Airbrushing Novice seeking blank body baits

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Personal Business, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Personal Business

Personal Business

I’m a procrastinating newbie airbrush hack. Due to the COVID-19 I decided to start learning now how to airbrush, instead of next winter. How can I purchase unfinished body baits? Example, my buddy and I cast for muskies with Super Shad Raps with very good results. I have (IMO) unique ideas for airbrushing many musky patterns that I’d like to apply to unfinished Super Shad Rap lures or another available body bait brand. Does anyone know who, or how to go about this? This is just to be a hobby trying to keep myself busy during this COVID-19 Extended Cabin Fever Season.
    Any comments, suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

2. ebijack

ebijack

Lots of places on-line sell plastic and wood unfinished bodies.
    Jann's netcraft is only one. BUT, watch their shipping prices!
    They got me once, and I never shopped there ever again. It has been 25+ yrs. $16 shipping for 12 walleye hooks that cost less than the shipping.
    Lots of folks love Janns.

GrandGuru and cdnred like this.

3. Personal Business

Personal Business

Thanks for the site and your experience too.

4. piketroller

piketroller

Make sure you order from a reputable source. There are a lot of “deals” to be had from amazon and ebay sellers peddling knockoffs that don’t perform like the real thing. You have to remember you are going down the custom route because you want something that is not commercially available, and are willing to put in the time and money to get what you want. Don’t skimp.

5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have a number of unfinished original mahogany Lokes you can have for an arm and half a leg. I really dont know what they are worth but it's not gonna be 25 bucks each.

6. ebijack

ebijack

While your ordering, don't forget to get the proper size hooks you will want.
    I haven't airbrushed in many years. Gave away all 3 I had. I went to Society of Arts and Crafts ( now center for creative studies downtown) back in the 70's for advertising and painting.
    Once you get the hang of it. It is easy for the most part. It is the super fine lines/detail that you need your skill with.
    I made up a bunch of tshirts for example for my dyno rat buddies, back in 92. This one was washed many many times back in the day. Paint held up good. If you look you can see some of the really fine lines.And lettering.
    Even though it is really faded.
    I've air brushed vans, interior walls all kinds of objects. I don't think I used one since early 2000. Reason I gave them away. Mine were highend/expensive ones. They do offer better control than cheaper ones.
    t-shirt.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  7. Brian027

Brian027

Try Barlows Tackle. I’ve made several purchases from them. They have pages of lure bodies. I don’t know about Muskie size.

8. Personal Business

Personal Business

That is the type of advice I’m looking for.
    A year from now I hope to have something to show you and the others that have made comments helping me out.
    Thanks again Piketroller

9. Personal Business

Personal Business

I’m m interested enough to research the Lokes for their profile to see if the may fit my plans. I’ll get back to you soon and thanks for your time and input.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  10. Mike Zainea

Mike Zainea

I have been making muskie lures for a while. Take a look at my facebook Lake St Clair Muskie Shop then give me a call.

Personal Business likes this.
  11. Personal Business

Personal Business

Thanks for all the information.
    Let me know when you have a class for Airbrush 101 (lol).
    seriously, thanks for all your time & info that you have supplied me. Hopefully I’ll be on my way starting my new hobby and maybe some rough drafts of painted lures for you to review, comment on. Oh, buy the way the pic of the Dyno Rat looked kind of familiar to me. I don’t know if it because I had watched quite a few Rat Rod shows in the past or some car shows between the 80s-90’s. Not only is pic done well but you can feel what type the character Dyno Rat is like.

ebijack likes this.
  12. ebijack

ebijack

Thanks!
    Dyno rat is what they used to call every guy who ran dynamometers for any of the big three.
    Engine, trans, axles all testing/development using dyno's.
    One day, one of our bosses stated "all we do is sit around and smoke cigarettes and drink coffee.
    So I made that t-shirt. I was told I couldn't wear it at work. Really? Soooo I made 20+ of them and everyone wore them on fridays. I made/painted a couple more designs with my rat guy. Got in even more trouble. Fun times.
    Most everyone I worked with was a car guy. In multiple car clubs etc. We'd wear them at car shows once in awhile.
    Anyways, if you need help just ask.

13. piketroller

piketroller

When you get things figured out, I’ve got a couple big Rapala glidin’ raps I’d like some new color on. They are basically a very slow sinking super shad rap without the lip.

14. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Have you had much success with them? I had some of those when they came out. The old wood Magic Makers outfished them 5:1, even without paint.. New plastic Magic Makers seem to have the same success as the Gliding Rap. Meanwhile the plastic saltwater X-Rap glider is a deadly post cold front bait.....
    15872162780394166389173431677951.jpg

Personal Business likes this.
  15. piketroller

piketroller

Yes, but they aren’t an every day bait. Most of the times I’ve wanted to fish them, the conditions don’t match. The ones I have are the black back/pearl sides that are good in clear water. But most fall days the water is muddy and I need something bright. They are also hard to fish in 20 mph winds because you have to mange the tugs and pauses, and the boat moving doesn’t help.

ESOX likes this.