Another deadhead...

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Joel/AK, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

33812.jpeg

I really wish people gave a crap or learn how to track deer. Happens to much and im sick of the coyotes getting fed.

2. Ken

Ken

Too many variables to blame anyone. Could have been raining and washed the trail away. Could have been a deflection or weird angle, causing the deer to go much farther. Could have been property lines involved where the hunter couldn't gain permission to track.
    It's hunting season, it happens. Just like 12 months a year when deer get hit by cars, and end up dying from it. That's why there are predators and scavengers in the wild.

3. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I understand crap happens. Found another one earlier and got ahold of the property owner from where the buck seemed to have come from. Showed him a pic. He shot it and never even got out of his treestand to look for it. He had the balls to ask for the antlers.

We usually find a couple every year. As for property lines, in our area lines are just a suggestion. Everyone in our area know that if you need to track a deer, go get it on our property and surrounding properties.

Goinpostal83 and roger15055 like this.
  4. fishx65

fishx65

Nature wastes nothing.

Lumberman, Grandriverrat and plugger like this.
  5. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

HuronView and Grandriverrat like this.
  6. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Actually no I have never lost an animal...knock on wood.

bansheejoel, garyb and Quack Addict like this.
  7. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

Eyecon, LuckyBucks, DM90 and 9 others like this.
  8. >WingIt<

>WingIt<

9. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I'm sure it will be humbling. I've been lucky.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  10. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Obviously I'm better at than the hunters around my place.

bansheejoel likes this.
  11. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Anecdotal, but it seems I’ve seen more stories of lost and wounded deer in the last year or two. Maybe it’s just the prevalence on social media now.

I’ve lost 5 in 30 years. Less than 10%. It sucks every time, doe or buck. One the broad-head hit the shoulder blade and didn’t penetrate enough to be fatal. Tracked him over 500 yards. Bounces out and only had 2-3” of penetration on arrow. Still poor shot placement on my part.

Two were gut shot and poor shot placement. One was my scope ring was broken and didn’t know it and made a poor shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

12. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

It happens but IMHO, a lot of guys get 'buck fever' and take iffy shots, premature shots that would have improved had they just waited, or shots that they flat out shouldn't have taken. I know one guy that passed on a long shot on a spike this year and later told me "I would have taken the shot if he was a big one". Not sure why it's ok to him to shoot beyond his comfort zone "if it's a big one"...

Not even getting out of a stand to see if you connected and track is just irresponsible.

13. At least for me it’s an absolutely horrible feeling when I wound an animal and don’t find it. It makes me sick to my stomach. The main reason if I don’t have a very good clean ethical shot opportunity I do not take it and the deer lives to see another day. The main reason I hate deer drives and wish it was illegal. No way is anyone getting a clean ethical shot at a running deer. It’s pathetic and should be banned. Not to mention it’s dangerous for everyone involved. No way do you have time to see beyond your target when your throwing up your gun and unloading it hoping for a Hail Mary shooting at a running deer. I always shake my head in disbelief and laugh at the same time when I hear a gun being unloaded. You know there is no way ethical shots are being taken. Deer don’t stand still while you unload your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkj

14. ART

ART

In my experience, People who have shot any number of deer and haven't lost one is fibbing about one of those....

rhood, kisherfisher, DM90 and 13 others like this.
  15. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Don't know what to tell you. Dont give 2 shidts if you believe me or not. 18 years in AK and no lost animals, a couple of bears came close but got them. Almost lost a deer last year in pouring down rain but got it. Im only 48 and im not saying it will not happen, I just don't have the Michigan mentality " it happens, ill just shoot another one".

I'll let one pass if I don't have a good shot.

docbas, hunt-r, bansheejoel and 2 others like this.