Another Center Pin addict

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by abbatoys, Mar 22, 2009.

1. abbatoys

abbatoys

I watched 2 different guys work center pin set ups on Friday and was in awe......So now I have spent all weekend doing research and decided I will take the plunge. What would be a decent rod/reel set up , not just the cheapest, but good for the Muskegon, Rogue, White,etc. I have about $400 to budget. What length rod would be best.?? Thanks, Scott

2. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

Raven Matrix 12'9" 3pc rod for $129.95 (entry level rod that actually has a backbone)...and Raven Matrix reel for $179.95 or Okuma Sheffield reel for $189.95.

You may want to actually try one before you go out and drop $300+ on a setup. Although its very effective, I have noticed that casting and line management are quite challenging for people new to centerpin/float fishing.

3. brookie~freak

brookie~freak

I can vouch for this statement. I just got into pinning a few months ago and can't make consistent decent casts yet, but then again I haven't put in that much time practicing. I've been flyfishing for 20 years now and can say that centrepinning is much harder to pick up than fly casting.

It definitely has its time and place and is a superior presentation in certain situations. I wanted to add another tactic and method to my arsenal, so to speak.

4. axisgear

axisgear

My only addition would be a Matrix XL reel if you were to be steelhead fishing exclusively. I like a smaller reel for other species,but 5" is great for steelies.

5. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

im a little lost here. why is the .5" going to make that much of a difference on a specific species? how's greg's hanson treating ya:lol::lol::lol:?

6. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

I have fished all my life and could not find any advantages C.P's. has over one of my other center pins... my bait casters.... in fact I can have even more bearings with a reel of equal cost. A reel with a flipping switch is even better, cast.... let line flow.. bober down, press / release - switch, hammer Fish !. Being able to use Mono makes it much easier to fish in low Temps. as it does not freeze like braids, Etc, nore does it have the tendency to to "check" itself... yes.... Mono does not float as well as a braid, but I have never had a % of hookups to takes - using Mono that was upsetting.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. axisgear

axisgear

Why do you have to bust my chops,too? I made a suggestion,let it be. By the way,MY Hanson is GREAT!;)

8. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

sean,

i was busting your chops because the typed words looked shovanistic to me. oh well, no harm no foul.

9. Adam Gibbs

Adam Gibbs

i too thought the same thing. i used a baitcaster last year, and it worked well, but there was still noticable friction that would not allow you to get the same length drifts as the centerpinners. i switched to a CP this year, and i will tell you, it is awesome. i think it is actually easier to fish with than a baitcaster. good luck.

10. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

you run a calcutta? i love them for big water. used to have one that my buddy let me use whenever i wanted, then he joined the PMTT and since took his calcutta and his jerkbait 7'6" loomis musky rod too:lol:. i used that calcutta a couple times for float fishing big water with a 14' medium action float rod and loved it. the control was easier to me with the baitcaster. plus i felt you could get fish in quicker for catch and release applications. seem some canadiens run low profile daiwas, shimanos, and quantum reels on custom float rods with spiral wrapping for the guides, and they catch usually more than the guys buying the status or trendy "new age wheels", but then again i think its because they have a better idea about whats going on.:lol:;)

11. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

I agree there may be some tuning to do, however I have found after tuning the reel there is only what friction I leave in the tuning.

12. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

God knows I've been a baitcaster junkie for the last several years now. I just built an 11' 6" baitcasting stick using the Batson ML. With the split rear grip I put on, it balances out perfectly with a Cardiff 201 and I'm absolutely loving that set up right now. I'm putting together one of the 11'3" MH Rainshadow's and I can already tell that's gonna be one hell of an a** whuppin' skein chuckin' salmon stick. LOL!!!

13. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

Thousandcasts... how would you rate the Rainshadow blanks ?... I have not built one yet and am interested in them.

14. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

It depends on the reel you use...expect to spend at least $100 for one with good enough bearings to freespool nicely. I go back and forth between both (CP & BC) but have been using the baitcaster for larger water and longer drifts because its a hell of a lot nicer with a 5:1 gear ratio. The Shimano Citica has worked well for me and holds 150 yards of 20# P-Line Hydrofloat. I built an 11'6" rod rated 8-12lb from Dorber Rods. The blank was $35 and, in my opinion, as good as anything out there costing twice as much or more. The blank and all the components, including shipping, worked out to less than $80.

15. SullyFloats1

SullyFloats1 Banned

I've started using a baitcaster recently more and more. It's a nice set up to have to turn to when you're fishing different water. It's nice to fish a 10 ft rod w/ backbone over a 13 ft ultra lite when your drift is only 10-20 ft away. I think the baitcaster is a great extra weapon to carry in the boat. Plus what beats a Bill Dance hookset on a steelhead when that float goes down? I just tune the spool tension differently for each spot I fish, works like a charm!

If anyone can tie me a 11 to 12 ft rod on a batson blank for my baitcaster please pm me!