Another fenced in positive

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Whitetail Freak, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I tried to find a list of Michigan deer farmers or breeders in order to see how many possible locations in Montcalm Co. No success. Tried the DNR site and Google. If anyone knows how to locate such a list, please post.
    Thanks in advance,
    L & O

3. Sparky23

Sparky23

I'd still like to know how one deer in a fence can be the only positive since it spreads sooo... easy....?

4. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Not sure how many there are, but I did read somewhere a few years back that Michigan and Colorado were the two highest numbered states with game enclosures. That was all species of animals, not just deer.

They might be accounted for somewhere in the USDA, don't they have supervisory responsibility?

5. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Shut them all down then burn the buildings and grounds, bulldoze the area and put in a F'kn parking lot.

The DNR and some of you guys want to blame hunters for not going out and killing above and beyond when Deer Farm's brought in CWD from out west, allowed it to spread in their pens and then either let them go intentionally by legal transfer and illegally actions (there is documentation of this) or unintentionally through broken fences and yet nothing changes and the blame has somehow shifted to Joe Hunter for not killing enough, adding food plots, habitat work, etc etc

Step 1.) Shut all captive facilities down immediately (Waaaayyy overdue)
    Step 2.) Begin the process of destroying them. It may not be the end of be all but it's a start.

6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I'm aware of the 1 attempted transfer of a buck from the Kent Co. farm about 10 years ago. That deer farmer was stopped, charged and convicted. So that attempt was stopped. Are there other documented illegal transfers ?

L & O

7. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Sorry, got excited. Documentation is loose term but that Kent Co farm had reports of the deer being let go and transferred out at night by the shady owner. Do you think all the positives in Kent and Montcalm all came from that one 1 attempted transfer and documented case?

People say "we don't know how it started in Michigan". BS. They're just not paying attention or it's easier for them to sleep at night if they don't try to connect the dots..

cakebaker, otcarcher and plugger like this.
  8. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I believe or CWD is a result of hunters bring back "Trophies" from DWD states and careless carcass and taxidermy waste disposal. When we knew CWD was out there and we let the importation continue, even though we knew hunters were far from careful and trust worthy, we got what we had coming. It is quite probable that the Kent county farm positive was the result of taxidermy waste incorrectly handled.

9. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

It could be, but what evidence do you have that proves it IS the result? Based on what we know, sure is a pretty fantastical claim wouldn't you say?

HUBBHUNTER likes this.
  10. mbrewer

mbrewer

Who says it spreads easy?

11. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Same amount of evidence you have that it wasn't. As many deer as are imported from CWD states it is most likely that is where our infection is from. Deer imported to farms is miniscule when compared with "Trophies" imported. Many taxidermists, including on this site, have mentioned people bringing in "Trophies" that were not legally prepared.

motdean likes this.
  12. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Where did I say it wasn't? It could be. But, it could also be from other reasons like trying to dump CWD positives from a farm into the wild. We just don't know enough to make the type of statement you did.

13. Sparky23

Sparky23

Well I mean nose to nose contact spreads it according to the powers you listen to. So how is it that one deer in a pen can have it...the first positive was I believe 3yo female born InThat encloser and no others had it? Absolutely nothing is known about it I wish they would just admit that. And you me or nobody here knows when or how long it has been here or how it has and was spread. How does a deer head coming from out of state and going to taxidermist spread it? How does a deer living with the same deer in a TINY encloser not spread it?

JDHunts and otcarcher like this.
  14. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I also said I believe not it was! They caught a guy trying to free one deer, non positive, because it was a pet. How many deer do you think are brought in from other states? Do you think any of them may be positive? Do you believe all of them are prepared legally before being imported? I am not a fan of deer farms but I am realistic enough to see where the greater danger may be.

15. Justsayin

Justsayin

Denying history only ensures we are doomed to repeat it...

The DNRÂ’s investigation of the 2008 deer farm resulted in the
    review of records of the associated taxidermy studio, located adjacent to the
    enclosure. Investigators determined two free-ranging deer with intact
    heads were imported into Michigan illegally and delivered to the taxidermy
    studio by customers. The deer were taken from known CWD-positive
    areas in Wyoming and South Dakota.

The investigation concluded the 2008 case was most likely due to
    discards from out of state harvest taxidermy discards disposed of
    inside the farm enclosure.