Alaska july 14-28

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by homebrew87, Mar 22, 2018.

1. homebrew87

homebrew87

Will be in alaska for a 2 week trip from anchorage down to seward area then up to fairbanks. Can anyone reccomend some tackle or techniques? Planning on buying a pack rod for the trip probably 8'6" to 9 foot range. Medium? Medium heavy? Planning on fishing as much as possible rivers, streams, lakes. Looking on youtube as well but would love some first hand ideas and tips. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  2. Abel

Abel

Pinks will be starting to show in the Hope area by then and they are a blast. Nearly everything except the bigger rivers for kings can be done on your standard GL Steelhead gear. I load y rods with 10-12lb main line and run 4-8lb leaders. Kenai is hot with reds at that time but that is purely snagging (lifting). If you're going to Seward drive on over to Cooper Landing, walk the Russian River and Sportsmans landing. The ferry going across fro Sportsman's to the Russian is neat as well. Stop in at Sackett's for food next to Cooper Creek, great BBQ and Pizza. Wildma's has some of the best softserve I've ever had. I leave Kodiak and spend the month of Sept there every year, love it. Fuller lakes is about an hr hike into a mountian lake full of grayling. Another awesome hike there is into Carter Lake, Carter Lake, it's on your way to Seward in Moose Pass. Hike up into there. Beautiful valley, bears, sheep and goats above you. The first lake is smaller and loaded with nice rainbows, fish the creeks flowing in. Cresent is the next lake, full of big grayling. All of you're normal trout and steelhead gear will be fine. If you fish the Russian or Kenai for bows and dollies, 6mm beads float fished.

3. homebrew87

homebrew87

Thanks Abel! Alot of great info. We will be staying in the coopers landing area for 3 nights so i will definatly check those areas out.
    What should i bring for fishing the lakes up there? Spinners and spoons with spinning gear? Or would flies be better? So far i am going to be bringing a 9' 8 weight fly rod and a 6'6" light spinning rod.
    Might bring a bigger spinning or casting reel and buy a rod up there if my fly casting/ chuck and duck doesnt work out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. Abel

Abel

that spiing rod will be fine for the lakes, I like a 8-9'er loaded with 6-8lb test for the added range. Small spoons and spinners for the lakes. make sure you read the regs, for the area you're fishing, they can be tough and they can change daily. Normally the EOs (Emergency Orders) will be posted at the popular spots. In Cooper landing there the Russian will be slammed with people but it's a sight to see. Float fish beads, 6-8mm under a float, steelie style, you'll have a blast. Also, 2 of the coolest hikes are Summit trail just North of Devils Creek/pass and Skyline, about 7 miles west/south of Cooper Landing. Skyline it strail up, but you can see the AK peninsula mountain range, all of Cook Inlet, all of the Kenai Peninsula nd nearly see Anchorage.

5. grapestomper

grapestomper

I read somewhere about no treble hooks on spinners. Any idea if that is true?
    I am headed to the kenai in August.

6. Abel

Abel

That all depends on where up here you're fishing. Here in Kodiak they are fine until Nov1st, then the rivers go to single hook no bait until Apr30th. Most of the Kenai Peninsula freshwaters are single hook, and many are no bait (includes anything with a sent). The entire Kenai River is single hook only, and you can only use bait down low below Skilak Lake. Have you been there before? What are you targeting?

7. grapestomper

grapestomper

Have not been there before. We are flying into anchorage and then working our way down to Soldotna . We are mainly after silvers.

8. Abel

Abel

Silvers in the Kenai you will need to run heavier gear, 8-10' rods loaded with 12-20lb mainline. It's not really wadeable, you'll be fishing mostly gravel bars if not with a guide in a drift boat. The back channels in the upper are really good in Sept when I'm there, they hold in the slack water and can fish them with lighter gear. Here in Kodiak it's exactly like fishing Michigan streams, same gear, only 20-40 fish in a couple of hours is the norm for me. Quartz Creek is a sweet little creek, just before Cooper landing, it' runs along the East side of the highway, will remind you of home a lot. Then Deep Creek and the Anchor River down from Soldotna are good runs, but I usually fish them for steelies in Sept. On those 3 rivers, light line, Michigan style steelheading gear will smoke the "Alaskan" 50lb braid guys.

9. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Thought the silver run later?

We went the beginning of August and they had just started. Some were still off-shore out of Seward

brushbuster likes this.
  10. brushbuster

brushbuster

Usually mid August for south central AK

11. Lenny K

Lenny K

I had the pleasure of leasing a year-round campsite on the Kenai River for 17 years in the town of Sterling north of Soldotna . Your dates there will put you in prime sockeye season. This is the most crowded time on the Kenai River there are plenty of public access places to park and walk in to combat fish and if you want a quality experience take a guide and he can put you in less crowded water upstream of the crowds, Launching at Bings landing and and going upstream ofSterling you should easily get your sockeye limits and then enjoy a nice float for trout .
    Our camp was sold to a wealthy investor and we all got kicked out after the 2016 season after 17 seasons , having literally caught thousands of reds hundreds of trophy rainbows and dozens of 50+ pound kings which unfortunately are not nearly as plentiful today
    There won’t be many silvers when you are there and the advice you received already is correct the second run of Silvers in September was always my favorite time to get back to Alaska and as already stated fishing Michigan style kicks ass over the stubborn Alaskans who use heavy line and plugs all day
    Those bigger coho cannot pass up a spawn bag or pink fly under a bobber.
    We would take float tubes For rainbows on Carter Lake and big grayling on Crescent Lake
    I still keep my boat it’s in storage in Alaska and hope to get back there this September
    You won’t be there very long and you’ll already be planning your next trip
    Hope this helps all the Alaska rules and regs can be found online

12. wildthing

wildthing

I floated the Kenai in mid-July last year. There were plenty of fisherman for sure but I did see lots of tight lines:

DSC01482.jpg DSC01487.jpg DSC01497.jpg

13. Abel

Abel

We still pull silvers in the salt well into Sept and still have fresh fish coming in mid Nov. The silvers really spread their timing out.

brushbuster likes this.
  14. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

EBC4FFFF-AAE2-4C76-91C4-4983A68B201B.jpeg A2146512-5277-464D-A91E-B8583615B496.jpeg 7042D510-8338-44D3-96C2-C85313740543.jpeg 48BE3331-CA2C-4C44-8DE5-FABC241CDD9D.jpeg
    I was last there in AK in August 2016. The silver run was very slow, but we managed a few. Was mainly fishing the lower stretch of the Kenai.

15. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

My highest priced meal was a regular tossed salad. I think it was like 20 bucks...LOL

UBDSLO1 likes this.