close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aluminum repair using Dura Fix brazing rods

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by jpollman, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jpollman

jpollman Premium Member

Howdy all!

Over the years we've had a lot of threads asking about aluminum repair or welding. It's a long story but the other day my tractor engine died because of something I did. It ended up with about a half inch hole in the bottom of the case. I could have bought a new part for $89 plus shipping but I remembered that my step father told me he had some of those Dura Fix aluminum brazing rods. This morning he brought some over and I got to work. It only took me a few minutes to clean up the area and prep it. Then about 10 minutes of work with my acetylene torch and the rods and it looks like I just saved myself at least $100. Here are some pictures of the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd share my experience with this stuff. It looks pretty good so far and well worth trying if you have an aluminum repair to be done.

http://www.durafix.com/

Take care

John

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. Priority1

Priority1

Is that an oil sump from a Briggs and Stratton engine??. I had mine off this Spring for a gasket leak. Glad you was able to fix it. I hope you bit the bullet and replaced all the seals.:)

3. jpollman

jpollman Premium Member

Yep it's a B&S 18.5 Intek. I'll be going out today and either picking up or ordering new gaskets and a lower seal. It won't take too long to put back together and see how it runs. Once I know it runs I'll order a new clutch and be ready for the fall leave cleanup which is right around the corner.

John

4. Priority1

Priority1

It looks good, but before putting it back together put some gasoline in the sump and make sure it doesn't leak out near the repair. It would be a bummer to get it back together and find it leaks oil.:) I saw the ads for the aluminum brazing rod before, but never knew anyone that tried it. I may get some. I have an aluminum boat, props, etc. etc. Thanks for posting this.

5. jpollman

jpollman Premium Member

It worked!

Yesterday morning I looked over the repair very closely and it looked good. It would probably have been fine to just put it back together and call it good. But I decided to play it safe so I put a good coat of JB Weld over the inside and outside of the repair. I let is set up for about 6-7 hours then decided to reassemble the engine. I got it all reassembled and installed last night but decided to leave it sit until this evening so it could completely cure. A little while ago I went out and installed the oil filter and filled her up. Reconnected the battery and double checked things and everything looked fine so I turned the key. It cranked for a few seconds to fill the bowl and she fired right up! She's running just fine. I pushed it out into the driveway and let it run for about twenty minutes and it's still running fine so I think I'll order a new electric clutch and she's back in business. I ended up doing the sump repair for less than $20 including the new gasket and seal. If you ever end up with a broken aluminum casting, give this stuff a shot. It can save you a bunch of cash!

John

6. TONGA

TONGA Mods

7. k8vol

k8vol

Late model B&S 31CU. ohv base . steve k8vol

8. jpollman

jpollman Premium Member

Working great so far!

Tuesday afternoon the new electric clutch came in. I mounted it and finished putting the tractor back together and mounted the mower. I fired her up and was able to get the grass cut. I had to spend a few bucks for a new electric clutch but it only cost me about $20 to repair the hole in the engine base plate. Overall it was much cheaper than a new tractor! ;)

John