All day sits

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Richard Cranium, Oct 28, 2020.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

yeah, close to bedding and food is ideal. A couple years ago I had a buck pushing does in and out of the bedding all day long.

Dish7, vsmorgantown and pgpn123 like this.
  2. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Not overthinking it in the slightest. I've got 40+ stand sites on a bunch of different properties and there's not a single site that is equally good morning and afternoon.

Using funnels as an example. in early November a funnel is much more productive for buck movement during the first 2/3rd of the day than the final 1/3rd. During the final 1/3rd of the day buck movement is much more localized to food sources where does are concentrated.

o_mykiss, Spartan88 and ReeseHunter like this.

3. Spartan88

Spartan88

I never seem to bring enough booze to last an all day sit... :D

Joking aside, I did an all day yesterday and was sober all day like I am every day. Didn't have any bucks wander but enjoyed myself. I've learned that time in the stand eventually pays off. Doing another all day sit Saturday.

4. Big Skip

Big Skip

I would rather sit in my shack and relax all day then tend to 40 different spots! Cripes I hardly have enough time to hunt 1 spot. Not everyone has the same aspirations while hunting.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

5. time2kyl

time2kyl

Games on my phone and this website. Best buck to date I was playing euchre on my phone, looked up and he was 75 yards away turned at 50 yards to go around a blow down, boom. It was 230 opening day of rifle season.

6. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

I dig a hole with my foot and bury-it. I usually will walk out away from my stand a 100 yards or so, find a leaner-tree, dig and go. Disposable wet wipes are also very helpful.

NormD likes this.
  7. Martian

Martian

i have done a couple all dayers, and never will again. On occasion, somebody will tell me the stand they have or the chair they have, I have a very comfy couch, and I cannot sit in it all day lol

Joe Archer likes this.
  8. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

How in the H-E double hockey sticks do you keep up with all that, good lord I'd drive myself nuts deciding which stand to use....that one!!!....not that one, well maybe..no yes ..crickies.:bonk:

I have four good locations I haunt on state land and have hunter for years, those are enough to drive me battey... :lol::lol:

vsmorgantown likes this.
  9. pgpn123

pgpn123

We're going to have to agree to disagree on some of this. I'm not sure where you're getting 2/3 this and 1/3 that. You certainly sound authoritative. (I'm not buying)

The biggest difference between my morning and evening stands are which direction I look. Same stand, morning they're heading to cover, evening coming back out.

Funnels are prime places to be on stand all day.

The season becomes a marathon. My mantra is 'keep going out'. If you're there when he goes by, that's all you remember.

10. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

A stand set up where deer move to cover in the morning and back to food in the evening is not a funnel. That's simply hunting lines of movement.

A funnel stand is where movement is restricted between bedding areas by some terrain feature(s) and that capitalizes on the mid morning to mid afternoon buck cruising that occurs after most antlerless deer are bedded for the day. The amount of distance a buck covers during that cruising time is much greater during the early and mid portions of the day than at the end of the day, as at the end of the day there's a much greater orientation to food sources.

o_mykiss and sureshot006 like this.
  11. Slimits

Slimits

Funnels are prolly hardest thing in woods to find. Easy in fenceline farm country

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. pgpn123

pgpn123

I didn't say a morning/evening stand is in a funnel. But it could be. Morning/evening stands are often one and the same. imo

Time on stand in November gets rewarded. Mid day is time well spent being on stand. I'm not saying it's easy.

November Sunrise likes this.
  13. Dish7

Dish7

Wow, 40+ stands and not one "tweener" that works for both? Sounds like confirmation bias. :D

14. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Did you notice how many kids that dude's got?

15. fishx65

fishx65

I don't do all day sits cuz they seem to take all day:)