An old Shimano survivor

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ESOX, Aug 15, 2020.

1. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I used to be a Shimano guy, till around the late 90s when quality dropped. Brass gears replaced by nylon etc. Price didnt drop, but I dropped them for Daiwa. Then I found this oldie but godie kicking around in the basement up north. I got this somewhere in the early/mid 80s for my Mom, on a 5 1/2' ML pistol grip Shimano rod. It was relegated to the basement because the drag is shot, and Mom is no longer here to see to it it got fixed. Brass gears and bearings are perfect. Definitely one I want to get going again, on a better rod. I think I have a 7' ML 13 Fishing Omen Series that would be just right for it at home. Now to figure out what to do about the drag stack? @tincanary
    1597537818578460692701834969292.jpg 1597537870015375500879138864353.jpg

Scout 2 and Mike like this.
  2. tincanary

tincanary

Oh man, those Bantams are sweet. I can do it up, carbon drags are made for them.

6thMichCav, jd4223 and ESOX like this.

3. ESOX

I'll be back downstate this week.

4. tincanary

tincanary

I'm headed back downstate today myself.

5. ESOX

Drags on those Shimanos were always a bit weak. Like 8# max. Would adding an extra disk or two help beef it up a little?

6. tincanary

tincanary

The drag should be beefier with the carbon washers. That reel probably used either felt or Teflon washers from the factory.

ESOX likes this.
  7. tincanary

tincanary

Some food for thought. The ultracast style Ambassadeur that's been on the market since the late 80s originally was capable of 11lb of drag. When they switched then over to carbon 15 years ago, they were then capable of 15lb. You'll probably see another couple of pounds of drag capability. I could also shim the very top of the drag stack which will let you lock it down a little more if need be.

8. ESOX

With it's fairly high line capacity for a low profile reel and associated higher startup inertia, I am thinking I might put 30# PP on it and use it for 1- 1.5 oz baits on a 7.5' light flipping stick for pike and post cold front smaller muskie baits. A bit of extra drag wouldnt hurt.

9. tincanary

tincanary

Keep in mind too that older low profile reels have weaker drags due to them using smaller gears. Once they went to the offset gearboxes that's when drag numbers went way up since there's much more surface area to accommodate larger washers.

6667supersport and ESOX like this.