Another deadhead...

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Joel/AK, Nov 27, 2020.

1. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

2. wpmisport

wpmisport

We use to talk about walking the woods on state land the day after opening day of rifle season looking for dead deer. Wearing lots of hunters orange of course. It was just something to talk about and never gave it a try and wasn't serious about it.

DM90 likes this.

3. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I think I'm hitting a nerve with some here..lol

Gsphunteronpoint1 likes this.
  4. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

When you lose one will you notch your tag or keep hunting? There isn’t a right or wrong answer. I’m curious though

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Tough call. Depends on circumstances. Haven't been there yet.

6. 1morebite

1morebite

Years ago I rented a house from a farmer near some state land.
    I also had permission to hunt the land. On opening day the farmers son and his group started deer drives at 9 AM. WTF??
    The next year, I was invited to hunt with the party.
    I was told the "Practice Day" was on 3rd Saturday in September at 9AM, if you miss it dont bother showing up to hunt.
    That group had an amazing set up with running deer on tracks and a cardboard filled tire that was bounced down a hill! Lots of mentoring and coaching at the practice sessions.
    I realize that not every group does this, it was a great experience and many deer were safely taken as they were well organized and knew where to put the shooters. Interestingly enough the drivers accounted for 50% of the deer.

7. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

IMG_7411.JPG
    20190330_132428.jpg
    Here's the 2 from last year.

8. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I was gonna let this go but I will ask you the same question. Do you notch yours or just say screw it, im hunting. Goes both ways

garyb likes this.
  9. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

I notched the tag and always will. It’s a personal choice and like I said there is no wrong or right answer. I know there are some sportsmen who have questionable ethics in my book, but the vast majority are great people who respect resource. Losing an animal let alone wounding one is one of the most gut wrenching things that happens in hunting, but it does happen for a variety of reasons. If you hunt long enough it will happen to everyone. Some things are as simple as a bad shot selection, others can be as simple as a twig hitting an arrow or a deer dropping on a shot etc. I would tread lightly before throwing people under the bus without knowing the situation because it was more than likely a low point for them and something that can drive people out of the sport entirely and that’s not what we need.

10. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams

Why didn't the guy look for the deer Joel/AK?

11. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

You've been throwing me under the bus but you say I can't do the same? I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I'm glad you have ethics, it does make me feel better with hunters.

I already said, crap happens. I know it does but its starting to be a common occurrence by me and its starting to piss me off.

bansheejoel likes this.
  12. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner

Next week is my week long deer hunt in southern Ontario. 14-17 guys pushing bush and everyone with a muzzleloader! We will tag out in 3 days tops. Trust me if you do it right, most shots aren’t at running deer, and if your pushing, those 12ga single shots or doubles converted to a muzzleloader are brutal on white tails.

13. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams

If they are that sensitive that they get drove out of the sport ...I'd tell them to take up knitting then lol.

14. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Don't know. If I was out there and known he was, if he was looking, I would have stopped hunting and helped. I know what your asking, and it was right on the property line along the powerlines. Consumers owns the line so its fair game. Grant it, it could have been overlooked. Dont know

15. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

Explain where I threw you under the bus.