All day sits

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Richard Cranium, Oct 28, 2020.

1. WMU05

WMU05 Premium Member

Downwind

2. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

This is me to a T. If I am outside in a stand I have to have something warm to drink, hoody and hand muff.
    Oh the most important thing, don't eat a big breakfast, otherwise you will have to get the toilet paper out. Once I am in the stand I never leave until dark.

brushbuster likes this.

3. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Lmao. Good advice!

This reminds me of the time my uncle had to go after a busch light night. He had a plastic bag in his backpack with candy in it. Emptied it out to use it as a "catch". Said he got done and thought, "now wtf do I do with this!?". He says, "I figured I would give it a good fling towards the trail and pick it up on my way out. So I spun it around a few times to get some momentum and let it fly. Sat back down and every now and again I would get a wiff and kept thinking there was no way I was still smelling it because it was downwind. I kept wondering about it, but didn't think to much about it after a while. I stood up to pee about an hour later and notice my tree is peppered with schitt!! The damn bag had a hole in it!"

Idk if I ever laughed so hard in my life when he told us that later at camp.

4. Big Skip

Big Skip

Dig a hole, bury it. Simple really

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

5. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

I haven't done a genuine all day sit since I was a teenager, but 10:00 A. M. till dark has paid off and been workable for me. I need to stand up for about 5 minutes of every hour to do this.

6. dinoday

dinoday

I can do it on the ground, but in a tree my back kills me and I can't sit still long enough.
    By mid-afternoon I can't take it anymore.
    On the ground I can, it's easier to move around and stretch sore muscles.

7. Skibum

Skibum Premium Member

One trick I've used is to have 2 stand locations. I hunt the first until maybe 1:00 and then still hunt to the 2nd stand. That gives you a little break and change of scenery. All day sits are very much a mental game. The first time I did it was back in the early 80's during gun season. By 10:00am I was antsy and started second guessing myself. I literally had to force myself to stay put. I wasn't seeing anything and it was agony. Until I looked up about 12:45pm to see a buck walking right at me. That gave me the confidence I needed going forward.

Dish7, welder72, Lever4ever and 3 others like this.
  8. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I have done a few, but not many all dayers in my younger days.
    After hunting from a tree stand all day alternating between sitting and standing, I was totally sore and stiff when finally climbing down. Sightings were never worth the effort, and I never killed a deer with a planned all day sit.
    Since I am 62 this year, I doubt that there are many more all day sits in my future.
    <----<<<

welder72 and Lever4ever like this.
  9. PTPD2312

PTPD2312

I do all day sits basically from now until gun opener with the bow in a tree when I can get out. I take PB&J, snacks, plenty of water, phone, charger and battery for phone.

I once climbed down to take a # 2 about 40 yards behind my stand. Climbed back up and 40 minutes later shot a 12 point. I don't think poo smell makes much difference unless you can smell it.

10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I don't think it bothers them either. They smell it all the time.

Piss is piss and poo is poo.

PTPD2312 likes this.
  11. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Shot this buck on all day sit on a opening day. 130 pm checking a scrape FB_IMG_1572544349288.jpg I believe.

12. ArrowFlinger

ArrowFlinger

Gotcha beat on this one.

One time my BIL comes back to the truck after an all day hunt and his friend asks what's that smell. He said he had to take a dump and must have stepped in it, but can't see it on his boots. As he is looking that is when we noticed that it landed in the hood of his jacket.:yikes:

13. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

speaking for myself, all day sits were much tougher when I was younger. Trail camera's were a game changer for me, knowing there were some big ones around made it a lot easier to sit longer. Other than when corn was being cut I never used to sit all day. Around 5 years ago was when I first did it during bow season and 2 of my biggest bucks were taken in those 5 years with a bow, both around noon.
    I got an IWOM 2 years ago and that thing is amazing. If it is going to be in the 30's or lower I am going to be wearing that. I have never hunted out of a permanent blind and try to hunt out of a pop up as little as possible (probably only a couple sits a year) all the rest are in tree stands.
    I take immodium when I get up in the morning of an all day sit.
    Take 2 protein shakes, 1 sandwich, 2 bottles of water and if it is cold out a thermos of Hot Chocolate. That can get me through the day.

Lever4ever likes this.
  14. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Seems to me like an all day sit in the same location would limit a hunter's success.

The reason I say that is I believe it's rare for the best option for a morning sit to also be the best option for an afternoon sit.

15. pgpn123

pgpn123

Don't overthink it. Funnels/pinchpoints or close to bedding are productive all day long.

Dish7, vsmorgantown and brushbuster like this.