Alcona dam to thompson

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by quack head, Apr 17, 2018.

1. quack head

quack head

Has any one floated (drift boat) from Ancona dam to Thompson landing? Wondering if you are able to get a drift boat in and out.

Thanks

2. jeffm

jeffm

I should know this answer but my memory is failing me.
    Below the dam is my problem, if I recall correctly it's not setup for what your wanting I believe.

I know Thompson's will not work for you but a couple miles down stream with real slow water getting you above Loud dam boat launch might work.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/recarea?ss=110904&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003738&navid=110240000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&recid=18568&actid=79&ttype=recarea&pname=Au Sable River - Alcona Dam to Lake Huron
    Screenshot_20180417-135115.png

3. Ryan7139

Ryan7139

There is lots of step's to Walk up,we do it with canoe's but that's about it.If you have a motor go all the way to loud dam, backwaters are slow moving that's why I would say take a motor.

jeffm likes this.
  4. quack head

quack head

What about a fly craft? I really want to fish the tail water. Chasing fables for toads.

5. jeffm

jeffm

I would think so, I drug up a 10' flat bottem back in the day when we hunted the other side of the river at thompsons but not fun lol.

(I looked up fly craft and read this)
    Slide it down riverbanks, carry it down trails, scramble it down rip rap. In most cases, as long as you can get to the water, so can the boat.

I would give it a go forsure!

6. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

As mentioned Thompson’s is going to be impossible. But if memory serves me correctly the is another spot on that side of the river really close to there that might be doable. But I don’t think you can back right in.