on the North side just East of H.C. Heights.
    All that land that hunters are no longer allowed to hunt equals a refuge. A good one at that.

Lakeview has had deer running around the village in daylight in the past.
    Have not noticed any appreciable numbers around Amble , but wouldn't knock on doors there if I did.
    East of Lakeview you might still see former deep runs up and down the hills along the road from when there were a lot of deer.

My last couple runs to Stanton I was not trying to count deer , but more were near Stanton of the few seen.

Go West when you hit 120 next time.
    Drop South where it ends and poke around Reynolds township where I've long claimed few deer.
    If you dig into it's history you might be surprised at the kill numbers of the past. Including the illegal ones that kept numbers down even before doe tags were liberated.

But don't stop there. Run North from there and count.
    Or any direction you have not counted yet.
    When you find a field with appreciable numbers ,check the area around it for a mile or so and count. Don't just figure on rich field represents an entire county.
    We already have numbers of deer per square mile figured as inaccurately.

8. Waif

Waif

I've seldom noticed Richland. Besides business at the county seat , Edmore is getting out of my wheelhouse.
    Have hunted in Riverdale before.
    A particular mile or two stretch on the way to Edmore has long (decades) had my attention.
    A former co-worker lived there and added info beyond what I spotted.

What goes on there is far removed from my area. I don't impact it or discuss management with landowners there personally to know whats going on.
    If I ain't huntin it , why should I?

9. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

Funny, I just got done disking up my food plot on a property about a mile east of Newcosta between the Tamarack and the Little Muskegon. I'm decently aware of the deer scene there. Yes, that area seen a drastic reduction in deer numbers 10-15 years ago but in my opinion has remained relatively stable over the past 5-10 years. But a lowered population doesn't mean a deer desert. I haven't shot a deer there in many years because we don't shoot does there and it's been a long time since I've seen a 3.5yr or older buck there. However, my neighbors all around me are killing yearling bucks and a handful of 2.5yr bucks every year. The habit in that area just isn't going to support the same amount of deer as in the farm lands and wetlands in most of the rest of the county.

Because you proclaim that the county as a whole is devoid of deer?

jr28schalm likes this.
  10. Waif

Waif

A third is the results of counts where I hunt.
    The adjacent properties and those in the area.
    Were I the only one counting ,you might have a better argument.

If you or Luv don't agree , that's just hard cheese. (!)
    I already know Luv does not do what he would have others do.

Let me look for where you hunt and find a complaint...

11. Waif

Waif

I ain't proclaiming the entire county is a deer desert.
    I'm stating parts of it have few deer. Few enough that folks don't need to deride hunters for not killing more doe simply because they see deer in a field or fields.

When you going to invite me for a tour? That's only several miles from me. And not far from state land that went from good , to ridiculously not worth hunting.

Who owns the Richland 70?

12. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

I mostly agree with you, but Montcalm as a whole is abundant with whitetails. The small sliver of Montcalm west of 131 is a different story but is not at all representative of the rest of the county.

Not much worth seeing on that Reynolds property. It's less than 20 acres and an immediate family member lives on the property (actually an adjacent parcel). My shooting range, a cool small little creek, and a cute little cabin are more exciting than any deer features. I do have a food plot there but it's like 1.5 acres of rye broadcast into beach sand soil. Not really exciting.

Not sure what you mean by Richland 70. The Richland property I was at yesterday is 40 acres and owned by a close friend (although I will be hunting there!). I do own 70 acres further away in Richland and own it with 1 other person. It is strictly a deer property and intensely managed. It's a freaking deer mecca! Multiple 3.5+ bucks taken most years. I will gladly give you a tour of that one.

jr28schalm and Waif like this.
  13. Waif

Waif

Paul Harris (?) had a lil cabin off county line. Met him at a blessing of the bikes and hooked him up later with a previous years patch he wanted. He probably is no longer around.
    It's changed hands since.

Looked at a cabin above the lil Musk bank with tons of oaks looking to drop on it before I bought this shack.
    Cute one too and looked like something out of the fifties.

Tour my hunting land when you are in the area and have time. Probably a shorter tour than your Reynold's.
    I'm now out of Reynolds...And another world to me for hunting.

The Reynolds area we can discuss off public forums sometime , but depending on exactly where it is , there are certain properties that factor highly in deer numbers/hunter pressure around certain spots...
    One very large one I used to hunt might make you giggle to tour. Though off limits today.
    Despite the soil it is quite special.
    Another area near it just doesn't allow hunting.

Being near such areas almost ensures seeing deer expand out of them or roam back and forth eventually as a result.
    Having the existing winter habitat where deer (turkey too) can get below the wind at least ensures better survival when the rare severe winter occurs.

14. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

Good talk Waif. I agree we can move this to PMs from here, although I have one last point for the open forum. Honestly the habitat in the area of Reynolds we are talking about is pretty terrible for deer. Large, unbroken tracts of canopied hardwoods consisting mostly of white pine, maple, mature poplar, and some oak. I've made the point several times in the past (as has Bob "pinefarm" Fisher RIP) that small to moderate population drops in poor habitat areas can seem severe to many hunters/landowners there. The deer are going to congregate on the small better habitat areas and completely vacate much of the rest. There is is lot of knowledge on the interwebs these days regarding habitat management, and landowners in poor habitat areas can make relatively small improvements and drastically change the perception of deer population in the neighborhood. I'll leave it at that...

Sparky23 and jr28schalm like this.
  15. jatc

jatc

Well if the most you saw in any given field on that stretch of road this time of year is 25, then my guess is those hunting those sections have knocked the population down by about fifty percent in the last five years.

And yes, I am being dead serious. My farm is just south of Lakeview and I estimate around 40% - 50% reduction of deer around my area in the same time frame. Yup, still a lot of deer around, but considering that means we have lowered the deer density from 60 dpsm to around 30 dpsm in the last five years, the guys that don’t actually live or hunt in the area that are constantly throwing stones at those of us that do can go pound sand.