Aluminum or glass?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1fishingnut, Jul 20, 2016.

1. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

I'm thinking about down sizing. I would like a boat under 3,000 lbs with gear, motor etc. Something I can fish small lakes with too. 2-3 guys... Thinking 18'
    Full windshield is a must...
    I've been looking at a stratos 386 XF... alumaweld striker, Starcraft Titian...
    And???
    Any feedback on ride for the big lakes?
    Pros & cons of glass vs aluminum?

2. jpmarko

jpmarko

Well, for starters, aluminum is lighter. That would make it easier to find an 18 ft boat under 3,000 lbs. But glass rides better because it's heavier and cuts through the waves. A compromise would be to find an aluminum boat that is made out of thicker gauge aluminum. I myself am planning on buying a Hewescraft in a couple years (if there's still salmon around) for that very reason.

I'm sure other guys with more experience will chime in.

3. 386xf

386xf

I like my 386 its great for trolling. Ride is a tad bumpy at times but have nothing really to compare to as far as other brands of similar size. Here is a nice one at a real good price.

http://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/5676742484.html

4. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

An 18 ft Lund is always a great option.

5. big bologna

big bologna

6. big bologna

big bologna

Ok I own a hewescraft I have owned aluminum Islanders Sylvan fiberglass lots of boats my hewescraft 220 Ocean Pro is the baddest f****** boat I've ever been on , don't be fooled when they say aluminum because they are expensive but hold their value very well mine is red with a gray hardtop

No Mas likes this.
  7. steelyspeed

steelyspeed

BB. Can you post some pics of your Hewes?

8. BFG

BFG

+1 for Hewescrafts. I have four friends that own them, and they are awesome boats.

9. whitehewescraft

whitehewescraft

I have a 2014 Hewescraft 180 Sportsman. I love it. 75 hp Honda, 4' Traxstech tracks on both sides, Big Jon riggers, Minnkota Terrova on the bow for autopilot. Mine tops out at 33-34 mph on flat water which is good enough for me. This hull will take up to a 115 hp motor, but I wanted the smaller engine to be able to troll down without a kicker. The 75 in combination with the Terrova works really well. Running 10 lines is no problem (3 boards, one diver and one rigger off each side). I have not attempted to add a 2nd set of divers yet but there is plenty of track space for the rod holders and I'm sure it could be done.

3 people is comfortable, 4 is a bit of a crowd but can be done. The amount of space in the back of this boat is unreal and allows it to setup extremely well for trolling. I had a mid-80's Tiara Pursuit 2000 prior to this and the Hewes has more trolling space in the back, despite being 2 foot shorter.

The tradeoff here is ride due to the helm being so far forward. In a 2 foot chop, I can cruise pretty comfortably at 12-14 mph, which gets me where I'm going but takes a little longer than some other boats. A 1 foot chop and I'm somewhere in the 16 to low 20's mph range. The medium duty suspension seats are an absolute must. The stock "horseshoe" suspension seats are a joke and will beat you up. I retrofitted mine with the Smooth Moves suspensions and it was money well spent. It's a toss up between that and the Terrova as to which was the better add-on.

Hull weight is 1200 lbs. Add 400 lbs. for the engine, 200 for fuel, plus gear and you're up around 2,000 lbs. Very easy to hook up and tow. Any questions, feel free to give me a shout. And if you're in the Hudsonville area sometime and want to take a peek, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Oh, and if storage is an issue, this boat will fit in a 2 car garage with a standard 7' door.

Pictures below are of a boat nearly identical to mine. I have the gray canvas top instead of the black.

01.jpg 05.jpg 04.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

BFG and UBDSLO1 like this.
  10. No Mas

No Mas

Having a 196 Fishmaster gives me a great platform to fish out of. However, if I was to do it all over again and was picking out an aluminum boat, Hewescraft would be my first choice.

BFG likes this.
  11. Corey K

Corey K

The only downside to these cab forward design boats (besides the rough ride) is doing any other type of fishing besides trolling. Yeah you can put a TM on the bow and use it for trolling but, I do think jigging or casting would be tough? I've seen several Hewe's and they looked very nice and lots of room for trolling. If your just trolling I think these NW boats are well built and would hold up well to our waves on the Great Lakes better than most welded or riveted boats.

12. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

Thanks for all the replies! I will look into the Hewes... I haven't seen that one before.
    I like all of the room in the back. I don't do much bow fishing. How is the ride though?
    After the serving in the "light infantry" I'm not sure how much my back can take anymore!
    Lund rides nice, but the large gunwale takes up too much beam.

13. JBhunter45

JBhunter45

I agree, look at the larger StarCraft or Crestliner with narrower gunwales too or the Lund Sport Angler
    Oops, didn't see you were looking for a 18', more options in 20' and up.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  14. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

Check out Smoker Craft's Phantom series of boats too. Same type of style as the Hews Craft.

15. REG

REG

For fishing big lakes, I'd find it hard to consider going back to Aluminum over glass if I was in the market again. The way aluminum's have gone up in size, I haven't noticed a huge difference in comparing hull weights for equal sized boats.

I had a Yarcraft 2050 Michigan. Fished with a guide for a couple days on Rainy Lake MN (big rough lake) who ran a 2150 Lund Baron GS, beautiful boat. However, for running through the snot, I'd take the Yar over the Lund any day of the week.