Another deadhead...

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Joel/AK, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

I hope you don't lose 1.

After bowhunting 20 years, I just lost my first archery buck this season. Sucked. Tracked the buck for literally 1200 yards, with up to 5 people, Blood the whole track. Got permission and tracked on the neighbors. Let me tell you, we put some time into tracking a buck that everyone of us thought was dead just around the next turn or log. Unbelievable. I hope to never lose 1 again.

2. Lakreye

Lakreye

You won't find him if he's still walking. I shot one just above the lungs, tracked it a long ways. Shot the same deer 2 weeks later. He was healed over, an chasing does.

polish.polka.prince likes this.

3. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

That response constitutes wanton waste on his part, you have enough evidence to act beyond complaining.

4. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

I would encourage you to contact a local hunting hound owner for additional help, should you encounter this situation again. I have labradors that I use on waterfowl and upland birds, they will locate deer carcasses left by poachers and discarded skeletons, too; No, they do not chase deer, but they will track a deer after they jump it while we are out hunting. A dog with a good nose can go a long way toward finding downed game, even if they are not trained to trail it.

5. Chessieman

Chessieman

I find at least one unrecovered a year from the "pro bow shooter" young puck kid next door. No he never shoots does either even though these are from this years crop ( I will not say yearling"). Had a neighbor do a hit on a buck that was never recovered during gun. The buck survived loosing one leg. The next year a bow hunter shot him in the ass not recovering him. The Coyotes took him down right on the original shooters two track. We kept the offset rack for him and hung it in his barn for a reminder.

twiliter likes this.
  6. sniper

sniper

IMG_2076.JPG 5 pt found Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. Goinpostal83

Goinpostal83

Yea with to many it is. We have found 5 bucks and now 3 does last 2 years. All decent shots. I finally witnessed the guy on neighboring property shoot a doe. Watched her run onto my land and he never even went to look for blood. She was dead in 100 yards. CO came out and couldnt write them because it left there property. they had shot 13 as of last tuesday recovery 8. The other 5 they didnt look for as they said the believed they left the property after shot. So how is it bad to be upset about that or about Joel being upset Bout finding deer dead and wasted. You sure take offense maybe he isnt the one that needs a tracking lesson sounds like.

bansheejoel likes this.
  8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I had an uncle that nobody ever liked growing up. One of the dumbest people I have ever met in my life. He was a city dweller and a union steward at GM. He is no longer part of the family. My entire life he told stories of missed deer at thanksgiving dinner. Occasionally he shot a deer but the big bucks were always stories of misses.

He hunted a farm in alpena area owned by one of his retired shop workers that he represented one year. He shot 3 deer one day and brought one back to the house excited and proud. The landowner asked him if he was going to go back and get the other 2 deer he shot. My dimwitted uncle told him he missed. The landowner took him back and showed him the blood trails and recovered the other deer. My uncle believed his entire life that any deer you hit with a rifle dropped in its tracks and it wasnt possible for a hit deer to run off.

I have to believe there are others out there as clueless as him somehow functioning in society.

9. Slick Trick40

Slick Trick40

I cover tons of ground every winter and spring shed hunting and scouting. Well over 100 miles.I find more deadheads than sheds. I quit picking up the small deadheads. Found one 140” last year.One thing positive about finding deadheads is they are sometimes in the best bedding areas in the area. I have killed bucks with this intel the next fall.

10. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

One of the best deer hunters I knew growing "older" always maintained that you can find out more about deer movement and deer preference patterns when you are tracking a wounded deer prior recovery.

11. june bugger

june bugger

It's always easy to pick out the guys that think "they own the deer" just by reading some of these posts

cb2176 and Goinpostal83 like this.
  12. Goinpostal83

Goinpostal83

Amazing some guys Think that somebody Is irresponsible for shooting at a running deer with a gun. I am just as confident shooting at a deer on the move with a gun as I am at a deer standing maybe this stems from small game hunting and duck hunting my entire life. It's funny that the same guys that decide they are going to have a raven crossbows and shoot 60 yd say this.

MasterBaiters and bansheejoel like this.
  13. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

In general do you think the likelihood of making a poor shot increases if you are targeting a running animal?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. Chessieman

Chessieman

See another reason to allow baiting, just do not pull the trigger when they have their mouth full!:hide:

15. Goinpostal83

Goinpostal83

I've never lost a deer with a gun. I've killed somewhere around 60 with a gun. I have missed a few. Which I looked amd looked for. And most were not running no. Ive been doing pushes since I could hunt when the right situation presents itself. If you are confident in your shot then take it. I know ple ty of friends that flat out cant shoot. Standing. Let alone moving targets. So no ot isnt for everyone. He was 175 yards dead run on a push. But i can see you are offended by anyone that doesn't lose.many deer though. 16066702006422015847956115165633.jpg

1morebite likes this.