All day sits

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Richard Cranium, Oct 28, 2020.

1. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

The only times I planned on doing all day sits where during rifle season. I shot deer both mornings, so it never materialized and I wasn't upset. The one time that I shot my biggest buck I wasn't even to where I wanted to be yet. I headed off to check out a different area, one of those "what's over the next ridge" kinda things where I had seen deer moving previously. Stopped to get my drink out of my back pack and take a leak. Heard something as I was pissing and got turned around and grabbed my gun with an 8pt walking about 80yds from me sniffing the ground not paying attention. BOOM. Dad calls and says "wtf I am not even to my blind yet!?" Lol

I went back and got the truck and got him gutted and loaded up, back to camp and had breakfast made for Dad when he got back. That was my favorite "all day sit".

A heated blind or pop-up where I could move a little would make it a lot more do able. Many times I have stayed out all day, but moved mid day to a different spot. IDK if I can count that.

2. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

A comfortable stand is a must.
    Warm clothing is a must.
    Plenty of food and water.
    If your comfortable you can enjoy your surroundings longer. Your mind will be your enemy so good thoughts help.
    Have fun. I'm 60 and do it every year especially on opening day. You'll be surprised at the mid day activity that you have missed.

3. Milosh

Milosh

Having sleep apnea I’m afraid I’ll alert every deer in the section to my whereabouts if I take a nap lol.

zimmzala, Lever4ever and aph like this.
  4. All day sits forced me to change to a crossbow during archery season. As I got older drawing back after way too many hours sitting made it tough. This paid off 2 years into the switch shortly before noon on a all day sit. St. Hubert Day is my most favorite all day sit day of the season.
    Now as for rifle season 3-5 all day sits are a must for me. I have shot an equal amount of deer between early morning/evening vs mid day. I have learned never to nap 11am to 1ish dam the action can be incredible. Saying my prayers, fox news, Mich Sportsman, re-reading my Jake Ehlinger habitat plan help pass the time. water, pee bottle, and few pieces of fruit are enough until a great camp dinner. Good Luck

5. pgpn123

pgpn123

They can really pay off, I see a lot of mid day movement with deer taken. Nov 15 is a given. After 2pm or so it seems like an afternoon sit. Did 3 in a row during bow a couple years ago. 4th day couldn't take it anymore, walked in at 1pm. On the way I glanced across the field and a true monster is looking at me from 100 yds. After a short stare down, I took another step and he turned and fled. It's worth it in Nov.
    Anytime if you're in bedding (MB).

6. On Target

On Target

Comfort, warmth, and confidence are key. I've had a lot of all dayers throughout the years. 99% have not rewarded me. The majority were no action between 11-5 which can be brutal. The absolute best time during the rut have been 10-11. One year I shot a good buck on opening day of gun at 2. I will keep on doing it because of the stories I keep hearing from other people, I just haven't seen good action myself.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

welder72 likes this.
  7. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Don’t do it is my suggestion. I have never done one either and until I get a box blind built...with a recliner, beer fridge, heaters, stove for cooking, you know like Wildthing has or like that one guy that was basically hunting out of a cabin with his kids during the youth hunt, count me out!

newaygogeorge likes this.
  8. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

If you’re in an area where there are quite a few other hunters that are going in and out for the mid day, it can be helpful.

Way more than once, I have seen a nice buck or a group of does on my way back out in the afternoon during rifle season. Biggest buck I have ever seen was sunning himself in some oak’s when I parked the truck. I was on the phone at the time and wasn’t paying attention. Pulled off the trail to park and hopped out of the truck and he stood up. I said “Holy F! I gotta go” and ran to the back of the truck trying to get my rifle out of the case and loaded while shaking like a leaf. By the time I was able to get back around the truck he was just getting over the ridge. Just walked off, didn’t give a schitt about me. Lol

9. JS714

JS714

I'll sit all day during rifle season unless I've got something to do midday. Opening day you'd be hard pressed to get me out of my blind...unless of course I shoot something. Food and drink are a must for me, along with a comfortable blind to be in. I'm too old to be in a tree all day...need to move just a bit after a couple of hours of sitting still. I don't take a book or mess with my phone too much. I spend my time watching and I video what I can. Every deer I try to get on camera...along with hawks hunting, an eagle now and then, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons or porcupines going about their day and so on. It really pretty much keeps me entertained. The button bucks seem to need a lot of food mid-November. Those little hogs are out and about quite a bit. I'm sure it's confidence in knowing I will see deer and wildlife that keeps me out there. That and I'm never disappointed by a hunt...my time to hunt is limited, so I enjoy every moment I can get whether I'm successful or not.

10. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

I have sat all day on Opening Day since I could start hunting. I first started hunting at my grandparent's property in Lake County for gun season, and my uncles hammered home the fact that we had to sit out there all day.

I am sure glad that they did. The amount of deer seen from 10-2 always impressed me. I am sure a lot of it up there had to do with the large amount of people hunting around us, and whenever they left or entered the woods they would bump deer to us. Paid off for my cousin a couple different times, he shot a nice buck around 2 PM back to back years.

I don't hunt up there much anymore, but I still sit all day on the 15th at least. Especially now, as where I will be on the opener is tight to a bedding area. Only way I am leaving is if I shoot one. Bring lots of snacks, coffee and water and it's not all that bad. Just seeing one deer in the middle of the day timeframe really helps keep spirits up

Lever4ever and Richard Cranium like this.
  11. NormD

NormD

Never did an "all-dayer" which brings me to this stupid question. Suppose you do need to take a #2 and its November in the UP for the opener. If in a popup ground blind. Where do you go?, What do you do with it?

Lever4ever and welder72 like this.
  12. Dynrat

Dynrat Premium Member

Not to mention I have shot several deer over the years when I woke up and one was standing right in front of me.

13. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

I have not shot them that way, but woke up to find them in front of me a few times. And, my cousin shot a nice buck one year, and I woke up to him telling us he was going to drag it to the road to take back to camp (We had walkie talkies back then). Come to find out, he shot that buck after it came from the direct area my blind was in. Most likely walked right past me while I napped. Lol

14. dewy6068

dewy6068

During rifle season I sit all day every time I’m out. More mature bucks have been killed off our property between 11-3 than morning or evenings combined. That being said, I am hunting in a elevated box blind that is heated and a nice comfortable office chair.

From Halloween to Nov 14 I will hunt some all day sits if I’m close to bedding or in a travel corridor where I know bucks cruise between bedding areas. Comfortable stands, food, and drinks are required. If you are cold, hungry, or uncomfortable you won’t make it all day! Even with all those things, all day sits in a treestand are tough especially if you aren’t seeing much. But it can be rewarding!

For the #2 question, always take TP with you and go for a short walk to take care of business and then get back in the blind. Always take your weapon with you too! Never know what will walk by while taking a deuce!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

15. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

kick out a hole and burry it.

vsmorgantown and Lever4ever like this.