Another fenced in positive

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Whitetail Freak, Mar 29, 2019.

1. mbrewer

mbrewer

Friends in parentheses, oh my.

2. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Those are called quotation marks.

True story.

3. mbrewer

mbrewer

You got me there.

4. eye-sore

eye-sore

I have to wonder if keeping deer captive in a small enclosure actually causes cwd. Many animal species that are not genetically equipped to be in captivity
    will either die or mutate genes to try and adapt to the non natural environment.

5. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Interesting theory but they should all be put out of business just to be safe.

Sparky23 and Groundsize like this.
  6. eye-sore

eye-sore

I totally agree. Im sure ill catch grief for this comment but its true, if people let the little ones go and michigan went to 1 buck tag there would be no need for another deer farm ever again

sniper and jr28schalm like this.
  7. Groundsize

Groundsize

I've come to the conclusion that nothing here matters. No way will any DNR or States biologists discover what actually causes CWD from one animal over another. No company is doing large scale testing, clinical testing, clinical study which costs billions for any cure or medicine. Also that CWD is unstoppable and that it also is non transferable to humans. What a waste of time and money. Fire up the smoker and make jerky. This is all overblown.

8. motdean

motdean

Nah, you won't catch grief for your comment, but, I'd sure like to see your data since you are convinced that it is true.

Have the deer farmers in states like Pennsylvania (which have APR's) gone out of business?
    http://www.shepstone.net/MichiganDeer.pdf

upload_2019-4-19_6-40-55.png

I am not defending deer farms, but wonder what drew you to the conclusion that if people stopped shooting the little ones, that there would no longer be a need for deer farms.

Liver and Onions likes this.
  9. eye-sore

eye-sore

Simply being an optimist. If people had a good chance of a quality deer in the wild they prob wouldnt be so quick to pay 1000s of dollars to shoot someones pet. Ranches are for people that cant hunt otherwise.notice iowa and kansas have way fewer

10. motdean

motdean

...but didja notice Texas? :)

I just don't see the correlation.

11. eye-sore

eye-sore

Iowa and kansas have great hunting with fewer farms. Texas too but once again a lot of guys are simply "buying" deer there not actually hunting for them. I have no respect for fence hunters.the climate allows for better antler growth so naturally they will have many farms. My point is a guy that cant really afford it but goes anyway is less likely too if he thinks he can get one on his own in the wild. I realize there will always be people with more money than brains or time, so no they prob arent going anywhere anytime soon

jr28schalm and sniper like this.
  12. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Curious if you realize that Texas is ~4-5 times the size of Michigan in land mass, but Michigan has ~400% more public hunting land than Texas? Think that might make just a bit of difference?

DirtySteve, Dish7 and jr28schalm like this.
  13. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

i don't see more does killed because of more tags ether

Dish7 and otcarcher like this.
  14. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

I get your point, but not all situations are like that. Texas was brought up as an example, so I'll touch on that quickly.

Ranch sizes in Texas can be massive. These aren't someone's pets, and for the most part the fences don't keep deer in or out. Many of these ranches charge an annual fee to be a member, which gives members hunting rights to the ranch. Some are cheap, as little as $500 per year, and some are far more expensive. Many also have harvest rules and guidelines to follow. You aren't just picking someone's pet.

A friend of mine is a member at a few. Costs him about $1250 per year, and he hunts multiple times. These two ranches comprise 10's of thousands of acres in Texas. His last visit cost him an additional $500 and he killed 2 whitetail, and a goat. Very similar situation to hunting leases across the country.

15. Dish7

Dish7

Probably getting a little off track here, but paying $1250 to watch a pile of corn dumped on a sendaro in Texas...no thanks. Now Ill, Iowa, Kansas...I'm in lol.

buckguts1970 and jr28schalm like this.