Alaska

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by hhlhoward, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Fishndude

Fishndude

The Naknek River is less than 20 miles long, and empties into Bristol Bay. It is rated the top river in Alaska for Rainbow Trout.

I read an article somewhere (STS maybe??) years ago about a trip to Sitka, Alaska. They caught LOTs of fish - Salmon, and Halibut, in the ocean. And they get extra fat Salmon there, due to an incredible amount of Herring that spend the summer there. That is somewhere I'd like to go fishing. They were catching Kings, and Cohos at the same time, which is somewhat rare for Ocean fishing.

brushbuster and hhlhoward like this.
  2. grapestomper

grapestomper

I have been to the kenai river for the last 3 years in a row.
    I love it there. It is crowed though. Last year was the worst I have seen even with the virus.
    The river was crowded. We caught plenty of fish but had to fight the crowds.
    We did one charter for reds and it makes life a lot easier. They bring you to a sand bar or bank and you have it to yourself. We like to explore on our own and go to seward, hope and other rivers. Brought home plenty of fish.
    Plenty of places to look into as options.
    We went the first year in the beginning of September and also had a ball. Not as crowded and caught silvers. Many rivers around the peninsula had fish in them. Good luck.

OH-YEAH!!! and hhlhoward like this.

3. Daveman

Daveman

Went in 2006, flew into Anchorage, rented a minivan and drove to Kenai Peninsula. Stayed one night in Seward and the other 5 or 6 nights at a cabin we rented between Kenai and Soldotna. Went grocery shopping, spent around $300, and had all our food for the week for 4 guys. Our excursions were 2 full day lower Kenai king salmon trips that were backtrolling, one halibut charter on the Cook Inlet out of deep creek/ninilchik, and a fly out to fish for sockeye with the bears at Wolverine creek. The fly out was my favorite outing. We rented the cabin and had our excursions booked through Steve Voth at captain Bligh’s Beaver Creek Lodge. We went at the end of June/beginning of July. My brother caught a 50 pound king on the Kenai River, saw many eagles, moose, a caribou, sheep and bear.